OT: Will Doug Weight ever be honored in Edmonton?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Weight has been retired from playing for a few seasons now, and I'm not advocating that his number be retired, but I really hope we see a night in the next year or 2 dedicated to him. Weight was one of the few positives in the mid 90s and while other guys were taking off to make higher pay, he's the one who stayed and wanted to bring the cup home to Edmonton.

Anyone else agree that we should have a Doug Weight night?

Jun 22, 2009
I think we should retire his damn jersey. He was one of the only reasons the 90s teams weren't what the Oilers are now. In my opinion other then one year of Pronger he's the best player since messier in Edmonton.

Jun 22, 2009
And he really loves this city. Every interveiw he's questioned about Edmonton he talks how our fanbase is the best and how much he loved his time here. Great guy and a great player.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think he should get a tribute when the Islanders are here in March. It'll be the first time he's been in Edmonton since his retirement. I was more upset with his departure than any other Oiler in the past 20 years. He was a treat to watch, a great captain, and a class act. It's really too bad they couldn't keep him; that 2001 team was on the verge of becoming a top team imo.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think we should retire his damn jersey. He was one of the only reasons the 90s teams weren't what the Oilers are now. In my opinion other then one year of Pronger he's the best player since messier in Edmonton.

We need to have different levels of jersey recognition

for a jersey to get retired now--he need to be in the hall of fame
but we should have ring of honour where players, while not being hall of famers did go beyond the call of duty while being an oilers

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Before Doug Weight came around, I actually stopped watching hockey so often. If it was a Saturday night and my friends were not up to anything I might have watched the Oilers if they were playing a good team and I would try to pretend that the Oilers had nothing to do with me but it annoyed the hell out of me every time we watched them lose.

When Weight came around and started pulling his own Weight, I was happy to watch the Oilers again.

I don't want to see Weight's number retired, but I think we should have a Doug Weight night once every 2-3 years.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I see the Oilers having a Ring of Honor similar to Pittsburgh's, whenever New Rexall Place is eventually built. Basically an interactive screen with a write-up, stats, career highlights, video clips, etc. for each player. Weight will have his day. No hurry.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I think he should get a tribute when the Islanders are here in March. It'll be the first time he's been in Edmonton since his retirement. I was more upset with his departure than any other Oiler in the past 20 years. He was a treat to watch, a great captain, and a class act. It's really too bad they couldn't keep him; that 2001 team was on the verge of becoming a top team imo.

If they were able to keep Cujo, and Guerin that team could've made some serious noise in the playoffs.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006

One of my favorite Oilers of all time, he got things done in every way someone could for their team.

The Oilers should hang his jersey from the rafters but only retire #'s for the epic players like the mess, gretz etc.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
weight.gif

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Nope, not good enough for Copper n' Blue rafters.

Which is unfortunate because with those lofty expectations, I can't see any player heading up there anytime soon.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Nope, not good enough for Copper n' Blue rafters.

Which is unfortunate because with those lofty expectations, I can't see any player heading up there anytime soon.

the thread isn't about whether his number should be retired or not. Even with out plans to retire him, the Oilers brass should still put on a night commemorating his career, especially the time he spent here in Edmonton. He meant alot to the city and was never shy about expression how much he loved it here.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

but we should have ring of honour where players, while not being hall of famers did go beyond the call of duty while being an oilers

This.

Also include Kevin Lowe to honour his playing time and his retirement from the organization. :handclap:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008

I agree with this

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Loved the guy in the years he spent in Edmonton, much of the time on really bad teams. His career is shadowed for me by the fact that he left for money which the OIlers weren't going to be able to give him. Don't blame the guy personally, but that was a dark period to be an Oilers fan, and it hurt when he left. And I stood in Carolina and watched him hoist the cup while tears rolled down my cheeks. That can stand as his reward, he doesn't need a love-in in Edmonton.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Can't fault the guy for ending up playing against us in the finals.

Doug was a beauty, he needs to have a tribute when he comes to Rexall.

This was burned into my brain when it happened.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
:help: the man deserved to hoist the cup, the man deserves our respect
He deserves some respect sure, but don't forget he just walked away from here for a raise and left this team high and dry.

As far as getting his uni retired is concerned he can go to hell.

I'd rather see Fernando Pisani, Jason Smith, Kelly Buchberger, Steve Staios and a few other character guys up there way ahead.

For all I know some of those guys already have their uni's up there. I really don't know lol.

And I'm not usually the type to boo, but I would boo him during the ceremony.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad