Will Bettman be in LA?

Kingjordan

Jun 29, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the commish usually there with cup team opening night when they raise the banner?

Anyone know if he will be there?

I know other fans complained about the fact that we did not boo him when we won the cup.

I know its our first Cup but how will bettman be treated when he steps on the ice, after going through this lock out.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I certainly wouldn't boo him. The guy does everything possible to get this league the best it can get, just like any businessman would do.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the commish usually there with cup team opening night when they raise the banner?

I know other fans complained about the fact that we did not boo him when we won the cup.

I know its our first Cup but how will bettman be treated when he steps on the ice, after going through this lock out.

Gary Bettman got a standing ovation from Jets fans at the 2011 Draft (in Minnesota, so there's was literally 3-4 sections full of us there :D) and at their first game last year...this whole boo Gary Bettman thing is ridiculous, IMO...

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
The guy does the job he's paid to do, and does it well. He takes virtually ALL the heat off the owners and they love him for it. I don't believe that if you remove Bettman from the equation that you wouldn't have had the lockouts. The structural reason behind why the NHL has lockouts stems primarily from the crappy revenue sharing system the League has, and Bettman can't fix that alone - only the owners can. Guess what....Bettman or no Bettman, there will be another lockout when this new CBA expires too if they don't fix the revenue sharing.

Why boo?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Awww, that's a shame. The last thing I would care about at that moment is Bettman. Does the home or away team winning the Cup make a difference with booing him?

It's not like Bettman alone was the cause of the lockout. I was more anti-Fehr than anything, and I wouldn't boo him if he showed up. It's over and done with. Now, if Blake showed up, that's different.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
There should be no boos heard on the day the Kings raise a cup or a banner

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The guy does the job he's paid to do, and does it well. He takes virtually ALL the heat off the owners and they love him for it. I don't believe that if you remove Bettman from the equation that you wouldn't have had the lockouts. The structural reason behind why the NHL has lockouts stems primarily from the crappy revenue sharing system the League has, and Bettman can't fix that alone - only the owners can. Guess what....Bettman or no Bettman, there will be another lockout when this new CBA expires too if they don't fix the revenue sharing.

Why boo?

While I agree that there should be no booing at all of Bettman, regardless of if it's a banner raising, cup presentation or even him walking down the street, I don't share your belief that he does his entire job well, specifically regarding the CBA negotiations.

I'm not saying that there wouldn't have been a lockout if he wasn't at the bargaining table, but the fact does apply that he botched negotiations so badly the first two lockouts that there was a need for a third longlasting lockout to get the third CBA done under his watch. I'm not heaping all the blame on Bettman here, as the owners are their own worst enemy, but as their lead negotiator and one of (if not their top) legal analysts in relation to CBA's, Bettman's inability to close major loopholes has been a key reason behind this lockout occurring.

Ron*

While I agree Bettman didn't handle the lockout and/or negotiations as well as he should have (e.g., the ridiculous first offer to the PA, the walking away from the PA offer after 10 minutes of review, etc., thereby pissing the players off unnecessarily), he is hardly to blame for the whole mess.

Booing Bettman is for pathetic losers.

I agree, there should be absolutely no booing during our first Stanley Cup banner raising.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I'm not a huge Bettman fan. We have the best sport on the entire planet run by the worst league. I'm not saying all the inconsistancies, lockouts, over-expansion, and lost revenues are entirely his fault, but the buck stops with him and this league seems determined to run itself into the ground. I get the feeling that we are just still so drunk on Stanley Cup juice that things appear better than they are. But let's face it, this league is a circus.

Not to mention he comes across as a smug and petty little man. Another beaurocratic, empty, corporate suit. Sorry if this opinion is no longer popular here.

Kingjordan

Jun 29, 2008

Why boo?

While I understand what you are saying 3 lockouts as commish does not really say you are doing a great job.

Unfortunatly as fans we accept the lockout and move on because we love our Kings and our hockey but somehow booing atleast lets them know we are not happy about losing our hockey.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
While I agree Bettman didn't handle the lockout and/or negotiations as well as he should have (e.g., the ridiculous first offer to the PA, the walking away from the PA offer after 10 minutes of review, etc., thereby pissing the players off unnecessarily), he is hardly to blame for the whole mess.

Booing Bettman is for pathetic losers.

I agree, there should be absolutely no booing during our first Stanley Cup banner raising.

Is your avi a real picture? Pretty sick if it is

Bettman deserved the boos more so the first go around. He's done a great job turning the league around since then and this one was pretty much out of his control

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Keep him the hell away from the ice. It will piss me off no end if he's there.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
You guys act like the booing is directed at anything else aside from Bettman and that it will somehow tarnish this ceremony. If you guys really think that then you have some pretty thin skin. The commish is booed everywhere he goes for a reason. It's really the only way we can express our disgust for what has transpired on his watch.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
Quickly looked through the bruins and hawks banner raising videos on youtube, couldn't find Bettman. Couldn't find any good video of the lightning raising the banner after the previous lockout, but didn't see him there either.

KingKopitar11*

I really don't care if he's there or not.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
You guys act like the booing is directed at anything else aside from Bettman and that it will somehow tarnish this ceremony. If you guys really think that then you have some pretty thin skin. The commish is booed everywhere he goes for a reason. It's really the only way we can express our disgust for what has transpired on his watch.

Oh, you mean like the salary cap that transpired on his watch, which helped the Kings win the Stanley Cup... ??

And actually, the commish is not booed everywhere he goes, e.g. last June 11 at Staples Center.

The Kings win their first championship in team history. I can't think of a better way to celebrate that than booing the figurehead leader of the league...:sarcasm:

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad