Will Bennett eventually become 'Crosby's Neal'?

ObsessedCreative*

It isn't really his speed, because his B2B speed is pretty good. It is his edge work and technique... Which is why he looks shaky at times.

I thought Bobby Ryan was a wonky, undisciplined skater coming out. He has a roller background like BB and you could see it in his stride, stops/starts, turns, how he kicked out, etc. He was a pretty ugly skater. However, he has really become a good, not great skater, since he got to the NHL.

So I'm trying not to worry about BB's skating for now.

Ironically, Crosby just called him a "great skater" in an article I read. I'll try to dig up the quote, but I'm lazy so...

haha, maybe he meant it in the context of positioning?! As in he gets to the spots he needs to to get passes and shots off, now necessarily how fast or efficiently he got there?

That is my only thinking why he would say that.

ObsessedCreative*

There are only a handful of finishers like Neal in the entire league. The Pens are very fortunate to have three of them, so we are getting a little greedy hoping BB can fill the net like an elite goal scorer.

If he pots 20+ goals a season, while adding a playmaking dimension to Crosby or Malkin's line, I'll be stoked.

Me too spot on!

This is exactly my line of thinking and hopes...

Although depending on how hard he works and adapts his game, I can see him being a 30 goal guy.

He shot is that good.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
haha, maybe he meant it in the context of positioning?! As in he gets to the spots he needs to to get passes and shots off, now necessarily how fast or efficiently he got there?

That is my only thinking why he would say that.

"He‘s really good,†Crosby said. “Great hands, and he can really skate. You can see that he‘s going to be really good.â€

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3253847-74/bennett-penguins-beau#ixzz2Hc0xo3Zj

I have been skating since I was a kid and understand all of the technical aspects to it, but Crosby knows more than me about skating.

He has also been on the ice with him, not me.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
It's VERY frustrating. Not every player can play the same style. That's B.S. Enough with trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

How many young players are we going to 'botch' before we realize we have a cancer for a head coach/style of play?

AND, how is vision and puck patience a bad thing? If it is, then your system is flawed beyond belief.

What other idiot coach tells young players NOT to slow the play down???

This is truly insane.
Adjustments and "one offs" aren't in DB's dictionary. That's the downside of having a coach who is set in his ways and lacks the ability to change on the fly.

That's why it's been so frustrating to watch these post-season collapses because I feel like there were almost no adjustments whatsoever. Montreal, Tampa, and now Philly..

Sure, the system ensures that we will get every possible ounce of production from the grinders / non-skill players, but it's a trade off when it comes to the skill players who need a little more leeway.

To put it lightly, "Pittsburgh Penguins Ice Hockey" is a less than ideal system for young players who are still developing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How about quoting the next sentence in the article that you failed to mention:

Anyone concerned that the Penguins‘ desire to alter Bennett‘s style will rob him of his natural creativity should not be concerned.
Just ask Crosby.
“No,” Crosby said. “I‘m not worried about that. The creativity in his game is something he‘ll never lose.”

Look, I definitely think that DB has his flaws, but there is little evidence that "ruining" skilled forward prospects is one of them. His stubbornness to play younger guys is certainly an issue. However, outside of Tangradi, who certainly is to blame for some of his lack of success, it's not like we've had any skilled forwards to ruin. Get a grip and let this play out before panicking.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How about quoting the next sentence in the article that you failed to mention:

Anyone concerned that the Penguins‘ desire to alter Bennett‘s style will rob him of his natural creativity should not be concerned.
Just ask Crosby.
“No,†Crosby said. “I‘m not worried about that. The creativity in his game is something he‘ll never lose.â€

Look, I definitely think that DB has his flaws, but there is little evidence that "ruining" skilled forward prospects is one of them. His stubbornness to play younger guys is certainly an issue. However, outside of Tangradi, who certainly is to blame for some of his lack of success, it's not like we've had any skilled forwards to ruin. Get a grip and let this play out before panicking.

That's why I gave a link and it doesn't change the context of what I posted - at all.

ObsessedCreative*

"He‘s really good,†Crosby said. “Great hands, and he can really skate. You can see that he‘s going to be really good.â€

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3253847-74/bennett-penguins-beau#ixzz2Hc0xo3Zj

I have been skating since I was a kid and understand all of the technical aspects to it, but Crosby knows more than me about skating.

He has also been on the ice with him, not me.

haha weird, and true I am the same way. Been skating and playing since I was 10 years old and I too have only observed him from a far not on the ice playing with him.

Was pissed I didn't have a chance to get to a game when I was back home in Wilkes-barre to watch him and a few of the other guys.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Adjustments and "one offs" aren't in DB's dictionary. That's the downside of having a coach who is set in his ways and lacks the ability to change on the fly.

That's why it's been so frustrating to watch these post-season collapses because I feel like there were almost no adjustments whatsoever. Montreal, Tampa, and now Philly..

Sure, the system ensures that we will get every possible ounce of production from the grinders / non-skill players, but it's a trade off when it comes to the skill players who need a little more leeway.

To put it lightly, "Pittsburgh Penguins Ice Hockey" is a less than ideal system for young players who are still developing.
How can you blame TB on him when we had no forwards?

Montreal and Philly, sure, w/e, but Tampa? We took them to 7 with nobody on our team performing and scoring save our D and MAF. The Bruins, who won the cup that year, also took them to 7 and edged them by a goal.

If you blame that series on Bylsma, and call that loss a "collapse" I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason DB won the Jack Adams.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
How can you blame TB on him when we had no forwards?

Montreal and Philly, sure, w/e, but Tampa? We took them to 7 with nobody on our team performing and scoring save our D and MAF. The Bruins, who won the cup that year, also took them to 7 and edged them by a goal.

If you blame that series on Bylsma, and call that loss a "collapse" I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason DB won the Jack Adams.

We led that series 3-1. I don't care who was playing. If we were good enough to win 3 of the first 4, we should have been good enough to finish the job.

If that's not a collapse, then I don't know what is. He won the Jack Adams because he coaches one of the 'glamor' teams in the NHL. He couldn't hold a candle to Barry Trotz, but nobody cares about Nashville.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
We led that series 3-1. I don't care who was playing. If we were good enough to win 3 of the first 4, we should have been good enough to finish the job.

If that's not a collapse, then I don't know what is. He won the Jack Adams because he coaches one of the 'glamor' teams in the NHL. He couldn't hold a candle to Barry Trotz, but nobody cares about Nashville.

Yeah, they weren't a glamour team that year with no Sid and no Geno and Neal not scoring. We were Nashville of the East, and we out-Nashville'd Nashville. The Adams went to Bylsma instead of Trotz for a reason.

Yeah they could have won, but the fact they took them to 7 with that team is almost a miracle in its' own right.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm right there with you. He already has the injury bug. This truly is an important variable to look at. Do we see if he can survive the entire season in WBS, or do we get what we can while we can in the NHL?

Is anyone else seeing a comparison of Beau with Ales Hemsky? (or am I reaching a bit here...)

What injury bug is that?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It's not something I like to read/hear... But BB is doing well enough down there, so that is a positive.

Tangradi has become a robot and I hate seeing it, because I know how skilled he was/is (although he isn't on BB level).

It's a fine line between letting your young kids use their talent, and giving them too much rope to hang themselves. I'm not sure if DB knows how to tow that line, but he can learn and move away from his stubborn ways.

We now have another talented fwd prospect to follow and I believe/hope DB learned something from the Flyers about youth and potential. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Kennedy is another player that had his style completely changed by this organization.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Yeah, they weren't a glamour team that year with no Sid and no Geno and Neal not scoring. We were Nashville of the East, and we out-Nashville'd Nashville. The Adams went to Bylsma instead of Trotz for a reason.

Yeah they could have won, but the fact they took them to 7 with that team is almost a miracle in its' own right.

Out Nashvilled Nashville? By losing in the first round? They went to the WCF.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why can't he be Crosby's Bennett?

Bennett and Neal are different players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad