Will an arrogant player ever be best player in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovi despite all the Don Cherry hate when he was the best player in the league would never ever say that he's better than Gretzky. Same with Sid same with McDavid. All very composed and text book. Will we ever have a Mayweather/Lebron type player in the NHL who will actively call himself the GOAT and say he's better than 99?

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Nobody in hockey would ever be able to call themselves the GOAT because Wayne is just so untouchable. Maybe if his numbers were closer within reach and there was even close to an argument to be had I could see it. Unless things change a lot, making higher point totals for a potential top player, no one, no matter how cocky, could call themselves the GOAT with a straight face because the average person looks at raw numbers, not era adjusted estimates, so if the raw numbers aren't close, the claim isn't either.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Nobody in hockey would ever be able to call themselves the GOAT because Wayne is just so untouchable. Maybe if his numbers were closer within reach and there was even close to an argument to be had I could see it. Unless things change a lot, making higher point totals for a potential top player, no one, no matter how cocky, could call themselves the GOAT with a straight face because the average person looks at raw numbers, not era adjusted estimates, so if the raw numbers aren't close, the claim isn't either.
Ya but plenty of children's comments on YT calling Crosby the GOAT these days after every big highlight. Now imagine if Crosby when asked stated "I consider myself to be the greatest player of all time. Wayne played in an easier era."

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
This! No other player among the four major sport league in North America has dominated his sport and peers like Gretzky did in the NHL. His career numbers are absolutely impossible to reach with the current rules, except maybe his career goal record with Ovechkin currently playing but it's not a sure thing too.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If there's ever a player who hits more than 212 points in a season, he's free to call himself whatever he wants.
Still be two points behind Gretzky's best. But, sure he could call himself whatever he wants. I am sure that one day his point total will be eclipsed, but all time is a very long time.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
You could argue Kane was the best player in the game 2015-2016 and he's an arrogant shit.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As soon as Don Cherry retires and stops poisoning the minds of young hockey fans with his good ol' Canadian kid bullshit.

Give me all the 150 point Sean Avery's please.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
You could argue Kane was the best player in the game 2015-2016 and he's an arrogant ****.
When they asked him about breaking Gretzky's point streak he said "I dunno about that" very unconfidently. Suggesting that 99 was way above him

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Patrick Kane can't be arrogant because he calls Crosby best player in the league, not himself

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
maybe if someone actually comes close

none of those guys have lead the league in points more than twice and Gretzky did it 10 times,it would honestly just come across as laughable

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I hope so. Its always entertaining

Even someone like Subban is refreshing as hell. Not best in league and not even really arrogant - but a ton of personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->