Will Crosby ever win the Selke?

Will Crosby ever win the Selke?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Out dueling someone in a matchup doesn’t mean you’re Selke worthy. That just means you’re better in that matchup. Gretzky outdueling Mario 6-5 in a game doesn’t mean Gretzky is Selke worthy.

To copy what I posted in a recent thread where someone said Crosby would never win a Selke simply because it’s a reputation award and Bergeron has a better reputation:

Respectfully, this is such nonsense. Crosby has never and will never come close to beating Bergeron (or anyone) for a Selke because Crosby has never been and will never be close to Bergeron (or anyone who’s elite) defensively.

In the past 3 (shortened) seasons, Bergeron has been on the ice for 45 less even strength goals against despite playing in 5 more games than Crosby.

Crosby was on the ice for 45 even strength goals against this yr in 55 games. To put that into perspective, Bergeron, Datsyuk, and Kopitar were on the ice for an average of 41 even strength goals against during their first Selke wins. Not in 55 games though, in 82 games.

Just because Crosby became more defensively conscious the past handful of years doesn’t mean he’s actually become anywhere near elite at it. He hasn’t. Stop this nonsense myth.

To be fair, Crosby's 5v5 Goals is considerably lower which suggests he was on for a lot of 3v3, EN, etc goals which tends to not be a good indicator for defense. He was on for 31 5v5 goals and his 5v5 GA/60 was 2.06. Bergeron only has one year in the last 7 with a 5v5 GA/60 that's lower. He has a number of better years before that but that was also on a more defensive team and in a lower scoring league. I agree that Crosby isn't on the level of the Bergerons/O'Reillys of the world, but he is pretty good at limiting chances against, though partly because of his offensive ability. His regression numbers are pretty good as well:

download (47).png

While I don't think he belongs in Selke convos, I do think the attention for his all around game improving as his totals have declined is somewhat justified

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think Crosby is fine defensively. One of the three best in the game at it? No.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Crosby has never shut anyone down, he is deployed overwhelmingly for offense, and he doesn't kill penalties.

The Canadian media flat out lies for him - pretending he does these things. It is bizarre to watch.

Ever since McDavid came into the league they've had to change on Crosbys standing in the league. Media is pathetic

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pavel Datsyuk??? Im not sure why killing penalties is so important for the Selke anyways.

Reality doesn’t matter here, it’s a false narrative brought up by the high noon decider just to slag Crosby.

The Selke is a huge reputation trophy and while he has an argument to be a finalist and might be at some point I doubt he wins one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Crosby will get a reputation nomination for the Selke, perhaps even this year, but he definitely shouldn't win one.

He actually had a case for being a finalist in 2019-2020, his defensive analytics were absolutely phenomenal. It wasn't as good as someone like Couturier, who should be winning the Selke basically every year at this point IMO, but it was definitely good enough to be in the conversation for a finalist. But that's the closest he has ever gotten.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Crosby will get a reputation nomination for the Selke, perhaps even this year, but he definitely shouldn't win one.

He actually had a case for being a finalist in 2019-2020, his defensive analytics were absolutely phenomenal. It wasn't as good as someone like Couturier, who should be winning the Selke basically every year at this point IMO, but it was definitely good enough to be in the conversation for a finalist. But that's the closest he has ever gotten.

Do you mean as a "finalist"? Because they already announced the 3 finalists and he's not one of them.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If this is the way people feel about awards, then why does everybody on HFBoards seem to put such a premium on Hart trophy wins, or nominations, etc?

If it really just comes down to idiots voting in a herd mentality for their selected golden boy, why the hell should any of us care about any award voted on by any group?

We should not.

When it is close, awards are story-driven. They are mostly voted on by journalists after all.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Crosby has to be one THE MOST OVERATED player when it comes down to 2-way play. But I get it, he is good Canadian ol' boy. He barely plays during penalty kills, practically never, never been anything special when it comes down to defense. A lot of people here have a narrative that as long as you are the center and a star player, you automatically a good two-way player, which is not true at all.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
His two way game gets overrated to compensate for his lack of art rosses. Good all around player but he’s not one of the best defensive forwards he’s an offense first guy.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
If this is the way people feel about awards, then why does everybody on HFBoards seem to put such a premium on Hart trophy wins, or nominations, etc?

If it really just comes down to idiots voting in a herd mentality for their selected golden boy, why the hell should any of us care about any award voted on by any group?

I don't really care about them so there's that. People act is if "player x is far superior to player y because the former got the Hart in x year" it's ridiculous. Same goes for arbitrary numbers like "he scored 100pts so he is vastly superior to x who scored 97".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad