Will bishop walk next year?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Anderson has given the Sens .919% goaltending since joining the team.
and he's done that in a system that's designed to be more offensive rather than a lockdown defensive style. He's been very good for us, and boy is it nice to have him on our team.

However, the more we see Lehner the more it looks like he's not going to be held back much longer. He is dominant right now and appears ready to take the next step.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Andersonhas been one of the best goalies we've ever had here. If some one was to go based on the timing and the fact that Anderson's contract is also cheap for how well he plays for us I think Bushop is the odd man out. That being said I see Bishop resigning and Lehner in the A fur another year... If hockey ever starts ever again.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
If the season is lost and he chooses to, he can walk.

OLD CBA RULES = didley squat.

New CBA Rules = ??????

Until we get a new CBA, every players' status is unresolved. Bishop could be RFA, UFA, or could still be under final year of his contract. Hell if this gets decided by a court, every single player in the NHL could become a UFA, never mind Bishop.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think for sure he'll walk. I would if I was him - Lehner is clearly very close to outgrowing the AHL and Anderson is a solid cheap starter

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Really regretting that Bishop trade. 2nd rounder in a deep draft for maybe only 10 games.

We made the playoffs by 3 points - without Bishop's wins and Lehner wins late in the in season we are a 9th place team.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given Lehner and Anderson are ahead of him on the Sens goalie depth chart I think he walks as a free agent this off-season.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
When I first read the title I thought Bishop suffered a paralyzing injury and I didn't hear about it until now

I too thought this...

But I'd like to keep Bish, it'd be sad to see him go...

Especially when I jokingly said we'd acquire him at the start of the season...

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
We made the playoffs by 3 points - without Bishop's wins and Lehner wins late in the in season we are a 9th place team.

Without Anderson's wins the Sens finish dead last and get relegated to Atom B.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Without Anderson's wins the Sens finish dead last and get relegated to Atom B.

So true - but if you trust your playoff hopes to Alex Auld then maybe you are putting a huge amount of trust in a guy who was showing us all he couldn't get the job done 2 nights in a row.

Anderson sliced his hand open, it was an emergency - Bishop did exactly hat we asked him to do, it wasn't spectacular or overwhelming, but we made the playoffs and that was the goal when we acquired him.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Surprised noone has made a joke about his leaving diagonally. Still makes me laugh thinking about the guy who was raging about that comment when the Sens first traded for him.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
So true - but if you trust your playoff hopes to Alex Auld then maybe you are putting a huge amount of trust in a guy who was showing us all he couldn't get the job done 2 nights in a row.

Anderson sliced his hand open, it was an emergency - Bishop did exactly hat we asked him to do, it wasn't spectacular or overwhelming, but we made the playoffs and that was the goal when we acquired him.

To be honest your post was the only one in the thread I read. I do that a lot now.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
No, sir. Not interested in going with such a young/unproven tandem. Anderson has been great for us. Ride him until his contract expires and then re-evaluate. I'd rather see Bishop walk then trade Anderson.

See I disagree.

Now I do like Anderson, I think he is a 1B type netminder. But by the time this team is going to be ready to really take a swing at a big Cup run, Anderson will likely be too old or have walked anyways.

His percieved value around the league has never been higher and to me now is the time to move him.

We are a rebuilding team, I think some people may have forgotten that.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
See I disagree.

Now I do like Anderson, I think he is a 1B type netminder. But by the time this team is going to be ready to really take a swing at a big Cup run, Anderson will likely be too old or have walked anyways.

His percieved value around the league has never been higher and to me now is the time to move him.

andy is a starter in this league, not a "1b". i think he's about 12th in the league, which makes him better than half the starters. we played an offensive style, so he doesn't get as much help from the defense as some of the goalies i rated higher, so he might be a bit (only a bit) higher than that. i'd like to see who you rate higher than him.

let's say we're ready to take a run at the cup in four years. andy would 35, while this may seem old, goalies peek later, and can still compete later into their careers. lehner would be 25, around the age where i think goalies should be starting to get established as a starter, and just entering his prime. at this time, spezza will be getting up there in his prime years (33), so by the time andy is expiring, we may be in the hunt for a first line center. some reference points for the ages are: vokoun is 36, and thornton is 33.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Bishop went 3-3-2, and was pulled from two other games for poor performance. That's 8 points in 10 games.

Extrapolates to a 66 point season = one point above dead last in the league.

TheOriginalSilf*

See I disagree.

Except it is a team's duty to compete to the best of their ability year in and year out by providing the best possible team. I just don't see there being any chance that Bryan Murray would go into next season with a Lehner/Bishop tandem. Anderson helps us win NOW, and that's what we need him to do for us. I also wouldn't be comfortable having Lehner as a starting goaltender for us yet. Let him back-up Andy. Let the rookie battle for the starting role with the veteran. Once Anderson's contract is up, let him go. If Bishop is not around by that point, so be it. Bryan Murray traded for depth and was well aware of the goaltending situation this move would create.

Personally, I don't think Bishop has a future here in Ottawa. If he believes that he is capable of being a starting goaltender in the NHL (in the near future) he is certainly going to leave the organization ASAP. Bishop has given the Senators options going forward, provided goaltending depth, and has played well at the minor-league level.

Best case scenario is that Bishop decides he will stick with the organization as a starter for Bingo until Anderson is off the books and come up to the NHL level with Lehner to see if he can take away the starting position. Within that time, Anderson could be dealt later on if Lehner and Bishop are proving to be effective. I find this all highly unlikely, but here's hoping.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Bishop went 3-3-2, and was pulled from two other games for poor performance. That's 8 points in 10 games.

Extrapolates to a 66 point season = one point above dead last in the league.

i don't think he would have done that poorly over an entire season, but i guess my uneasy feelings when bishop started last season were justified :laugh:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This is the most bizarre use of stats I've ever seen

Fair enough, the sens weren't scoring much when he played. Relative to most starters, though his numbers weren't great. Bottom 3rd for GAA and his sv% would put him pretty low. Small sample size, but the point was that Bishop didn't put the team on his shoulders or anything.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
If he is a stand up guy he will sign and trade.

If not. He can continue to have a huge fivehole and move diagonally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->