Will a player score 70 goals anytime soon?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
To hit 70 in today's game you'd probably have to pot at least 40-50 at even strength and another 20-30 on the PP.

In Stamkos' 60 goal campaign he netted 48 at even strength but only managed 12 on the PP. When Ovi hit 65 he went 43 and 22.

In order to accomplish this you would need someone who is a lights out shooter coupled with one of the better passers in the game. Then they also have to be lights out on the PP.

The Tavares-Marner combo is probably the closest in the league to maybe accomplishing this. Tavares potted 37 last year at even strength with Marner, with another 10 on the PP. If those two can find another gear at even strength and the Leafs PP can start to click with Tavares as the main trigger man they could at least get him to 60. That seems to be a key factor as well. You absolutely have to be the focal point of your teams PP.

Matthews is a great 5v5 scorer but hasn't figured out the PP scoring yet and isn't really playing with the right playmaker to get him into that next tier. Laine has been the reverse the last few seasons. Lights out on the PP but can't seem to figure out where the net is at 5v5. He also suffers from not having an elite passer feeding him the puck. If either of those two start playing with an elite passer they could be good candidates for hitting those lofty totals at 5v5 needed to hit even 60 goals let alone 70 in today's game.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don’t know, I agree Ovi is probably the best ever but for someone to have one season of 70, as unlikely as it may be, isnt going to require a better scorer, just more lucky. Ovis longevity at a high level is a huge part of what makes him great

Ovi's sixty five goal season was a pretty big outlier, other than that season he's never scored sixty and he only scored fifty five once. It's hard for me to imagine someone could be that lucky to be a worse scorer than Ovi but score seventy in this era. Has anyone but Stamkos hit sixty?

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Draisaitl got 50 last year, so I'd say yes. If one of these magical play-makers finds chemistry with a sniper it could happen. Why not?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
[mod] If he is not going to become better 5v5 he seriously has no chance of 70 goals. And I didnt say 5v5, I said outside PP
Are you saying that in order to score 70 goals Patrik Laine would have to be better than he is now? Wow.

Who wouldn't?

No, I don't think anyone's scoring 70 any time soon.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What was it about Laine, if he'd had the same shooting% as he had the season before, he'd have scored 47 goals or something, even with his crappy ass play this season. Still, you get the feeling that the Laine ship's sailed and there really aren't any super high-end goalscoring players at this point, except Caufield and Kakko, I guess. But it's tough to see 70 goal potential in either. Well, Kakko's rookie campaign will tell a lot.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Ovi's sixty five goal season was a pretty big outlier, other than that season he's never scored sixty and he only scored fifty five once. It's hard for me to imagine someone could be that lucky to be a worse scorer than Ovi but score seventy in this era. Has anyone but Stamkos hit sixty?

Oh I’m not disagreeing that I can’t see it happening, just saying that feat alone wouldn’t make them better than Ovi in my opinion.

Reactions: Blackjack

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
No way Matthews gets close.

I could see Mcdavid coming close. Mckinnon will be close.

Ovi might go on a tear and get it however.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Doubt it will ever be done again. The rules would have to make it easier to score.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No way Matthews gets close.

I could see Mcdavid coming close. MacKinnon will be close.

Ovi might go on a tear and get it however.

Sorry but the McDavid/Matthews thing is plain ridiculous. McDavid is easily the best overall player between the two, but McDavid is not a pure goal scorer, he is more a playmaker first, while Matthews bread and butter is goal scoring. If only one of these two had a chance to hit 70 someday, my money is on Matthews every time. McDavid will out-pt him most every season, but when you look at just goal scoring, Matthews is currently better than McDavid.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
70 goals.. oh man!! That requires some serious talent from the guy who is chasing that feat but also from his linemates and those guys he's playing with.

Powerplay will probably be key part of accomplishing it so one shuld take that into consideration aswell. That may take few years to get accomplished, cuz it takes some serious consistency tbh.

Probably if McDavid played somewhere else, probably some Leafs player (Matthews?) Or then in the future some real gem on that spot (Caufield, Holtz?) with great feeders and screeners culd do it? Maybe if Laine culd bounce back and gets his production together at 5vs5, who knows.

I mean they've tried to make goalscoring numbers increased every single year, so I dont see why anybody wouldnt hit that marker probably as soon as next decade. But 80 goals is probably still in any cases way too high so soon, but remains to be seen. High-end goalscorers are fun to watch anyway, whether they scored 70 or 40 goals.

Patriks7

Oct 20, 2010
People mention Laine but he isn't doing anything 5v5, career high 24 goals outside the PP?

If any currently active NHL player will score 70 I would think it's going to be Matthews.

For either one to have a chance they better start shooting 100 more shots a year though. Or end a year on 25% shots

The guy who has barely cracked 70 points? :huh:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Laine will score 70 in one month, and vanish for the rest of the season.

Meh, if he did the team would likely go 16-0 in that month, which would be a good enough run to help get his team to the playoffs. AKA, he did his job.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I think it’s possible. You’d have to have prodigious PP numbers. The player would have to net at least 35 PP goals. The record is 34 by Tim Kerr. But if a player is a sniper and just tears it up on the PP, then it’s possible IMO.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Matthews is a great 5v5 scorer but hasn't figured out the PP scoring yet and isn't really playing with the right playmaker to get him into that next tier. Laine has been the reverse the last few seasons. Lights out on the PP but can't seem to figure out where the net is at 5v5. He also suffers from not having an elite passer feeding him the puck. If either of those two start playing with an elite passer they could be good candidates for hitting those lofty totals at 5v5 needed to hit even 60 goals let alone 70 in today's game.

Maybe they need to start training together to complete eachother :sarcasm:

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If Laine is allowed to not worry about hockey....and just sit in the sweet spot on every PP/Offensive zone possession.

Basically like a Lacrosse player that only jumps on the floor when his team has possession.

In other words.. doubtful.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
No current player. Even with Caufield's hype, or any other coming snipers, nope. If Ovechkin, who's heading for Gretzky record (a stretch though) scored 65 max, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad