Sidney Crosby 100 points watch : It’s in the book! 100 Pts in 79 GP

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
The question might already been asked, but let’s go more in deep here.

For the first 9-10 years of his career, Sidney Crosby had no problem hitting 100 points each season, in fact, he was doing it relatively easily. It’s interesting to see how his offensive production declined since the past 4-5 years compare to pre 2014. It seems like his career has been split in two parts : for the first part, he was a regular 100 points player and the second part, a regular 85-90 points player :

PPGOn pace for (82 games)
From 05-06 to 13-141,40115 pts
Since 2014-151,1191 pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Crosby has been a point per game player throughout all his career, which is great on every standard. But considering that he’s a generational player and doesn’t show any sign of decline, it’s kinda disappointing to see him as a 80-85 points scorer. It’s surprising that he hasn’t hit 100 points in 5 years.

Crosby is actually on pace for 97 points (missed 3 games), so I guess the odds are about 50/50 that he’ll reach 100 points by the end of the season.

Here’s the main reasons why I think he’ll hit 100 points and why he likely won’t :

Yes because :
  • Sid already proved in recent years that he can produce on a 100 points pace. Look at the 2016 & 2018 calendar years :
YearPTSGP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That being said, if he can score 100 points throughout an whole calendar year, why not in a reg season?
  • Better linemates : Jake is possibly the best winger that Crosby had over his career. It sure helps Crosby’s point production to have a potential elite player on his side able to finish his plays.
No because :
  • Lack of puck luck : it sounds silly but Crosby might have the worst puck luck I’ve ever seen from a Superstar player. He has to bust his ass for every single points he gets. He can’t take it easy and pick up 3 points like Malkin and Kessel do sometimes. The lack of puck luck is what separate a 1-2 points game from those 4-5 points game he used to have back then.
  • Streaky player : did you notice in the past few seasons that Crosby can be inconsistent at times? He can put up 20 points in 10 games and then all of a sudden go on a slump for 10 games. Didn’t happen yet this season, but it tended to happen in the last several years. At the end, that’s what separate a 100 points season from a 85 points season.
EDIT : With 31 games left in the season, Sid needs 40 points to hit the milestone. So what are your thoughts? Do you think Crosby will reach 100 points this season ? Feel free to explain why!

Last edited:
Reactions: wizmet12

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
In all that, you needed to have put how many points he needs and how many games he has to do it.

He needs 42 points in 32 games. 1.31 PPG pace. His PPG pace this year is 1.23.

I'd love for him to hit it but I'll say he doesn't. I think he falls a little short and hits mid 90 points.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Probably not. I kind of doubt he ever will again, he's been carrying this team this season and still not on pace to do it. Every year he'll get a quarter of a step slower and the emphasis for him hasn't been the regular season since the 2016 cup.

And you know what, I'm totally fine with that. Even if he never breaks 100 again he's still going to be ppg+ for quite some time while being an overall more complete player.

Last edited:

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Probably not. I kind of doubt he ever will again, he's been carrying this team this season and still not on pace to do it. Every year he'll get a quarter of a step slower and the emphasis for him hasn't been the regular season since the 2016 cup.

And you now what, I'm totally fine with that. Even if he never breaks 100 again he's still going to be ppg+ for quite some time while being an overall more complete player.

I think this year is the absolute last call. If he doesn’t do it, while carrying the team like you said, he won’t ever again

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
He's actually on pace to have his best season 5on5 since his 36-game 12/13 campaign. Hidden in plain sight is how much better of a defensive player he has become. The 5on5 GF% of 71% is excellent and 1.79 GA/60 is the 2nd lowest among Penguin forwards (ZAR).

If you want to straight up compare him to Connor McDavid this season:

5on5 P/60: 3.09 vs 2.82
5on5 GA/60: 1.79 vs 2.89
5on5 GF%: 71.0 vs 52.3
5on5 GF% Rel: 24.78 vs 11.2

To answer your original question, if he stays with Jake & Simon, yes.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If the Penguins PP starts getting more opportunities he will. Uphill battle as it stands now.. he’ll have to continue to be the best 5 on 5 player while missing no more games.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'd say no.

He's missed so many 4pt nights this year.

He just is too focused on making overall plays to do it.

I think he's fine if he was pivotal to a goal...digging it out of boards but two other players touched it before someone else shoots it in.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
His last multipoint game was on January 8th. I think he has a big game soon.

He’s having a great year whether he hits 100 points or not.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If he stays healthy he could do it if it was a goal he would focus on, but I think he will be more focused on getting to and being ready for playoffs.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
If he stays healthy he could do it if it was a goal he would focus on, but I think he will be more focused on getting to and being ready for playoffs.

agreed. Sid winning post season hardware is far more valuable than regular season hardware...

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
If we could actually play with that killer instinct on the bottom feeders like we do against Tampa and Washington he'd already be on well on pace.

With how tight the east is we're entering what we call #CrunchTime so we NEED to start doing that. I'm gonna say he hits it and all it's gonna take is for either him to start burying a lot more shots himself or someone other than Jake to start scoring at a bit higher of a margain. Another Rust-like slump-buster stretch of scoring needs to happen but with Simon or Even Guentzel could start potting a few more of his quality opportunities and have himself a nice PPG season.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm saying yes.

He's currently on pace for 100 points. Him and Guentzel are working well together and if he can get as many two point games as possible then I see it happening. He is due a big 4/5 point night. Right now he needs 40 points in 32 games. 1.25 PPG. He hit his 40th point in game #33. So, possible.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
He understands the grind. Points don't matter to Sid.

To be honest I think he'll win a Selke before he ever hits 100 points.

I'd love to see him do it but I just don't get the feeling it will happen and honestly who cares?

His legacy will be the Cup wins he has led this team to. I think any further adds to his resume will come in the postseason. Or as I said winning a Selke in the back half of his career like a Yzerman.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As for the question, if no injuries possibly. Crosby usually saves his best hockey for the end of the year playoff push.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
His game was completely different pre-concussion. He went from an energetic, goal-to-goal points-getter to a guy who hangs around the goal looking for tip-ins and quick shots. It's always been shocking to me how so few people talk about this. The guy is so good at this game he can completely rewire himself to play whatever role he wants.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My guess is he misses out due to those games injured but has a 100 point pace. Only takes one hot spell to make it look a lot easier though.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
eh, if a mod sees this post...delete, please...i contributed nothing of value in this post hahah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad