Proposal: Will Flames trade for a good goalie?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don’t think he was the problem but won’t be surprised if flames are opened to it.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Really? I heard something different. Pretty sure the announcers said that Smith played well and his team let him down

he played well in the 1st game, I'll give him that. In any case he is 37 and a UFA and they will not re-sign him.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
As for the trade, it’s a no for me. Georgiev is unproven and I wouldn’t be anymore comfortable with a Rittich/Georgiev tandem than I was to start this season with Rittich/Smith.

I also have a hard time calling Frolik a cap dump. Flames fans love him, and if it weren’t for his agents comments, I don’t think I’d be expecting him to be moved. 4.3 isn’t great, but it’s only one more year and he put up 34 in 65 this season. I would think he’d still have some sort of value to a team

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I thought the Flames would lose in the playoffs due to their goaltender. As it was the only reason they were not swept and totally outclassed was due to their goaltending.

And it hurts me to say Smith was good.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Flames need goaltending going forward, yes smith was good in that playoffs. But going forward, the Flames need goal tending, Smith will be 38 years old and you never know about his groin.

Reactions: Boomstick

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Switch the salary dump to Michael Stone* and I'm sort of interested. It's admittedly a bit of a gamble for the Flames. Ideally we'd acquire someone with more experience but the market and salary cap being what they are I could see this happening.
Smith was a warrior in the playoffs but I'm not sure if he even wants to come back. And for the majority of the season he was indeed super bad.

* While Frolik has a bigger cap hit I think he has actual trade value while Stone has none.

edit: Just noticed that Georgiev played for Kipper's old team in Finland, TPS Turku. This is meant to be.

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Unproven backups have garnered 1sts before. The fact he's 23 should be a plus. Better than giving up a 1st for a 27 year old unproven goalie.
Theres unproven and then theres a guy with 43 career games. No one will pay a first for that, if i want potential ill take knight

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Goaltending wasn’t the issue....was the least of the Flames issues TBH.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Number one guys are hard to find. Maybe they can find a good goalie to share the duties with Rittich. Assuming they don’t bring Smith back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad