Will Columbus’s success encourage more bubble teams to go all in at the deadline?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
There was some worry that the Blue Jackets were sacrificing too much of their future when they may not even make the playoffs. With their success so far, will it encourage more bubble teams to do this at the trade deadline?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They haven't won the cup yet and it's an idiotic thing to do tbh if you're a bubble team like say NJ or Colorado were last year. The Blue Jackets had a lot of good pieces, depth, and they were playing below potential tbh.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It might, but I suspect it's the sort of copycat maneuver that'll end poorly long-term. We were in an unusually good position in terms of team core youth and prospect pool status to be able to take a leap like that without risking the future. Still, I wouldn't mind watching other teams give it a shot... and who knows, maybe there's other teams in similar positions that just need that extra bit of inspiration to make things interesting.

Reactions: Loriginale

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Columbus was the perfect storm this year. A couple main players are leaving. They won't easily replace Panarin, no matter what they try to do. 20 years, their entire existence, with no playoff wins. Put those variables together again, and you might have another situation like it. So no, it's unlikely to be copied. Most teams aren't dealing with all of those things at the same time.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't think it will be as significant as some might think. We will probably see something similar by a bubble team in the future but it won't be every year and it might not be as "expensive" as to what Columbus did.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well, does your team have some decent players that are struggling and that's why you're a bubble team, or is your bubble team an actual bubble team ?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Not unless those teams are also staring down the barrel of two major pillars of their team leaving in the off-season.

Reactions: SoCalFan

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hope so, sure is more entertaining than being timid and content.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
They won a single playoff series, make this thread if they win the cup

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Its definitely not the smartest thing to do in my opinion but Columbus just proved it can work. Guys just need to get comfortable in time for the playoffs.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well, does your team have some decent players that are struggling and that's why you're a bubble team, or is your bubble team an actual bubble team ?
They were 1 point from equal 4th in the west, 2 from equal 3rd, 3 points from equal 2nd in the west. This isn't a 90 point team that limped in.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Had never won a playoff series prior to this year and are likely to lose a pair of vital pieces in free agency. Bobrovsky's(?) price in particular is only going up.

Yeah...they kind of had to go for it

Even though they'll likely pay for it next year and possibly beyond.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They were 1 point from equal 4th in the west, 2 from equal 3rd, 3 points from equal 2nd in the west. This isn't a 90 point team that limped in.

Well, if by my post you're assuming I'm saying Columbus is the bubble team that's an actual bubble team, then you didn't get it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is a unique case. They needed to win a series to hold onto their fan base with Panarin and Bob walking away. They have a chance to keep Duchene now. If they don't their customers finally had something to cheer for even if they lost the next round.

Most other bubble teams are not that desperate

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Blue Jackets weren't just another bubble team though.

They have one of the best goalies in the league in Bobrovsky, a game-changing forward in Panarin, and a very strong top pairing in Werenski - Jones. Add to that they have quality depth pieces that are not very fun to play against.

Their main additions were a speedy, skilled top six center and speedy scoring depth in Dzingel. They addressed their main issues with their teams with both additions.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There was some worry that the Blue Jackets were sacrificing too much of their future when they may not even make the playoffs. With their success so far, will it encourage more bubble teams to do this at the trade deadline?

absolutely

trade market next season will be on fire

also Stone has worked out very nicely for Vegas

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I sure hope so, makes the playoffs even more interesting. Realistically though it will have a bell-curve effect. Teams will ramp up the major trades (arms race) until the prices get too high and then it'll stop altogether (bankruptcy) after a lull the cycle will begin anew (history repeats).

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Echoing what other posters have said. It makes no sense for 99% of bubble teams because they either have no assets/prospect pool, their core is young and locked up, or they have recent playoff success. Not to mention that Columbus has a hard time attracting free agents or players with NTC/NMC, so it's not like they could just find another Panarin or Bob in the next few years either unless they drafted them.

To answer the question, no. You won't see any bubble teams doing it unless they are confident that their core pieces are leaving.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
They did not go all in. When you look at what they traded away, it is reasonable. It is not like they traded away all their first round picks for the next ten years, they got decent deals.

And like many people in this thread have said, they were in an unique situation where their big names are potentially going to walk out and there is no time to keep building slowly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad