Will anyone play longer than Howe?

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
No one will ever again play a major league sport at that age. At 41 he was the league's third leading scorer. Howe is one of a kind.

Try your math again. He was 47 when he retired.

Ooops. ten years off. :help:

But I found another one. He is 58.
Wladimir Tumaew. 3rd Russian division striker and owner of the club. Overweight, not much of a player but still playing.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
In another ABA-related stab at publicity, the Houston Takers have signed an 80 year old for next season. So I guess that makes him older than Gordie's publicity stunt with the Vipers.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
How players keep them selfs in shape now, I believe it could happen. If it has happened before it can happen again.

That's both a positive and a negative here though. Every year past a certian age it gets harder and harder to maintain conditioning. The younger players will always have the edge and will be constantly competing for that same job. They may not have the same hockey "IQ" so to speak, but still they will have an edge. That's not to even mention all the neurological connections which begin to degrade in your 30's and 40's.

If it happens, it'll take an absolute aberration to do it in hockey. I'd love to see it.

I guess what's even more impressive about Howe is that he did it as a forward. Defence is much more cerebral, which aging seems be much more kind to. Doing it as a forward who has to rely on instinct and quick reflexes is a whole other story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->