GDT: Wild vs. Jets - 10/31/17 - 7PM CT - FSN - Spooky-Scary Just Win Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba had a crap game, with some horrendous turnovers. It happens. Ek should've covered his man better on the first goal, also.

The Wild have to score more than one goal. For all the talent that the Jets have, that game was there for the taking.

Good news is that Reilly continues to play well, and Kunin looks to have calmed down and found his stick. Is it possible that he is up for good?

Stalock was also very good. At this point, I have more faith in him than any backup since....Harding?

In general, i thought the wild lacked a bit of luck tonight. Granlund missing the net, Cullen also, Reilly on an open blast from the point when the Jets were on their heels... a lot of missed nets and shots.

Reactions: MehMild

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
They just don't look very good right now. It's not panic time yet, but they need to wake up a little bit in the next few games.

Reactions: Jets2point0

MehMild

Not someone whose name means testicles.
Jan 25, 2017
I'm not in any way saying that BB needs to be replaced. All I'm saying is that he had a bad game. For him to throw Dumba under the bus tonight just rubs me the wrong way. Why in the world would you start the game trapping against a team that is terrible in it'sown end.
That pass was horrific though and led to that goal. I don't think the coach was at the bench saying "hey leave a crap drop pass where they can get it and the trailing teammate cannot".

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That pass was horrific though and led to that goal. I don't think the coach was at the bench saying "hey leave a crap drop pass where they can get it and the trailing teammate cannot".
That pass was exactly what a drop pass is supossed to look like. You can't exactly fire a puck behind you when you don't know where your teammate is.

MehMild

Not someone whose name means testicles.
Jan 25, 2017
That pass was exactly what a drop pass is supossed to look like. You can't exactly fire a puck behind you when you don't know where your teammate is.
Then there shouldn't be a pass?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
As an experience being at the X for a Wild game was awesome. Too bad Wild didn't show up. I liked Kunin, Granny, Koivu, Suter and Stalock tonight.

I hope we show up on thursday vs the Habs.

Reactions: FVM

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Then there shouldn't be a pass?
They shouldn't be running the same play that has failed numerous times and already lead to 3 breakaways in the first two periods. The second that Granlund starts circling back, Ehlers knew exactly what was going to happen and he jumped the play.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Who was the pass intended to? Why would he be behind Dumba on the breakout if it wasn't a designed play? Watch it back, Granlund basically goes completely around the faceoff circle. The Jets were on to this play all night and the Wild kept running it, That's a coaching mistake.

It's a play that every team has to gain speed through the NZ. 98% of the time it's a PP thing. In an even strength situation it's up to the players to know when/when not to do it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As an experience being at the X for a Wild game was awesome. Too bad Wild didn't show up. I liked Kunin, Granny, Koivu, Suter and Stalock tonight.

I hope we show up on thursday vs the Habs.

When Koivu is on, he looks better live than on TV. You realize what a handful he is.

Reactions: Lapa

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's a play that every team has to gain speed through the NZ. 98% of the time it's a PP thing. In an even strength situation it's up to the players to know when/when not to do it.
You think that was just something that the players decided to do in that moment?

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Boy I tell ya. In the shots you see on TV where it doesn't look like Boudreau is saying much on the bench, you can pretty much apply that to the rest of the game where you don't see him.

I was sitting 4-6 feet away from him, and the dude is quiet as hell on the bench. I pretty much only ever saw him mumble something when the play stopped, or give an earful to the refs when they made bad calls (and there were a few). Didn't see much of him trying to rile up the boys or whatever, and when the timeout happened the assistant coach did all the talking.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Plenty of good coaches do that.
Some coaches don't believe in chewing out guys on the bench or needing to "fire up" guys with motivation on the bench. They do it in the locker room.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
The easy way out would be to do what BB did and throw Dumba under the bus. It's just rarely that simple. Sure Dumba made a handful of mistakes, one of which led to the game winning goal, but other than that, I liked his physical presence in our own end. Dumba I think was more of a victim of BB's idiotic drop pass play, which didn't work throughout the game. It also blows my mind, that it took 40 minutes to actually start pressuring the Jets' defense. I mean come on, they probably have the slowest top 4 in the NHL, and we go in with a passive 1-3-1? Why didn't the Wild adapt after the first 10 minutes? That's 100% on Boudreau. The decision to bench Dumba was the right one since it sent a message to the whole team to start giving a sh*t. I still don't blame Dumba for the loss, since Dumba isn't responsible for the other guys not capitalizing on their multiple chances that we were finally able to create in the third period.

I'm not saying the loss was 100% Boudreau's or Dumba's fault. It was a joint effort. Boudreau's inability to adapt and the players inability to capitalize on grade A scoring chances. I mean sure, it took almost 40 minutes to start actually creating scoring chances but when they did, there was enough to win the game.

On the positive: Reilly, Stalock, Kunin, Ennis, Brodin and Niederreiter all looked good. Kunin is clearly benefiting from the increased responsibilities and ice time and is getting more and more accustomed to NHL pace. Reilly looked like a seasoned veteran out there tonight and Ennis seemed to be all over the place with his speed. The KGZ line was probably the only line to be able to sustain some offense throughout the dreadful first and second period. Too bad they can't seem to capitalize at the moment. Zucker's hand-eye coordination is atrocious, Granlund can't find the net to save his life and Koivu is not really trying to shoot puck at the moment.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
The X was hands down the best hockey arena I've visited. Only two complaints:
1) Beer is really expensive
2) Some idiot kept yelling "SHOOOT" from our section literally the whole game :laugh:

When Koivu is on, he looks better live than on TV. You realize what a handful he is.

That's a really good point actually. His game doesn't really look as good as it does live.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The lack of forecheck the first two periods isn't just on the FWDs. The d-men (as a whole) bobbled or couldn't get pucks back to the FWDs when it came out to the point. Blocked passes and shots from the points led to too many rushes towards Stalock. The 3rd period the Wild found their legs, and the Jets turtled. Start the 4th line with the 4v4 and Dumba getting benched seemed to get the message across.

The PP looked bad again. No net front presence and playing hot potato with the puck from the halfwall to the point. Any time they started to get the PKers moving, slow it back down and look for a perfect pass.

The Wild came out flat, so many pucks just died on sticks. Lots of guys doing their best Clutterbuck shot impersonation when they had good chances.

I wouldn't pressbox Dumba for the next game. He got benched in the 3rd, so put him back out there and see how he responds. I give Nino a pass for the game, first games after an injury there usually is a lot of rust.

The Jets are a good team. Their d-corps is solid, and they have a ton of FWD talent. If they finally got their goaltender figured out, the head coach is the only weak link. Their defense gets a lot of flack because of how many goals the Jets game up last year. Think how bad the Wild's defense looked whenever Kemps was in net last year. Kemps was on par (quality-wise) with what they had to deal with 82 games last year.

The 4v4 shouldn't have even happened. The Wild should have been on a PP, embellishment BS. But the Wild probably should have been down 1-0 on Spurgeon's penalty to start the game, it was a weak hand-pass call.

Brodin, Ennis, Kunin, and Reilly had good games. Koivu line was average (for that line). Olofsson looked the best he has all year (small sample). Coyle has a few weeks of recovery left, so hopefully all 4 lines will have some consistency.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
2) Some idiot kept yelling "SHOOOT" from our section literally the whole game :laugh:

Jets fan here. Gotta say, even though we are mortal enemies (lol), your fans are fantastic. Love that your rink is "hot" as in boisterous, loud, savvy, etc. The fans seemed to will the Wild in the third to score a goal, very impressive. I much prefer to watch road games in a rink like the X where it's loud and exciting. I hate watching road games on TV in like Carolina or Florida, where the crowd is dead and non existent. So boring.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
no excuse we've lost twice to the jets. where is our offense? its really a joke stewy is leading our team in goals. is this really a nightmare and the season hasn't started yet?

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN

I noticed that with food. I was there with my parents (their first Wild game ever) and we got 3 hotdogs, 2 waters, a coke and a pretzel. Whole thing cost over $45.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

That's a really good point actually. His game doesn't really look as good as it does live.

If you want to see expensive beer, wait till you go to Canada. The "sin taxes" there are really high.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
no excuse we've lost twice to the jets. where is our offense? its really a joke stewy is leading our team in goals. is this really a nightmare and the season hasn't started yet?
Not sure what your expecting when top producers are injured:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad