OT: Wildfires

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Whistler's air quality is currently considered moderate risk and Vancouver is at very high risk apparently right now. Take that how you like, you're probably fine as long as you're not doing strenuous outdoor activities all day or have breathing problems to begin with.
I was in Whistler YESTERDAY and was way worse there. Somewhere between Squampton and Whistler you can actually start smelling it when you breath. Then is quite strong when you get to Whistler. Very wierd

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Damn. Was originally planning to do Grouse Grind on Friday. Out of the question now?

There's some onshore flow expected by then. However, there is smoke all the way out to the pacific now so it might actually blow back over us rather than clear it out immediately. Weather models suggest we will get a bit of a dousing over the weekend and beyond, so I would hold off until then.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Thx guys. Traveling with a 16 month old so appreciate the info. Will try to avoid Hope, if I can. Cheers

That sucks. I'm just west of Hope in Chilliwack and haven't seen blue skies in days; the city smells like campfire (although thats a bit of an improvement tbh)

Keep checking the air quality reports and take them to heart. IMO your little one shouldn't be exposed to the outdoors at all as it is... hopefully it will clear up a bit in a few days.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I appreciate the info, as well.

I heard some planes were grounded yesterday. After a short layover at SeaTac, I'll be flying into YYJ Victoria airport next Monday.

I haven't been home in 3 years, and was looking forward to spending time outdoors in Victoria, and a few days all around Vancouver, though I'm not sure what expect next week.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I appreciate the info, as well.

I heard some planes were grounded yesterday. After a short layover at SeaTac, I'll be flying into YYJ Victoria airport next Monday.

I haven't been home in 3 years, and was looking forward to spending time outdoors in Victoria, and a few days all around Vancouver, though I'm not sure what expect next week.
Its fine, just be responsible and stay away from the fires

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Went to Kelowna on Fri. Cancelled our plans and returned home on Sat. My wife, (who goes by moose or moosis) has asthma. She hasn't left the house since. She is in distress, and close to going to the hospital.

The interior is almost unlivable for people with breathing problems. Hopefully this clears up in a few days, but make no mistake, this is a serious health issue. Our visibility in Chilliwack is down to a few hundred meters.

The people we visited in Kelowna say its horrible. Our friends built a very nice house with a fantastic view of Lake Okanagan ... we saw it Fri night, Sat morning not a chance.

My wife is crawling the walls ... we try to walk 10 - 15 km 4 or 5 times a week. She is housebound.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Went to Kelowna on Fri. Cancelled our plans and returned home on Sat. My wife, (who goes by moose or moosis) has asthma. She hasn't left the house since. She is in distress, and close to going to the hospital.

The interior is almost unlivable for people with breathing problems. Hopefully this clears up in a few days, but make no mistake, this is a serious health issue. Our visibility in Chilliwack is down to a few hundred meters.

The people we visited in Kelowna say its horrible. Our friends built a very nice house with a fantastic view of Lake Okanagan ... we saw it Fri night, Sat morning not a chance.

My wife is crawling the walls ... we try to walk 10 - 15 km 4 or 5 times a week. She is housebound.
Suppose to get some rain today, hopefully enough rain and wind to make the situ more liveable

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford

That's tough. My fiancee has similar asthma problems. We lived in Kamloops last year and thank god we had air conditioning... that last year was worse than anything I've ever encountered. We now live in Abbotsford without air conditioning, and we're fine. But it's not good to be breathing this stuff in. I work outdoors for a living and we joke that we won't know the true effects of this smoke for another 20 years or so. I guess we'll see in 20 years! (hopefully the Canucks win a cup before then)

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
That's tough. My fiancee has similar asthma problems. We lived in Kamloops last year and thank god we had air conditioning... that last year was worse than anything I've ever encountered. We now live in Abbotsford without air conditioning, and we're fine. But it's not good to be breathing this stuff in. I work outdoors for a living and we joke that we won't know the true effects of this smoke for another 20 years or so. I guess we'll see in 20 years! (hopefully the Canucks win a cup before then)

We rely heavily on the air conditioning in the summer ..... do you play hockey in abbotsford?

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Whats with all the people still running outside with all this smoke? Isnt it advised against this?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I can also imagine a lot of people who hack cigarettes daily, are complaining about the smoke - which is just beyond hilarious to me.

Reactions: racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I can also imagine a lot of people who hack cigarettes daily, are complaining about the smoke - which is just beyond hilarious to me.

My favorite was when I worked at a fitness centre and people would complain when we had to lock our rear doors, and they had to walk around the building before going for their workout... its just small ironic things I enjoy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad