Will Bettman be in LA?

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Oh, you mean like the salary cap that transpired on his watch, which helped the Kings win the Stanley Cup... ??

And actually, the commish is not booed everywhere he goes, e.g. last June 11 at Staples Center.

The Kings win their first championship in team history. I can't think of a better way to celebrate that than booing the figurehead leader of the league...:sarcasm:

:laugh:

Okay 1 place. Any more examples?

And that connection is a bit of a stretch. I always thought the Kings won a cup because they built around the draft, finally found a goaltender that can play, got a coach that can coach, and spent money to the threshhold of said cap.

And those boos will be for like, what, 4 seconds? You bet your ass he will be booed if he shows up at our ceremony. I just don't see how anyone can defend this guy OR Fehr for that matter. What happened this season with the lockout is simply inexcuseable.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
there actually were scattered boos when he presented the Cup last year...

anyway, I hope to hell he isn't there next Saturday. I wasn't predisposed to boo him in the past but if he shows up next week, I'll boo the crap out of him. Hopefully he's not dumb enough to show his face at an NHL arena for a little while.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Oh, you mean like the salary cap that transpired on his watch, which helped the Kings win the Stanley Cup... ??

And actually, the commish is not booed everywhere he goes, e.g. last June 11 at Staples Center.

The Kings win their first championship in team history. I can't think of a better way to celebrate that than booing the figurehead leader of the league...:sarcasm:

:laugh:

The only reason he wasn't booed when the Kings won the cup was because he wasn't really introduced. It's really no different than a couple of years ago at the draft when he had the son and wife of a recently deceased spouse go up to the podium with him before he was going to announce the first pick. He used them as a shield.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The only reason he wasn't booed when the Kings won the cup was because he wasn't really introduced. It's really no different than a couple of years ago at the draft when he had the son and wife of a recently deceased spouse go up to the podium with him before he was going to announce the first pick. He used them as a shield.

wow - you've actually thought about this a lot haven't you.

:laugh: no, actually :shakehead

RonSwanson*

Fans only boo because the away team seems to win the Cup more often lately.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
It's like yelling LUO cuz it sounds like BOO.:naughty::naughty:

But Bettman doesn't deserved to be boo'ed. That's just my opinion and I'm certain people will disagree. There will always be haters and lovers.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Why would I boo my ally? He seemed extremely pleased LA won the Cup. Can you imagine if we face the Rangers in the finals? He might transform into a bat right before our eyes. JK I'm good with him...it's the greedy owners of the 90s that messed things up IMO.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Go ahead and think what you want. The guy is a weasel and nothing more.

A weasel who when he came into the league, the league was making 300 million dollars to now over 3.3 BILLION, he's smarter than everyone in this thread unless you can provide your diplomas from NYU and Cornell...

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
A weasel who when he came into the league, the league was making 300 million dollars to now over 3.3 BILLION, he's smarter than everyone in this thread unless you can provide your diplomas from NYU and Cornell...

Lol, everything is worth more than it was 20 years ago because of inflation. And besides who cares many owners are still losing money. The dude over-expanded the league and has been involved in 4 work stoppages.... and.... I can't belive this has to be explained over and over again.

Look, nobody is saying that he is the sole culprit but he's definitely a major player in regards to the problems this league has.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Lol, everything is worth more than it was 20 years ago because of inflation. And besides who cares many owners are still losing money. The dude over-expanded the league and has been involved in 4 work stoppages.... and.... I can't belive this has to be explained over and over again.

Look, nobody is saying that he is the sole culprit but he's definitely a major player in regards to the problems this league has.

300 million to 3.3 billion is not just inflation, it's part of it but not the sole reason.

Bettman is not sole responsible for expansion, Owners have to sign off on that also invest in it.

Bettman has also managed to get the owners a better deal every CBA. Which is why he is still employed.

If people are going to blame Bettman for all the leagues problems, they also have to give him credit for some of the leagues success.

Baseball has one less work stoppage under Selig. (they have three).

the NBA has three (Stern) (last 20 years).

People act like Bettman is the only Commish that has seen work stoppages.... That is not true.

Also the only league you can say without a doubt (every owner makes money) is the NFL.

That's about it.

Last edited:

Ron*

Lol, everything is worth more than it was 20 years ago because of inflation.

Without verifying if those numbers are correct, $3.3 billion over $300 million represents a 1,100% inflation rate.

In other words, if a gallon of milk costs $2.86 in 1993 (it did, I looked it up), then that same gallon of milk would cost $31.46 today.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Without verifying if those numbers are correct, $3.3 billion over $300 million represents a 1,100% inflation rate.

In other words, if a gallon of milk costs $2.86 in 1993 (it did, I looked it up), then that same gallon of milk would cost $31.46 today.

Bingo....

Some people should just stop typing.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Baseball has one less work stoppage under Selig. (they have three).

the NBA has three (Stern) (last 20 years).

People act like Bettman is the only Commish that has seen work stoppages.... That is not true.

Bettman's the only one to lose an entire season, not to mention 2 additional half seasons. Sorry, that is a HORRIBLE track record for less than 20 years. Total games lost is not even close. No other sports commissioner has come close to incurring the level of wrath Bettman has, from both fans and players. A commissioner should be a figure of respect. Outside of a handful of greedy owners, no one in the game respects Gary Bettman.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Bettman's the only one to lose an entire season, not to mention 2 additional half seasons. Sorry, that is a HORRIBLE track record for less than 20 years. Total games lost is not even close. No other sports commissioner has come close to incurring the level of wrath Bettman has, from both fans and players. A commissioner should be a figure of respect. Outside of a handful of greedy owners, no one in the game respects Gary Bettman.

Lots of fans don't respect Selig, Stern, Or Roger Goodell. Hell some Football fans are already calling for Goodell to be fired(Saints bounty scandell that the league got wrong).

Also turning the NFL into a cupcake league for QB's (player safety)

Bettman is not the only Commish people are calling to be fired.

NBA fans have wanted Stern fired back in 1998. Since have called for him to be fired every year.

Baseball Fans Despise Selig, he has turned that League into a Non parity Welfare league. Baseball might be the first sports league bubble to pop.

Baseball fans better pray to god the Yankee's/Redsox(and about Five other teams) never have any financial downturn; Cause those teams subsidize the entire league.

The World series in the only Championship game that has seen it's ratings decrease consistently over the last decade.

Last edited:

Ron*

No one? Not one person? That's a pretty definite statement.

Didn't baseball cancel a World Series? To me, that's just as bad as losing an entire season.

And as far as hockey goes, you have to factor in the fact that it just doesn't get the TV contracts the other sports get. TV contracts make all the difference, just ask the NFL.

I think your statement is far to definitive to carry merit. There are a lot factors that go into the success or failure of leagues and teams within the league. One would also have to believe that being a commissioner of a sport that just isn't all that popular is quite a challenge in its own right.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Fans can hate Bettman all they want, But the owners sign his paycheck.

They continue to sign it, So Bettman must be doing something right.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

Keep repeating that to yourself - over and over and over again...

(you'll feel better, trust me)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad