Will Brodeur break the goalie points record

Status Quo*

Possibly. He's definitely from what I've seen been moving the puck down the ice instead of laying it off to a defensemen more this year than what I remember in years past. He needs luck to be on his side though. I wouldn't put it past him to break the record because well he's Marty Brodeur and basically owns every single goaltending record.

Jedi

Jul 20, 2010
North Jersey
It's very possible...but, my guess is, he falls just short.

Depends on how many seasons he plays. If he plays two more seasons after this one (and I think there's a good chance he will), then he has a much better chance than if he retires after next year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It depends on how much longer he plays, and I wouldn't bet on or against him retiring after this contract is up in 2014.

If he can get 4 this year that brings him to 45. Get 4 next year, and that brings him to 48. It would be hard to get 4 in this shortened season, but he got 4 in just 24 playoff games last year which was a record for most points by a goalie in a single playoff season.

I'll vote yes for the hell of it.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
we triviad it up this tonight during the game.

he's never gonna break the fuhr 14!!! Pts in a season. "product of the system" at its finest. :laugh:

.....marty was on a mission tonight with the stick work........i dont care and dont even give the slightest **** about 3 GA. great to watch agressive puck in the defense zone and moving up puck due to him.

the best ever at it. loved the miscue though with the stancion. nothing new or him. steady as......

.....falls short.

but he has shown chemistry with clarkie, so who knows he could get an A or 2 this season. well see.

weve all seen it. still amazing!

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't put it past him to break the record because well he's Marty Brodeur and basically owns every single goaltending record.

Basically this.

I'm actually surprised he didn't have it already lol, but I guess when you're laying the puck up to Mario and Jagr in their prime, you can get some pretty nice leftover scoring.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It would awesome if he did, but I think he will fall short. Just not enough time left. Maybe if the lockouts hadn't taken away seasons of his prime he would have broken it.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
He's not gonna make it. It's pretty amazing how close he is considering he played through the dead puck and trapezoid eras. Also, was the graphic from last night tallying total points or just assists? I thought it was assists.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I doubt it.

He lost his hands years ago. He scares the **** out of me when he plays the puck.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If it weren't for the Brodeur rule, he'd be there by now.

I still think he can do it though.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I hope so, but I don't think he will. He's running out of time. But either way it doesn't really matter, he'll always be considered the greatest puck handling goaltender of all time.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
That would be awesome. I say it's around 50/50 at this point but if I had to guess I would agree that he falls just short.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
tom barrasso only has it cause he got to play with mario lemieux during the 80's and early 90's. all he had to do was stop the puck behind the net on a dump in and leave it for mario to skate through the entire team and score. so even if he doenst get it marty's points are more impressive than tom barrasso's record. even with lemieux out he could do the same the same thing, but with jagr in his place.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think youre right. He couldve opened the game a lot more if it wasnt for the trapezoid.

Could you imagine coming out of the lockout with all the new rules against obstruction, no red line, etc. and Brodeur having free reign to pass the puck. He likely would have racked up quite a few more points.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Im actually surprised Grant Fuhr doesnt hold the record, not because he was a great puckmover but just because he was often passing the puck to Coffey or Gretzky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad