Will Bishop Stay Or Go?

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
So they would decide to trade Bernier for a good package and then pay up to get Bishop to replace him, probably for not that much less? This does not make sense to me.

Because they get something in return they need right now. could be an NHL player instead of a prospect.

Sens could get a different type of prospect from LA (NHL ready almost) that we don't have a lot in ours.

LA and Sens don't have the same needs and we're not considered contenders like LA. They are the SCF champions after all. All they need is to make the playoffs.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bishop's value is skyrocketing to the moon right now. If we trade him we might be surprised with a huge return.

Agree, but only to a point... I think goalies have a ceiling on what they can be expected to return in a trade. Goalies always seem to return less on the market than forwards or defencemen.

We won't get the equivalent value that a skater of his caliber would return in a trade, I can assure you*.

*all guarantees made by this poster are for entertainment purposes, and have no cash value.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Trade value declining. I'm wondering if it's just the case that teams realize they can offer-sheet him in the summer and don't want to give up assets for a guy that could easily be had for free.

It could force our hand to either trade another goalie or give him up for next to nothing.

As the Ryan O'Reilly case proved, yet again, it is pointless to give a player an offer sheet, as his club will simply match to protect the asset. I think the more likely scenario with Bishop is a sign and trade, if in fact he is still with us by the draft. I am increasingly convinced, though, that he will be moved by tomorrow afternoon - Bishop is really the only affordable option out there for a goalie needy team, and I think someone will step up with a good offer just before 3 pm tomorrow.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
An offer sheet may not be out of the question for Bishop in the summer...a team could sign him for $3m and only lose a 2nd. Ottawa would be in a position where they'd have to overpay a goalie that they don't need and because his salary is higher than it should be, his trade value would diminish. Maybe a guy like Holmgren pounces on that?

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
If you're assuming the Flyers are buying out Bryz, I guess. Otherwise, 3m is way too much for your backup. Either way, would you go into a season with Bishop as your definitive #1?

I wouldn't. (Unless I'm Phoenix)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As the Ryan O'Reilly case proved, yet again, it is pointless to give a player an offer sheet, as his club will simply match to protect the asset.

The problem is that if they offer him a 1 year and we sign it we can't trade him at the deadline and he becomes a UFA the following summer. It's not the same situation as ROR at all.*

This effectively kills almost all of his value. We are never going to get more for Bishop than we would right now IMO, maybe at the draft...but if other teams are thinking in a shrewd manner they can just wait it out and get his services without giving up assets, or let some other team give up assets for him.

*Disclaimer: this is based on what I have read. I could be misinformed.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 39s
Goalie market an interesting one. Five teams have contacted the Sens so far on Ben Bishop who deserves a shot at being a No. 1.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
speculation on the teams anybody?

Smith is hurt in Phoenix right? so thats probably one.

Calgary may be counted as one even though they did get the "best goalie not in the NHL haha."

who else?

Anca18

Aug 19, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I personally think that Bishop will either go to Calgary, Buffalo or Edmonton.

Calgary, well they need a new goalie since the writing on the wall is there for Kipper and from what I've read they don't have a goalie prospect expected to be an NHL starter. I would be happy with Curtis Glencross back.

Edmonton, they also need someone to be their future in net. However, I think that the likely return that Murray would seek would be Ales Hemsky and a mid-rounds pick, but Edmonton won't be willing to give that up, the pick that is.

Buffalo, Bishop could be either someone to challenge Miller in net or someone to split the starting role with Enroth. I'd see Pominville as the likely return here, but we may have to add a pick...I guess I wouldn't be upset if we added a 3rd round pick to it.

Anyways, that's my slightly foundation-less opinion on Bishop's possible trade destinations. Take it as you may.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I personally think that Bishop will either go to Calgary, Buffalo or Edmonton.

Calgary, well they need a new goalie since the writing on the wall is there for Kipper and from what I've read they don't have a goalie prospect expected to be an NHL starter. I would be happy with Curtis Glencross back.

Edmonton, they also need someone to be their future in net. However, I think that the likely return that Murray would seek would be Ales Hemsky and a mid-rounds pick, but Edmonton won't be willing to give that up, the pick that is.

Buffalo, Bishop could be either someone to challenge Miller in net or someone to split the starting role with Enroth. I'd see Pominville as the likely return here, but we may have to add a pick...I guess I wouldn't be upset if we added a 3rd round pick to it.

Anyways, that's my slightly foundation-less opinion on Bishop's possible trade destinations. Take it as you may.

I think Pomminville would be a great fit for the Sens, so would Glenncross for that matter. I do those deals in a second.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Flyers? Tampa? Oilers?

I don't think the Flyers are a realistic option until the summer and we find out if Bryz gets bought out or not. The Oilers make a lot of sense as a 1A / 1B situation there, but they wouldn't move a pick most likely since they still aren't that good.

Anyways, nothing is going to happen until tomorrow. We would've had to call up a tender by now or activate Andy if he were to be dealt today, which hasn't happened.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
My guess is the Canes. Both Ward and Elllis are hurt and they could really use some help there. If teh Canes can just make it to the dance Ward I think will be back in time for the playoffs.

Just a hunch though.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
My guess is the Canes. Both Ward and Elllis are hurt and they could really use some help there. If teh Canes can just make it to the dance Ward I think will be back in time for the playoffs.

Just a hunch though.

I think Ellis is back now.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Im conflicted.. part of me says definitely seeing all the interest... but the other side of me says no dice till the off-season.. there's no guarantee as to when Anderson will be back and if we deal Bishop by tomorrow who's gonna back up Lehner if Anderson can't go?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad