Wilkes-Barre/Scranton update:

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
AXE:

THEN WHY Has it gotten to the point where the AHL Is requiring a decision, then,

Because...
axecrew said:
every year at this time the BOG meets in Chicago to discuss the next season...and every year the member teams must state their intentions as to whether or not they are playing this year and where.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
because said poster brings up franchises not relevant..... since when did Calgary or Ottawa become AHL Markets, and clearly doesn't get Hartford and why XL hasn't been upgraded, which has nothing to do with the point of the thread which is why the AHL IS FORCING THE DECISION ON PIT/LUZERNE TO resolve the issue, and a framework agreement

I never said that Ottawa or Calgary were AHL markets. I said, and I can't make this any clearer to you, that they demanded arena upgrades or new arenas entirely. That's exactly what WBS is doing. It's a common negotiating strategy teams take.

Every single year at the AHL BOG meeting teams are supposed to announce what's happening for the next year. Considering the Mohegan Sun Arena lease expires in a month, that's an unsound future. None of this could be made more clear to you.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
AXE:

THEN WHY Has it gotten to the point where the AHL Is requiring a decision, then.... if it's a normal year as you claim it is this thread never gets posted

I'll type it very slowly for you so it makes sense....At this time every year...the board meets in Chicago...all of the teams reps also show up...not much fun if the AHL is the only ones at at the party since its a major waste of good coffee and sandwiches...the league asks all of it's teams if they intended on playing in the AHL for the upcoming, in this case 19-20, season AND ( here's the best part) WHERE they plan on playing their HOME games. See they really need to figure out a schedule...kinda the main thing on which the games depend on...so see it's VERY IMPORTANT to know where a team is going to play...doesn't really work too well to schedule the Pens in wb/s if they are playing their games in salt lake city. Would kinda suck for the opponent to skate out onto the ice in wb/s for warm ups while the pens were skating out for warm ups in SLC...I mean I guess they could hotly contest the game on NHL 19 but doesnt seem like it would be much fun. Not too mention not many beers and hotdogs gonna be sold or revenue for buildings that are empty of fans.

It hasn't gotten to any POINT...it's exactly where it is EVERY year at this time for ALL 31 teams...wb/s is only in the spotlight due to an expiring lease agreement. EVERY AHL team has to tell the league what they intend to do EVERY year...no one is "picking"on wb/s

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
doesn't really work too well to schedule the Pens in wb/s if they are playing their games in salt lake city. Would kinda suck for the opponent to skate out onto the ice in wb/s for warm ups while the pens were skating out for warm ups in SLC...I mean I guess they could hotly contest the game on NHL 19 but doesnt seem like it would be much fun. Not too mention not many beers and hotdogs gonna be sold or revenue for buildings that are empty of fans.

Oh my god no, now Hutch is going to give you a rant about how the original Utah Grizzlies started in the IHL before the AHL then relocated from West Valley City to Cleveland.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Oh my god no, now Hutch is going to give you a rant about how the original Utah Grizzlies started in the IHL before the AHL then relocated from West Valley City to Cleveland.

Remember what Ron White said you can't fix...what I can't figure out is why a guy with a team in the ECHL cares what happens in the AHL I mean it's not like they are EVER getting a team again. But I will give credit where credit is due...the guy is multi-talented...able to piss off people in 2 different forums at the same time

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I never said that Ottawa or Calgary were AHL markets. I said, and I can't make this any clearer to you, that they demanded arena upgrades or new arenas entirely. That's exactly what WBS is doing. It's a common negotiating strategy teams take.

Every single year at the AHL BOG meeting teams are supposed to announce what's happening for the next year. Considering the Mohegan Sun Arena lease expires in a month, that's an unsound future. None of this could be made more clear to you.
that's not confirmed from anywhere that's speculation just as anything being reported media-wise just as rumored relocation cities were discussed if there's no agreement..... just because PIT IS ASKING doesn't make it fact, in fact there's reports of a 10 year extension proposal but no agreement, remember the adage, don't believe everything you see posted, it can and has been done before...... agreements can be logistically agreed to and then reneged upon...... even after being filed with the league......

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
that's not confirmed from anywhere that's speculation just as anything being reported media-wise just as rumored relocation cities were discussed if there's no agreement.

I don't have the time or patience to discuss this with you. I'm leaving this here for you: New Calgary Flames Arena Talks Back on Table - Arena Digest

just because PIT IS ASKING doesn't make it fact, in fact there's reports of a 10 year extension proposal but no agreement, remember the adage, don't believe everything you see posted, it can and has been done before...... agreements can be logistically agreed to and then reneged upon...... even after being filed with the league......

Agreements that are reneged upon are called "broken contracts." Pittsburgh is asking for it. Metaphysically, that makes it factual.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't have the time or patience to discuss this with you. I'm leaving this here for you: New Calgary Flames Arena Talks Back on Table - Arena Digest

Agreements that are reneged upon are called "broken contracts." Pittsburgh is asking for it. Metaphysically, that makes it factual.

uh, beg to disagree......

this is where THE 2013 reference comes in, at CIA...... Lease was contractually agreed in April 2013, but CIA backed out it by September AND THE AHL WORKED DESPITE A territory expansion of market and renovations were in Phase II, Arizona had nothing to do with the lease, BD

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Pensburgh has this to state: ie lease:

nothing public has been revealed regarding any discussions between the Luzerne County Authority and PIT;

SPECULATION REMAINS OVER YEARS OF LEASE TERM as well as upgrades, neither confirmed or denied 5/2/19

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
“At the spring meeting, all teams must declare their intentions to be members of the AHL and where they will be playing next season,” Chaimovitch said.
When asked if Pittsburgh has submitted a request for relocation of its Wilkes-Barre/Scranton franchise, Chaimovitch said, “I don’t believe so.”

This tells me that an agreement will be made and announced in the next day or two. I'm sure if the two sides were far apart, Pittsburgh would have a plan B in place already as to where their AHL would play their home games for the 2019-20 season. If the 2 sides are so close to a deal, it would not take much for it to happen.

I think the lease has been agreed to in principle. The only issue is the length of the lease is where the 2 sides are not in full agreement at this time. That is what I get from reading the article.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Why has it gotten to the point where the AHL is requiring a decision ... uh, they always require a decision. It's just that usually that decision isn't up in the air and is an easy, "yo, we're gonna be right here next year."

Reactions: 210

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Why do people constantly get sucked into letting the inmate run the prison? Ignore, acknowledge previous sanity and move on. Everybody will be better off.

Because the inmate somehow sneaks his way into the warden's office and starts rambling nonsense on the microphone about his crackpot theories every few months or so. No matter how many times he's thrown into solitary, he keeps doing it.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Moving it to Pittsburgh would not be a great move the moose and barracuda are in the bottom 15 in attendance AHL 2018-19 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Wow. Bottom half with 13 other teams...... Impressive.

They are "forcing" nothing...every year at this time the BOG meets in Chicago to discuss the next season...and every year the member teams must state their intentions as to whether or not they are playing this year and where. There is no covert operation here...just standard every year stuff. I would think that someone who purports to be an expert on the AHL by laws would know all of this and avoid the trap of speaking out of turn. Like you said ...no one knows what's going on behind the scenes...Not Even You

I am convinced no one know the by laws and there may not actually be any in the AHL with the disregard for common sense the league follows.

I'll type it very slowly for you so it makes sense....At this time every year...the board meets in Chicago...all of the teams reps also show up...not much fun if the AHL is the only ones at at the party since its a major waste of good coffee and sandwiches...the league asks all of it's teams if they intended on playing in the AHL for the upcoming, in this case 19-20, season AND ( here's the best part) WHERE they plan on playing their HOME games. See they really need to figure out a schedule...kinda the main thing on which the games depend on...so see it's VERY IMPORTANT to know where a team is going to play...doesn't really work too well to schedule the Pens in wb/s if they are playing their games in salt lake city. Would kinda suck for the opponent to skate out onto the ice in wb/s for warm ups while the pens were skating out for warm ups in SLC...I mean I guess they could hotly contest the game on NHL 19 but doesnt seem like it would be much fun. Not too mention not many beers and hotdogs gonna be sold or revenue for buildings that are empty of fans.

It hasn't gotten to any POINT...it's exactly where it is EVERY year at this time for ALL 31 teams...wb/s is only in the spotlight due to an expiring lease agreement. EVERY AHL team has to tell the league what they intend to do EVERY year...no one is "picking"on wb/s

You apparently did not type it slowly enough. And I am ok with them wasting coffee (as long as it is not Dunkin Coffee) and sandwiches as long as they are not wasting pizza or beer. :)

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Wow. Bottom half with 13 other teams...... Impressive.

I am convinced no one know the by laws and there may not actually be any in the AHL with the disregard for common sense the league follows.

You apparently did not type it slowly enough. And I am ok with them wasting coffee (as long as it is not Dunkin Coffee) and sandwiches as long as they are not wasting pizza or beer. :)
Winnipeg is supposedly the Green Bay of hockey shouldn’t they fill up the arena no matter what when every one of their 3 teams are playing.San Jose is understandable I saw first hand that the sharks do not care much about how there ahl team is run as long as they develop quality nhl players

Last edited:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
On top of what you posted, it's not like the arena is falling apart. Haven't been in the depths of the arena, locker rooms, etc. but purely from a fan perspective there is absolutely nothing wrong with the arena.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The lease extension is official. The term is ten years.

Press release direct from the team: LCCCA AND PENGUINS ANNOUNCE AGREEMENT IN PRINCIPLE ON TEN YEAR EXTENSION | arena agreement
The Luzerne County Convention Center Authority and the National Hockey League’s Pittsburgh Penguins jointly announced this morning that both parties have reached an agreement in principle on a 10-year contract lease extension to keep the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League in Northeast Pennsylvania. The understanding calls for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to remain and play its seasons in the Authority’s arena for an additional ten years, commencing in July of 2019, subject to terms of the Lease. The Authority will seek formal approval of the various Lease provisions at its regularly scheduled meeting this Wednesday, May 11th at noon, following which it will hold a press conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad