Will Bennett eventually become 'Crosby's Neal'?

GlenngarryGlencross

Get the chalk!
May 26, 2008
Bennett seems like an ideal fit for Crosby, a RHS, creative offense-first winger. We know Sid can score goals at a ridiculous pace, we need a guy that can complement that aspect of his game while being a threat to score goals himself. That is BB.

I don't quite see Bylsma's line logic going into camp. Dupuis and Kunitz serve the same third-wheel function, doesn't make sense to put them on the same line when you can spread them out. 13-87-9 and 14-71-18 gives you two dynamic duos and two quality third-wheel guys to grind and work the boards.

The only real question is whether BB is ready to handle the NHL pace and physicality, which I think he is. His talent and growth are wasted in WBS with the lack of offensive talent down there.

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven
I think he can be. He seems to be a creative player offensively and needs to continue to round out his game. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar so to speak, but I think he can be a 25-30 goal scorer worth 50-70pts. I'll take that.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
I view Bennett as a player in the mold of Jason Pominville, who I always thought would be a great fit with 87. I'd love to see a Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett line.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
I like the idea of Bennett on a line with Malkin and Neal better.

I think with the Neal-Malkin combo, you ideally want more or a puck hound. The Kulemin type of winger (Kunitz as well). I'd love to see Bennett step up and earn that RW spot alongside 87. Trade for Kulemin and roll:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Kennedy/Tangradi/Jeffrey

Again, that's all if Bennett could show that he could create and transfer what he's done in the AHL to the NHL. Which is very much a question mark.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think with the Neal-Malkin combo, you ideally want more or a puck hound. The Kulemin type of winger (Kunitz as well). I'd love to see Bennett step up and earn that RW spot alongside 87. Trade for Kulemin and roll:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Kennedy/Tangradi/Jeffrey

Again, that's all if Bennett could show that he could create and transfer what he's done in the AHL to the NHL. Which is very much a question mark.

Malone works in place of Kulemin.

If Bennett steps up, then great. If not, then Ray Shero can make another deal. That third line is what you want to see on a cup caliber team and the most appropriate slotting of Dupuis.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't say never, because if BB shares a similarity with Neal, it's the wicked shot.

I tend to agree with Jacob. I see Bennett as 20-25 goal/ 35-40 assists type of player if all goes well. He has the shot but he's a much more natural playmaker.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I tend to agree with Jacob. I see Bennett as 20-25 goal/ 35-40 assists type of player if all goes well. He has the shot but he's a much more natural playmaker.

You're probably right. He could be a Neal clone, and the odds would be against his ever scoring 40 goals.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I think he could be a complimentary players in the way Neal is to Geno. I don't see much in the way of similar players. I also don't think Neal will get 40 again & will probably settling in around the mid-30's.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I do think he can become a legit primary winger for Sid but he's a much different player than Neal. He won't pot 40 goals for Sid but he may help Sid score even more goals because he's more creative than Neal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I do think he can become a legit primary winger for Sid but he's a much different player than Neal. He won't pot 40 goals for Sid but he may help Sid score even more goals because he's more creative than Neal.

Exactly. Bennett can actually manufacture scoring chances independently of our centers - really our only wing who can do that.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Bennett seems like an ideal fit for Crosby, a RHS, creative offense-first winger. We know Sid can score goals at a ridiculous pace, we need a guy that can complement that aspect of his game while being a threat to score goals himself. That is BB.

I don't quite see Bylsma's line logic going into camp. Dupuis and Kunitz serve the same third-wheel function, doesn't make sense to put them on the same line when you can spread them out. 13-87-9 and 14-71-18 gives you two dynamic duos and two quality third-wheel guys to grind and work the boards.

The only real question is whether BB is ready to handle the NHL pace and physicality, which I think he is. His talent and growth are wasted in WBS with the lack of offensive talent down there.

Disagree. I don't believe BB is ready to handle NHL speed, physicality, 200-ft & defensive play, and mental stamina for a (condensed) NHL season, and then elevate all those things to yet another level for the playoffs.

I think highly of BB and think he will ultimately be there, and if he keeps up the training & conditioning he did with T.R. going into next offseason, I think he'll be ready to make the jump next year. Yes, WBS sucks right now, but they will right the ship eventually and he can be a big part of their success; and there's still merit to him conintuing to learn the system down there, how to be a pro and how to be a 200-ft player. And if they don't make the playoffs as we all would hope, then bring him up here to be part of the Black Aces, which will still be incredible experience and exposure for the guy, even if he doesn't get to play.

And to the OP's question: will he be Crosby's Neal? I think the answer is yes, he can be a guy who can play with Sid or Geno. But he has to continue to take his strength & speed to an even higher level to get there, and it will be important to find a good 3rd guy on that line to do some of the mucking & grinding, as well. But Crosby will open up a ton of room for BB to be creative, and if he can raise his game high enogh, BB will be able to do the same for Crosby. He's got that much upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->