Wilkes-Barre/Scranton update:

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The Times Leader has a bit of an update on the situation that makes it seem as though a deal may come along soon.
Zingaretti informed Collins that board members are bound by a non-disclosure agreement that prevents them from going into detail about the ongoing talks. But Zingaretti said there have been almost daily discussions, some face-to-face and others in email exchanges, as part of the effort to renew the lease that expires June 30.
“I believe that both parties would agree that we’re very close to a resolution so that’s kind of the most I can say at this point,” Zingaretti said.

Seems promising. The article adds that right now the sticking point is funding for upgrades and renovations to the arena after some grants fell through. Maybe we won't be getting the Wilkes-Barre Admirals afterall?

Full article: Arena official: Lease-renewal deal with WBS Pens ‘very close’ | Times Leader

Last edited:

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Can they retain their geographic names, though? e.g. the Hershey Admirals, the Syracuse Admirals, the Providence Admirals, the Rosemont Admirals, etc. but all playing in Milwaukee. I think this way they'd keep all the original fans from afar.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for the ECHL to do the same thing. Think about how easy the call-ups would be for AHL teams. The Portland Admirals of Milwaukee sure has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

Boxer Courage

May 26, 2018
Nobody in their right mind would put an AHL club in Wheeling. It's not a slam against the city or the Nailers, but it's rust belt town that hasn't recovered from the industrial downturn with a chronically dwindling population, and the rink isn't NHL regulation. This is akin to talking AHL in Johnstown, except their ice is 200 feet long. The Nailers have to be hanging on in the E by a thread as virtually every other market similar to theirs has been gone from that league for years.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Nobody in their right mind would put an AHL club in Wheeling. It's not a slam against the city or the Nailers, but it's rust belt town that hasn't recovered from the industrial downturn with a chronically dwindling population, and the rink isn't NHL regulation. This is akin to talking AHL in Johnstown, except their ice is 200 feet long. The Nailers have to be hanging on in the E by a thread as virtually every other market similar to theirs has been gone from that league for years.

I'm amazed they're still in the ECHL. If we still had the Minor League Death Watch, Wheeling would be a regular Yellow or Orange.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
then you have absolutely no clue about either the AHL or ECHL, then, Boxer, are you also saying, Manchester, Worcester, and Portland don't need pro hockey :rolleyes:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I'm amazed they're still in the ECHL. If we still had the Minor League Death Watch, Wheeling would be a regular Yellow or Orange.

IIRC, Wheeling is municipally owned, so they'll be around as long as the municipal government desires. For a smaller city like Wheeling, a pro hockey team is an intrinsic benefit, providing jobs and entertainment, as well as helping fill dates at the arena. Having the connection to the nearby Penguins really helps, too.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
(Bus League Hockey) also reached out to the Sports Editor of the paper in Wheeling to ask if he had ever heard of rumors of them folding or dropping down a league, but he did not respond to our request on either Facebook or Twitter.
What self-respecting newspaper sports editor would EVER respond to such a question on social media? Especially if the inquiry comes from Bus(h) League. :noway:

Boxer Courage

May 26, 2018
then you have absolutely no clue about either the AHL or ECHL, then, Boxer, are you also saying, Manchester, Worcester, and Portland don't need pro hockey :rolleyes:
Nope, none of the cities you mention are even near the state of disrepair that Wheeling unfortunately finds itself in. I also don’t think Wheeling shouldn’t have pro hockey. If it was my money, I’d stay out of Wheeling, but if someone else wants to do it, fine, and great for the town, I’ll still think it’s crazy.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... If it was my money, I’d stay out of Wheeling, but if someone else wants to do it, fine, and great for the town, I’ll still think it’s crazy.
Ownership in a North American hockey team below the AHL level is more often than not based on emotion rather than on sound business principals. So if emotion makes someone "crazy" then that label can be applied to most of the posters on these Forums. ... OK, so we knew that already ... o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: axecrew

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
So it is agreed and there we shall have the peace. Don Corleone will provide his protection in the east and all AHL teams will move to Milwaukee and be call their original geography Admirals except Rosemont Rear Admirals.

Wheeling Nailers shall remain in Wheeling, IL in order to provide all call ups to the Admirals.

But There is another son and if he should die while in police custody or be struck by a bolt of lightning I shall hold some of you in this room accountable.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... But There is another son and if he should die while in police custody or be struck by a bolt of lightning I shall hold some of you in this room accountable.
Perhaps that should be all of us ... in keeping with the all-in-Admirals theme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad