Will a healthy Gleason hurt us or help us?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'd want to hear the argument as to how having him back will hurt us.

It's not like our bottom 3 have been playing well enough that they absolutely have to be in the lineup.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Canes Country brought up a good point. Nevermind the blue line, the team is at 23 roster players without Gleason. Someone is going to have to go to Charlotte/elsewhere. Sutter/Westgarth seem the only options, but would they risk losing Sutter to waivers? Would they demote Westgarth or trade him?

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Canes Country brought up a good point. Nevermind the blue line, the team is at 23 roster players without Gleason. Someone is going to have to go to Charlotte/elsewhere. Sutter/Westgarth seem the only options, but would they risk losing Sutter to waivers? Would they demote Westgarth or trade him?

Westgarth has negative value.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Agree with those that say Gleason will help. The thing that throws a stick in the wheel with the D is that Komisarek has had 2 decent showings for a guy that didn't play much in the past year. Thought his last game on the Island was solid and he had a nice hit or two. He might not be too far off.

Wonder if Muller and Co. have thought about dressing 7 D?

My stab at the D pairs for Thursday night:

Sekera/Faulk
Gleason/Hainsey (interchangable as both are capable of playing either side)
Harrison/Murph

bluedevil58*

I think he will help too. You just always worry about chemistry being affected when someone new comes into the pairings. That's my only concern.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Help of course. Even when bad Tim Gleason shows up he's still a mile better than what Harrison has done so far this year.

The only question to me is, do you reunite the Gleason-Faulk combo? I could see Gleason-Murphy being an unmitigated disaster.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I do not want Jay Harrison in the lineup over Bellemore or Komi.

Jay Harrison has some skill with the puck. Whoever's partnering with Murphy has to be able to help get the puck out of the zone, because no matter how good they are at D, prolonged time in the defensive zone is going to put Murphy in a position to fail. Good breakouts are a priority.

Similarly, in the offensive zone, whoever Murphy is paired with is going to need to participate. Bellemore has no offensive skills to speak of. Not sure about Komi.

The point being, I think Hainsey/Harrison/Faulk/Sekera are the only options for pairing with Murphy. And based on where Muller wants them slotted, only Harrison ends up being a real option.

I'd guess Hainsey Gleason most nights until someone gets hurt. And praise allah that when someone does, we have 2 guys who can play waiting to step in.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Do you guys think Gleason is worth the $4M salary? I sure don't. What if I floated you an option:

To EDM:
Tuomo Ruutu
Tim Gleason

To CAR:
Linus Omark
Denis Grebeshkov

Clears us some dead salary weight (Ruutu) as well as getting more skilled. Or too much skill not enough grit will be left on our team???

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Do you guys think Gleason is worth the $4M salary? I sure don't. What if I floated you an option:

To EDM:
Tuomo Ruutu
Tim Gleason

To CAR:
Linus Omark
Denis Grebeshkov

Clears us some dead salary weight (Ruutu) as well as getting more skilled. Or too much skill not enough grit will be left on our team???

Way too much money going one way

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not to mention, I doubt Edmonton does that deal.

Seriously though, Gleason might be overpaid but until he plays a game this season, we won't know.

And since it seems to be the trendy thing to do now, can we at least wait the traditional 9 games before declare Gleason "useless" or "terrible"? The guy's going to be coming back from a concussion, there's going to be a readjustment period...

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not to mention, I doubt Edmonton does that deal.

Seriously though, Gleason might be overpaid but until he plays a game this season, we won't know.

And since it seems to be the trendy thing to do now, can we at least wait the traditional 9 games before declare Gleason "useless" or "terrible"? The guy's going to be coming back from a concussion, there's going to be a readjustment period...

Well plenty of people already think he's useless and terrible so I doubt you get your wish.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Gleason/Faulk was a very effective top pairing last year. If not Gleason, who are you people planning on sending out night after night against top lines if Faulk or Sekera go down? I like Ron Hainsey, but he's not exactly dominating play against the 2nd lines.

And Ruutu has been a nice addition to the lineup already, despite coming off from 2 hip surgeries and the mystery preseason injury. He's drawn penalties, lives in front of the goalie, and has been a physical player along the boards. Dvorak is fine, but Ruutu ups the skill level significantly on that 3rd line, and gives us a solid 4th with Dvorak and Bowman.

Why would we give up two things that are important to the team for Linus Omark, who passed through waivers without anyone batting an eye, and a KHL guy.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Gleason/Faulk was a very effective top pairing last year. If not Gleason, who are you people planning on sending out night after night against top lines if Faulk or Sekera go down? I like Ron Hainsey, but he's not exactly dominating play against the 2nd lines.

And Ruutu has been a nice addition to the lineup already, despite coming off from 2 hip surgeries and the mystery preseason injury. He's drawn penalties, lives in front of the goalie, and has been a physical player along the boards. Dvorak is fine, but Ruutu ups the skill level significantly on that 3rd line, and gives us a solid 4th with Dvorak and Bowman.

Why would we give up two things that are important to the team for Linus Omark, who passed through waivers without anyone batting an eye, and a KHL guy.

New go-to shootout guy? :sarcasm:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Agree with those that say Gleason will help. The thing that throws a stick in the wheel with the D is that Komisarek has had 2 decent showings for a guy that didn't play much in the past year. Thought his last game on the Island was solid and he had a nice hit or two. He might not be too far off.

Wonder if Muller and Co. have thought about dressing 7 D?

My stab at the D pairs for Thursday night:

Sekera/Faulk
Gleason/Hainsey (interchangable as both are capable of playing either side)
Harrison/Murph

I like this idea and I'd add one more wrinkle....dress 7 blueliners until Lindholm is able to return. Rotate Gleason, Komi, Harrison, and Bellemore as the 6th & 7th guys on a game by game basis until Gleason gets his game legs under him or game face on. By then it should be clear which of the 8 surface as our top 6. Once Lindholm returns (assuming he isn't sent to Charlotte or back to Sweden), we play the best 6 defensemen nightly.

Also, I'm not sure that Harry's less than stellar play this year justifies the reason's for playing him. Hainsey has equally good offensive instincts. Komisarek made a number of good, short, accurate passes to get pucks out of our zone, and Bellemore is more mobile than all of those other guys. Plus Brett has been largely improving, even considering his 2 game slump (he improved mightily against NYI). I think Hainsey or Komisarek would both be good partners for Murphy as well.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Hainsey/Murphy is a good fit, but I think they want Hainsey in the top 4, and Murphy in the 3rd pairing. Can't have both if they are together.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Faulk and Sekera are a good pair. anyhow, three big games coming up. the "still early" is ticking away and they need to get it together and start scoring. some optimism from the Isles game. not sure how this layoff is going to affect them but at least some of the injuries can heal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad