Will anyone play longer than Howe?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Julio Franco will be turning 49 this season, and he's still at it (and relatively effective in his role as well) with the Mets

It's a little different than hockey though.

TPS 61*

Shouldnt Roger Clemens be getting close to that age now? Im not exactly sure but I think he is 50. Am I right?

My mistake, I just looked it up and he is only 44.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Well...If you mean from point a to point b (like age 18 to 52 or whatever) for length, then not very likely, too straining on the body nowadays. If you mean Games Played, only Pete Rose (MLB) with 3562 comes close. Taking into account 162 gp vs 70 gp per season (back in the day lol), the ratio between them is 3562/162 vs 1767/70 or 21.99 vs 25.24, Howe is still ahead (by a solid margin even without WHA games factored into this), but that's as close as it gets, I'd think.

Edit: Morten Andersen (NFL) with 368 gp at 16 gp per season gets a ratio of exactly 23.00, still not even close to Gordie Howe, I guess they call him Mr Hockey for a reason lol.

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

Who was the oldest NFL or CFL kicker? They get pretty old...
The oldest player in NFL history to date was George Blanda of the last of Oakland Raiders. Kicker and back-up QB. Oldest person to play in an NFL game: 48 years, 110 days. He played in his last game on January 4, 1976, the 1975 AFC Championship, where he kicked a 41-yard field goal and made one extra point as the Raiders lost to the Steelers 16-10 in Pittsburgh.

Bob Cameron, punter of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers surpassed Lui Passaglia of the BC Lions as the oldest CFL player. He turned 48 years old on July 18, 2002 during his 23rd and last season.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In the NHL it wont happen. Chelios is 45. Can you imagine him playing 7 more years? I cant.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hasek is still an excellent player at age 42.

He could be a starter until age 45-46 and a backup thereafter.

If he could stay healthy and did yoga like Raquel Welsh, he could handle 5-7 games per season for several years.

toastman344*

How old was Satchel Page when he retired ?

BTW Some one mentioned Bob Cameron...He went to Ancaster High School with my uncle...and they're still friends...I met him at my uncle's wedding, many years ago...seemed like a good guy...Cameron was always a great punter...could have easily had a great NFL career ...He totally out hoofed the US kicker at the old Can-Am Bowl...I mean ,it wasn't even close...Kinda surprising he never headed south of the border...Notably, He was also a fine quaterback in High School and College...

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
Satchel Paige cam out of retirement and pitched one game when he was 59 years old.

Wetcoaster

How old was Satchel Page when he retired ?

BTW Some one mentioned Bob Cameron...He went to Ancaster High School with my uncle...and they're still friends...I met him at my uncle's wedding, many years ago...seemed like a good guy...Cameron was always a great punter...could have easily had a great NFL career ...He totally out hoofed the US kicker at the old Can-Am Bowl...I mean ,it wasn't even close...Kinda surprising he never headed south of the border...Notably, He was also a fine quaterback in High School and College...
He retired at 48 in 1953 (born July 1905).

He pitched three scoreless innings for the KC Athletics in a special appearance in 1965.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Of course Howe played EVERY regular season and playoff game that season. And was still a quite effective player. Getting 15 goals and 41 points.

No one will ever have a pro hockey career stretching over 33 seasons again. Nor will anyone ever play NHL hockey past 50 years old as anything other than a sideshow or a very limited role player.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Of course Howe played EVERY regular season and playoff game that season. And was still a quite effective player. Getting 15 goals and 41 points.

No one will ever have a pro hockey career stretching over 33 seasons again. Nor will anyone ever play NHL hockey past 50 years old as anything other than a sideshow or a very limited role player.

And if we count sideshows, Gordie played pro hockey at 69 or 70...

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Morten Anderson will play into his mid 50's
Julio Franco will play into his mid 50's

I'm not sure about the NHL though.. its way more physically demanding than playing baseball or kicking field goals.. (not saying those arent physically demanding, but hockey is a year round thing to stay in shape)

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I forget which NFL Europa kicker is in his mid-50's. Granted he didn't play football until maybe 10 years ago, but seems to me he was a pro soccer player before that. I really doubt you'll see anyone other than perhaps a football kicker play until he was older than Gordie Howe. Julio Franco will come close, but I really think that this will be his last year in the majors and if he is to break Gordie's record he'd have to play in an Indy league.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I forget which NFL Europa kicker is in his mid-50's. Granted he didn't play football until maybe 10 years ago, but seems to me he was a pro soccer player before that. I really doubt you'll see anyone other than perhaps a football kicker play until he was older than Gordie Howe. Julio Franco will come close, but I really think that this will be his last year in the majors and if he is to break Gordie's record he'd have to play in an Indy league.

His name was Manfred Burgsmüller. He was 52 when he ended his career with the Rhein Fire. Was a very successful football player before he started with american football something like 10 years after he finished his football career.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Nah, he said he's def playing till he's 50

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Morten Anderson will play into his mid 50's
Julio Franco will play into his mid 50's

I'm not sure about the NHL though.. its way more physically demanding than playing baseball or kicking field goals.. (not saying those arent physically demanding, but hockey is a year round thing to stay in shape)

This will be Franco's last year. He was awful the 2nd half of last season. His contract expires after this year and can't see anyone giving him another deal. He'll become a coach somewhere.

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
How players keep them selfs in shape now, I believe it could happen. If it has happened before it can happen again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad