Will Completed NBA CBA Put Pressure on NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
After the NBA CBA was discussed and finished, do you think that the NHL will be under pressure to get their deal done? I'd tend to think yes. The NHL has been out for a year, and now with one of the "4 Big Sports" completing a CBA, I think the NHL and NHLPA will take a serious look at what they've done, and try to meet each other half way. That's my hope anyway. Any thoughts from you guys?

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Missing a season and not wanting to miss another one is more of an incentive for the NHL/NHLPA to finish their CBA than anything any other league does. The NHL gets no additional revenue from the NBA or anyone else having a CBA.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
If the two sides are still yapping and arguing over issues in the CBA, I would hope the NBA situation wakes them up a little more to just give and take on what's left...just as Stern said in his press conference that the two sides in the NBA did throughout the process.

Doc Hollywood

Feb 1, 2004
Bruins4Ever said:
I think the NHL and NHLPA will take a serious look at what they've done, and try to meet each other half way. hope anyway. A

Half way? I sure hope they are past that point :) The deal will get done soon. There is no added pressure in my mind. They had to make a whole new economic system and they are in the final stages. With no Media attention the last 2 days they must be just going over the fine details and the News Conf will be called.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
IMO they're past the point of giving a damn about what the NBA is doing in their CBA, they need to do this right and if that means a few more weeks, then that's what it means.

I can't see the NHL and its PA feeling any heat to pick up the pace, at least not for this reason.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I actually thought this might help ease the pressure for the owners since they won't have to contend with empty arena's next fall if both leagues were locked out...

Regardless, the deals gonna get done in plenty of time for an 05/06 season. The league might as well fold otherwise......

Doc Hollywood

Feb 1, 2004
Quote From VP Bill Daly

"The NBA has been working with the same basic economic framework for the past 22 years. The issues addressed in the NBA/NBPA negotiation are not comparable with the issues we are attempting to resolve in our negotiation."

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Doc Hollywood said:
Quote From VP Bill Daly

"The NBA has been working with the same basic economic framework for the past 22 years. The issues addressed in the NBA/NBPA negotiation are not comparable with the issues we are attempting to resolve in our negotiation."

(I wish he would've added this as well...)

"It should also be noted that unlike the NBA, we've had to negotiate with a players' association that actually had a working spinal column."

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The NHL deal is already done, it's just being wrapped up tight. There's no additional pressure on them to do anything but get the language airtight as possible.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Crazy_Ike said:
The NHL deal is already done, it's just being wrapped up tight. There's no additional pressure on them to do anything but get the language airtight as possible.

That's pretty much my feeling. The NBA deal will have zero impact on the NHL's deal, given where they're currently at in negotiations already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->