Wilkes-Barre/Scranton update:

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
It wouldnt be HFBoards without continuous relocation speculation based on nothing more than hearsay and blown out of proportion quotes.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Can we all now take a big sigh of relief that WBS Penguins will still be in WBS for years to come?

Sorry Hutch you might be the only one here that was hoping that the WBS Penguins was going to relocate to Portland, ME for the 2019-20 season and beyond. Maybe next time.

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
Can we all now take a big sigh of relief that WBS Penguins will still be in WBS for years to come?

Sorry Hutch you might be the only one here that was hoping that the WBS Penguins was going to relocate to Portland, ME for the 2019-20 season and beyond. Maybe next time.
and why would they moved to portland they have the echl

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
This was without a doubt the most boring thread. Did anyone really have doubt that a deal wouldn't be reached? The Pittsburgh-WBS relationship makes too much sense. The officials didnt want to see their arena lose the AHL Penguins and go dark an extra 38 plus nights. The Penguins logistically are nice and close, and although the Baby Penns no longer sell out the arena regularly anymore they still draw over 5000 on average any given night, they are in good shape and a fixture in the WB-S community. The Penguins weren't going to place their AHL players in West Virginia nor was the Albany NY area interested in being home to the Penguins farm team. The Baby Pens belong NEPA, congrats on the new agreement to both.

Reactions: TNT87

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Did anyone really have doubt that a deal wouldn't be reached?

I know of one person that was convinced (or wishing it) that a deal would not be reached. I guess he could not convince Spectra to step in and try to get the Penguins to relocate to Portland, ME and be back in the AHL.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I know of one person that was convinced (or wishing it) that a deal would not be reached. I guess he could not convince Spectra to step in and try to get the Penguins to relocate to Portland, ME and be back in the AHL.

Said person hasn't been to said games last season.....

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
You mean the Alpha and Omega of all things Portland Hockey didn't even attend a game this past season? I guess the ECHL is beneath said person.

It's a well-known fact that people who are spoiled rotten by a higher brand of hockey will reject a lower brand of hockey on principle. I can understand you not caring for it if you notice the mechanics and aim of the lower brand is geared towards a different demographic than you and cite that the pace of the play on the ice isn't what you're used to seeing, but to refuse to see it just because it's not the exact same thing you had before is pretty childish.

(I'm going to get a reply from the inmate rambling about why it's not the exact same thing and why he's going to stand at the exact same spot until he gets his Pirates back, dammit, aren't I?)

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
On top of what you posted, it's not like the arena is falling apart. Haven't been in the depths of the arena, locker rooms, etc. but purely from a fan perspective there is absolutely nothing wrong with the arena.
It was built in 1998, so before signing another ten year extension it would be prudent to have it spelled out who is responsible for updates on a building that will be 30 years old before the lease is done. I didn't see any reports anyone was claiming it was falling down, but who knows what new innovation in arena technology will come along in 2023?

Reactions: Beauner

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It's a well-known fact that people who are spoiled rotten by a higher brand of hockey will reject a lower brand of hockey on principle. I can understand you not caring for it if you notice the mechanics and aim of the lower brand is geared towards a different demographic than you and cite that the pace of the play on the ice isn't what you're used to seeing, but to refuse to see it just because it's not the exact same thing you had before is pretty childish.

(I'm going to get a reply from the inmate rambling about why it's not the exact same thing and why he's going to stand at the exact same spot until he gets his Pirates back, dammit, aren't I?)

Said individual has seemingly gone dark

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Can you hear a pin drop?

When it gets closer for Seattle to announce where their AHL affiliate will be at, the said individual will rise once again.

Geez...just like the Dark Lord in the Harry Potter movies...my god he really is he shalt not be named...

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
To the surprise of no one, the lease was officially approved by the Luzerne County Convention Center Authority today. Included is a little bit more detail of future upgrades to the arena, which sheds a little light on the negotiations:
Both sides have committed to investing heavily in capital improvements for the arena. The Penguins will be spending nearly $900,000.00 for updates to locker room facilities and back of house areas, while the authority will be paying for a new LED lighting system, the addition of a ribbon board, and other mutually agreed upon future projects – all aimed at improving the fan experience for games and other arena activities.
Compromise is not dead!

Press release: ARENA LEASE EXTENSION UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED | Mohegan

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
How can you be a fan of a team that doesn't exist?

It's pretty easy. Even on this forum, there's hardcore Québec Nordiques fans and they haven't existed in a long time. Hartford Whalers fans are still every present, and they played in a mall and were so bad that they threw a parade when they finally won a playoff series.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->