Will be the Rangers always the Top Dog in New York?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Outside of maybe parts of Queens, the entirety of the rest of NYC has more Rangers fans than Devils and Islanders fans combined, so I'm not really sure what you're basing this on.

What I was saying is the Rangers in controlling Midtown Manhattan by extension control most of the city simply because of the way the NY media operates.

The New York metro can support 3 NHL teams mainly because of how RSN's work in the US. Dolan made sure that MSG controls ALL local hockey in NY on TV so the YES and SNY Networks couldn't hurt MSG in the winter. The Rangers, in reality, kept the Islanders afloat with the massive TV deal and then added the Sabres to keep the channel on statewide.

Reactions: Cant Staap The Kaap

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
What I was saying is the Rangers in controlling Midtown Manhattan by extension control most of the city simply because of the way the NY media operates.

The New York metro can support 3 NHL teams mainly because of how RSN's work in the US. Dolan made sure that MSG controls ALL local hockey in NY on TV so the YES and SNY Networks couldn't hurt MSG in the winter. The Rangers, in reality, kept the Islanders afloat with the massive TV deal and then added the Sabres to keep the channel on statewide.

My apologies, misunderstood your original post. I agree.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Trenton gets both NY and Philly sports stations but OTA channels come from Philadelphia - The Jersey Shore only gets the Philly sports station.

Ocean County gets both NYC and Philly channels as well. And NYC stations are available OTA in Trenton. I some ways that overlap is part of what defines the mythical Central Jersey.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018

Considering the real estate firm of the Mets owners are involved in the new Belmont Arena project, wouldn't surprise me if the Isles wound up on SNY after their current MSG deal ended. That's certainly a station that can use some winter programming, as it has no local winter team at all currently. YES has the Nets, dating back to those odd "YankeeNets" years. In the summer, of course, SNY and YES are home for the Mets and Yankees respectively, and the latter also has NYCFC. MSG's sold local summer team is the Red Bulls. (And the Liberty, though what happens there now that MSG no longer owns them, but they're instead owned by newly minted Nets owner Joseph Tsai is a question.)

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Dolan made sure that MSG controls ALL local hockey in NY on TV so the YES and SNY Networks couldn't hurt MSG in the winter.
I don’t believe this is the story of what happened. The deal they originally signed was long before SNY and YES came into existence when they were SportsChannel and later Fox Sports Net.

In 2001, there was a clause in the contract which would start to give the Islanders a large portion of Fox Sports Net revenues. Instead they settled on an extension for a flat fee until 2031.

TV SPORTS; Rich Cable Deal Lessens Isles' Misery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad