Will Forsberg's scoring record from the 1993 WJC ever be beaten?

Will Forsberg's scoring record from the 1993 WJC ever be beaten?

• Total voters

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
In 1993 Peter Forsberg scored 31 points in 7 games at the World Juniors, a record still standing. Will it ever be beaten? And when?

Sidenote: The most anyone has scored since then is 18 points in 7 games by Brayden Schenn in 2011.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The chemistry he had with Naslund and Sundstrom was insane. Playing a sad sack team like Japan helped, but those 3 were crazy together.

I could only see it happening if a player played in 3 or more likely 4 tournaments. While some guys play in it during their draft year, they almost never play in it the year before.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The chemistry he had with Naslund and Sundstrom was insane. Playing a sad sack team like Japan helped, but those 3 were crazy together.

I could only see it happening if a player played in 3 or more likely 4 tournaments. While some guys play in it during their draft year, they almost never play in it the year before. McDavid didn't even make TC his first two OHL seasons, he waited until 2015.

McDavid was there in 2014.

As always, "ever" is a long time. I can see it being beaten if a few things happen at the same time. An overqualified 19 year old, maybe playing due to a lockout or a Russian playing in the KHL for a few years, a group with exceptionally weak teams (particularly if the tournament ever expands) and a lot of luck.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Nah, not enough patsy teams anymore. Forsberg had 10 points in a 20-1 win over Japan. Even Schenn had 5 in a 10-1 win over Norway.

I seem to also recall it's frowned upon to give an opposing team that bad of a drubbing. If you hit 10-1 in a tournament like that, you ease up on the gas.

With this mentality in place, no one is ever going to supplant Forsberg for that record.

Reactions: MrOT

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Nah, not enough patsy teams anymore. Forsberg had 10 points in a 20-1 win over Japan. Even Schenn had 5 in a 10-1 win over Norway.
I read the title and didn't believe he had that many and saw this post and was like "ooooooooooohhhh"

yeah this record prob stays until the tournament is expanded in games

Reactions: Ben White

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
I read the title and didn't believe he had that many and saw this post and was like "ooooooooooohhhh"

yeah this record prob stays until the tournament is expanded in games

In all fairness the Japan blowout was pretty impressive in its own right. After all the Japans qualified over countries like Switzerland and their general negative goal differential wasn't that unusual back in the days (maybe slightly bigger) for the lesser teams. Canada beat them by 8-1, Finland by 7-0, much more "normal" numbers. But Sweden had that kind of team, and especially the first line, that year that could really bully teams. Finland, Czech and Russia got completely destroyed as well if you watched the games, but the numbers weren't as big off course. However 9-2, 5-1 and 7-2 vs these teams were pretty impressive. Canada's (who lost to the Czechs btw) early win over Sweden was actually a little bit like the JWC's answer to "Miracle on ice" ;)

Reactions: Ben White

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It was also a perfect storm for Forsberg in that, aside from the absolutely laughable Japan team, he also played in the tournament as a 19 year old that was clearly better than the level of play. Most players who are that good are usually in the NHL by age 18, and thus aren't even available to play in the WJC for their 18 and 19 year old seasons.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I seem to also recall it's frowned upon to give an opposing team that bad of a drubbing. If you hit 10-1 in a tournament like that, you ease up on the gas.

With this mentality in place, no one is ever going to supplant Forsberg for that record.

I wonder if there’s any footage of that game? I’ve never seen any. Would’ve been kind of fun to see those 10 points in one game by Forsberg :popcorn::naughty: :nod::confused::help::laugh::eek::rolleyes::popcorn:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It seems pretty unlikely, especially with how competitive the tournament has become. It would either take a tournament where absolutely everything went right or a Gretzky level player, possibly both.

Reactions: MrOT

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
It was also a perfect storm for Forsberg in that, aside from the absolutely laughable Japan team, he also played in the tournament as a 19 year old that was clearly better than the level of play. Most players who are that good are usually in the NHL by age 18, and thus aren't even available to play in the WJC for their 18 and 19 year old seasons.

This mostly applies for NA players and especially nowadays. In Forsberg's era this was rather the norm for European players to play in Europe when they were 19 and play in the World Juniors.

That's one reason the top 10 WJC scoring list historically is dominated by Europeans. So this takes nothing away really from Forsberg's performance more than it does from any other young European WJC scoring leader of the past.

Edit: Btw Forsberg also dominated the Swedish elite league (which was very strong at the time with players like Loob, Mats Näslund returning from the NHL) as a 18-19 year old. Leading the scoring race for most of the season and got beaten by Swedish legend Håkan Loob by only 4 points in 1 less game carrying a young MODO team on his shoulders. Interesting sidetones: Forsberg had almost as many goals as assists and was 3rd in the league in penalties :sarcasm:.

Poängliga Elitserien 1992-93
Pl Namn LagMaUtvMålAssPoäng
1 Håkan Loob Färjestads BK4028252651
2 Peter Forsberg Modo Hockey3992232447
3 Raimo Helminen Malmö IF405993342
4 Greg Parks Leksands IF3966211940
5 Mika Nieminen Luleå HF4028172340
Utvisningsliga Elitserien 1992-93
Pl Namn LagMaMålAssPoängUtv
1 Heinz Ehlers Rögle BK387263397
2 Tomas Jonsson Leksands IF388152393
3 Peter Forsberg Modo Hockey3923244792
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Check that goal from 0:20 that's a goalscorers goal

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
No. Kids are too good now and too prideful. Also lesser teams somehow always have a goalie who will go full Patrick Roy and keep the game respectable. Sorry kid but Fappa is the bests almost as unbreakable as Gretzky point I total.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Markus Naslund, Forsberg's linemate, is 2nd all-time with 24 points (tied with Helminen) in one tournament.

Forsberg and Reichel are the two highest scorers in WJC history, with 42 and 40 points respectively. But, they achieved those totals in different ways: Forsberg only played when he was 18 and 19, (didn't play when he was 17); Reichel, though, played in 3 tournaments, when he was 16, 17, 18 (he was in the NHL, and didn't play, when he was 19).

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The rest of the world would have to have a substantial fall-off in the participation levels at the youth level; which would allow class-separation in the level of play. Global warming, pandemics which shut down sports; civil unrest. It's not unreasonable to think that the bottom three or four qualifying nations could see a generational shift away from hockey, allowing Canada/USA/Russia/Sweden to produce a generational-type of class that is head-and-shoulders above their peers.

I think this record falls in my lifetime (God-willing I get another ~ 40 years) - but it's unforeseeable as to when.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Also worth noting how the European top prospects tend to come to North America earlier than they did back then. A 19.5 year old high draft pick like Forsberg would likely already be playing in the NHL and thus be unable to participate.

For example, 17 year old Puljujärvi was the highest scoring recent player with 17 points in 7 games, but didn't participate in WJC the next 2 years when he was eligible because he was already with the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad