Will Erik Karlsson have a top 4 role on team Sweden in the Olympics?

Will Erik Karlsson have a top 4 role on team Sweden in the Olympics?

• No he’ll be xtra defender at best

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
18 pts in 22 games, solid rebound he is having hope he follows past seasons trends and goes on a even hotter streak after the all star break.

Reactions: Dutronc

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Quite an interesting topic; though it would be more interesting if Karlsson wasn't having as good of a season as he is having now. National teams tend to have their own different criteria for roster roles, and current NHL performance isn't always as heavily weighed as one might think. Even if Karlsson's season was terrible, he would probably still have a chance of getting a major role in Tre Kronor, just because he's Erik Karlsson, one of the most recognizable names in Swedish hockey and is somewhat of a leadership figure.

Voted yes.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
18 pts in 22 games, solid rebound he is having hope he follows past seasons trends and goes on a even hotter streak after the all star break.

The points come almost automatically for EK, as dumb as it sounds, I'm not sure that's ever an indication of his 'true play' (minus extreme dips or surges obviously).

However my buddies have said in the last week or two he is in full flight, I'm sure some Sharks fans can confirm, and if that's even remotely the case, he should absolutely have at least a spot. He's a Swedish legacy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Makes more sense to put them on different pairings and give them some solid defensive partners like Brodin/Ekholm/Lindholm
Pretty much this.

As for the OP , I have no idea on what is in the Swedish coaching team philosophy for the Olympics but I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t on the team just on reputation and experience.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it probably ultimately comes down to how the chemistry and role deployment fits, more than anything else. If he fits with Hedman, he'll be playing in a de facto "top pairing" role. If not, who knows where exactly he fits in. The other RHD in Klingberg and Andersson kind of fill a similar sort of role, so it's going to be a project trying to put the whole thing together, and i wouldn't even be surprised if they brought a RHD that's completely different, like Adam Larsson, just to have that element. You can only have so many guys on the PP, you're gonna need some RHD for the PK and stuff.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yes. He's having a nice bounceback season. He's top 2 with Hedman. They may play on separate pairings, but they'll be their top 2 defensemen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t select him for the team. Way too much of a defensive liability, and Sweden has top pairing defenseman that won’t even make it.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Hopefully gonna look something like Hedman, Karlsson, Klingberg, Lindholm, Andersson, Brodin to start. Forsling as a 7th and then Dahlin or Ekholm as a joker.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
terrible prospect takes and now player?

Where does it stop.

It doesn't stop. I don't think there's another sport than hockey where fans understand so little about the game in general. To be honest, it's a complicated sport, a lot of moving parts and it goes pretty fast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad