Speculation: Will Butcher

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It's going to be really hard to get trades done right now, but with Hischier's injury and Bratt missing the start of the year without a contract right now, it might not be a bad idea to flip him for forward help.

If Crawford's personal break from the Devils right now ends up with him retiring, then perhaps the Devils might trade him for a reliable goaltender. Fleury is the first name that comes to mind here, I would imagine Vegas might be very keen to move his cap hit.

Devils can likely get better value for Butcher than a goaltender, but they can't afford overplaying Blackwood and ruining his development. They might just end up taking what they can get at this point.
If Crow is out, and MAF is next up can we get a sweetener if we make it worthwhile?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If we’re not getting a top 6 forward, I’d rather just keep him. A non-1st round pick wouldn’t do it for me.
He has no term. Zero percent chance that you get a 1st rounder for a guy who had to sign a 1yr deal a week before the season started.
You'd be lucky to see a 2nd at the deadline from a desperate team, but with a flat cap I doubt we see as many 1sts/2nds moved; teams will need guys on ELCs over the next 3 years.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Maybe learn to read? And the Devils got Bahl, Merkley, and Dawson Mercer for a few dozen games of Taylor Hall — that was a good return.

The guy has a good point regarding Butcher's value though, if you expect top 6 player for him, it'd have to be a bad contract e. g. Tyler Johnson and I wouldn't want to do it. Butcher is way too expensive for what he brings.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Maybe learn to read? And the Devils got Bahl, Merkley, and Dawson Mercer for a few dozen games of Taylor Hall — that was a good return.

I mean, a *lot* of devils fans were talking about Bowen Byram when the speculation was going on. A lot. I think that is what he is referring to. While the value that came back in trade was ultimately good, it was not BB.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I mean, a *lot* of devils fans were talking about Bowen Byram when the speculation was going on. A lot. I think that is what he is referring to. While the value that came back in trade was ultimately good, it was not BB.

Byram was definitely discussed, but by the time the trade went down most Devils fans were hoping for Newhook or Timmins. The return from Arizona was certainly in that ballpark.

Reactions: HBK27

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
As others pointed out, Butcher has literally become millionaire due to signing with a team that had (and still has) bad defence. And he did it with below average skating, no physicality and meh shot. He's a smart player but on most teams he would be buried in AHL and would have to live off 2-way contracts.

I don’t believe anyone interpreting Butcher situation that landed him the NJD is wrong. Personally, I believe Butcher made the absolutely right decision.

After he graduated, AVs still had a terrible defense with no prospects and might be as poor as the NJD. It was Roy that told Butcher around the 3rd college season there is no future being a smallish DMan. After Roy quit the team, Sakic tried to heal the rift and offered Butcher an opportunity. He used his right to reject and explored other opportunities which led to the NJD.

In hindsight, NJD is absolutely the correct the decision. AVs the next few season added: Makar, Girard, Byram, Timmins, Barron and Helleson. I consider his situation to be comparable to losing NJD college UFA Kerfoot. Excellent short term opportunities due to the lack of depth, but would be traded as the prospects improve. NJD continues to rebuild and allowed more opportunities not available if he chose the AVs.

AVs loss was NJD gain.

Reactions: hidek91

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
You'd think after the Hall trade NJ fans would have more realistic expectations of their players' value.
We did fine on the Hall trade, I mean we wanted Byram, which worked down to Newhook, but Hall was being a lil bitch and what we got was great

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
We did fine on the Hall trade, I mean we wanted Byram, which worked down to Newhook, but Hall was being a lil bitch and what we got was great
No way you were getting Newhook. Which goes back to my point that you guys are conveniently glossing over; lower your expectations a little.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Not sure why he would leave NJ, Id love a guy like Butcher on the canucks

Devilinlillinois

Jun 5, 2015
A bunch of magic beans. My point still stands.

You're not getting a top 6 forward or a 1st for Butcher.

You obviously didn't watch how well Merkley was playing the few games he got to with Jersey he was doing pretty damn good. Now Bahl and Mercer can be a toss up yes but saying all the Devils got in return was magic beans is not true at all.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Looking around the league and there just aren't a ton of LD spots that are vacant. I could maybe see the Kings having a spot but I'm not sure Butcher's the type of D they'd be looking at. Before they acquired Zadorov, I thought Butcher to Chicago could have made some sense (obviously different types of D, but filled a spot regardless).

LAK: Maatta|MacDermid|Bjornfot|Anderson|Clague

Yeah, LA doesn't really have room since acquiring Maatta. We have Maatta and Anderson with guaranteed spots, then we have Clague and Bjornfot who are looking to break into the league soon and Cole Hults who may surprise, and MacDermid (who CapFriendly lists as an RD but isn't) is a fan favorite and would need to clear waivers. I just don't see it. The Kings wouldn't be giving up assets for sure.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
You obviously didn't watch how well Merkley was playing the few games he got to with Jersey he was doing pretty damn good. Now Bahl and Mercer can be a toss up yes but saying all the Devils got in return was magic beans is not true at all.
Merkley is still a magic bean. Let me know when he plays a full season in the NHL before you make him out to be something he isn't.

This goes back to the discourse about Hall as well. Look at how much he improved Arizona :shakehead

Evergreen

One of these days, these College "free agents" will realize that forgoing the team that drafted you to pick your location has worked for a grand total of 0 players that have done it. I can't think of a single player that has succeeded with the team they chose.
It worked for Kevin Hayes. And Blake Wheeler.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
No way you were getting Newhook. Which goes back to my point that you guys are conveniently glossing over; lower your expectations a little.
Bahl, Mercer, Merkley, Schnarr, I'm good! We have enough small fwds, Newhook would have continued that trend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->