Will Crosby catch Ovechkin in points by the end of the season? (Part II)

Will Crosby catch Ovechkin in points by the end of the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
And how many games has Reinhart played as a 1C, given he's played only three less games than Barkov?

Huberdeau, at a guess, doesn't draw the same heat Sid does as I imagine Barkov's line gets it. Etc.etc.

If you judge solely by points per game, then I guess it is a huge stretch. Personally I think it's a huge stretch to judge best player off of points per game alone.

edit: Conversely, I don't think he's anywhere near the Hart, as it's basically impossible to be there when you were a non-factor for about 15 games.

I'm not saying Reinhart has been better - I'm just saying even Reinhart's offense is slightly superior to Crosby since Dec 1st. How can you argue Crosby is best in league when he's barely above Reinhart, let alone guys like Matthews, Huberdeau etc. He's pretty far back.

Points per game isn't the end all be all for offense, but it's a good gauge. Goals are also important, and Matthews has 22 goals in 23 games.

There's no room for 'in argument of best player since Dec 1st'. Maybe if the poster said he has an argument for top 5 best player since dec 1st that would be more reasonable.

For hart - I don't think Crosby would win, but I could see him finishing with a strong finish like a top 3-5. He has a great narrative with being his team's best player and his return coinciding with their rise up the standings.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
So let's pretend for one second that +/- was the deciding factor for who's better defensively, Sid would have a whopping +4 margin on Matthews this season, but suddenly if you go back to the beginning of 2019-20 Crosby is +12 in total and Matthews is +48.

For the record I think they are close defensively (despite their +/- leading one to believe Matthews is far better for the past 3 seasons), but offensively there's no contest.
Thanks for your three answers. I talked about last 30 games not this season or last 3 seasons if you can read.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
There's no room for 'in argument of best player since Dec 1st'. Maybe if the poster said he has an argument for top 5 best player since dec 1st that would be more reasonable.

For hart - I don't think Crosby would win, but I could see him finishing with a strong finish like a top 3-5. He has a great narrative with being his team's best player and his return coinciding with their rise up the standings.

Do you realize that rising to top 3-5 in hart voting after dec1. After doing nothing before it is pretty good argument for him to be best player since dec1? And we have still been saying arguably so..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad