OT: Wildfires

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yeah just stay away from the fires, dont SMOKE in our woods, no campfires, and USE your brain when travelling around the province. OUR woods are delicate right now cause is so dry and will continue to be for a the rest a the month ATLEAST

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hey guys, is it still safe to travel there? Supposed to come to Van and Whistler in 2 weeks. Thanks
Uh...well...kinda. Hope you weren't expecting crystal clear skies like the tourism posters show. Half the province in on fire atm...wouldn't recommend bonfires if you go camping.

Vancouver and Whistler are perfectly safe, if smoggy and smoky.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The lower mainland metropolitan areas are not going to get burned, but a lot of the rest of BC is. And the air is gonna be awful to breathe, and you won't be able to see anything. Do you feel lucky, punk?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I’m coming on the 23rd of August to Van, Surrey, Coquitlam, Hope, Torino, and Victoria. It will be Smokey air in all these areas? Many thanks for the reply.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Surrey to Vancouver to Victoria you should be somewhat okay when it comes to smoke. It’s a little hazy but nothing too serious where you can’t breathe or see anything. Hope has a little more smoke because it’s closer to the fires and is more East, but again, there isn’t a lot of smoke

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I’m coming on the 23rd of August to Van, Surrey, Coquitlam, Hope, Torino, and Victoria. It will be Smokey air in all these areas? Many thanks for the reply.

Tofino and Victoria are usually fine as the winds usually come off the ocean from the west and the air is clean,in fact it's almost 100% clear today.If the air stalls or comes in from the in interior,then it can get hazy but probably better than anywhere on the mainland.

Hope would probably get it the worst of any of the areas you have listed,though.If you could change that part of your trip,it would probably be a good plan.Salt Spring Island is a good diversion between Vancouver and Victoria but you gotta watch out for the herpes there as well.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Thx guys. Traveling with a 16 month old so appreciate the info. Will try to avoid Hope, if I can. Cheers

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
body-armor-motorcycle-jacket-black-or-red-2_1024x1024.jpg

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Surrey to Vancouver to Victoria you should be somewhat okay when it comes to smoke. It’s a little hazy but nothing too serious where you can’t breathe or see anything. Hope has a little more smoke because it’s closer to the fires and is more East, but again, there isn’t a lot of smoke

I guess it is all relative... But driving downtown from the Ferries in Tsawwassen two days ago, on a Sunny day, we couldn't even see the Mountains of the North Shore. It is certainly pretty smokey here, but nothing like the interior.

Sports teams have cancelled games all around the province due to air quality health concerns, but we played soccer today with no issues other than the odd person with scratchy eyes. Certainly heavier air though.

I was in Victoria on Wed too, and it was a little smoggy there. I bet Tofino with the wind and being on the West coast would be the best of all the spots.

There was some of this last summer, but not the same. I have been here all of my 50 plus years, and I can not remember anything like it in Vancouver.

Seen some bad stuff in the Okanagan, but not here for more than a day or two. It is crazy

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Might as well take up smoking now to see what that's all about. Probably healthier to smoke inside at this point than it is to go for a run outside.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Whistler's air quality is currently considered moderate risk and Vancouver is at very high risk apparently right now. Take that how you like, you're probably fine as long as you're not doing strenuous outdoor activities all day or have breathing problems to begin with.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad