Pre-Game Talk: Wild v Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Imagine if we miss the playoffs and somehow win the draft lottery.

That would be cool.
Rooting for this

Winning and getting 8th place just prolongs the awfulness because sully will say we were just so close but ran into a hot team.

Miss the playoffs and it's the only way shit changes.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Looks like Rutta is close to returning. Among all the guys Hextall brought in, he's probably the been the best, when he plays. I like what he brings for the most part.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rooting for this

Winning and getting 8th place just prolongs the awfulness because sully will say we were just so close but ran into a hot team.

Miss the playoffs and it's the only way shit changes.
Yeah I just think decision on Hextall/Burke and Sullivan has already been made regardless of whether we backdoor into the POs or not…imo Hex is gone and Sullivan stays and FSG will put out some amazing press release talking about he’s the best coach in the league lol

Reactions: ColePens

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

That would be cool.
Getting the next generational talent would probably send the fans into a frenzy everywhere. I don't think we can move up to #1 anyway if we miss the playoffs. I think the #3 spot is the most we could move up, if we're the highest seeded non playoff team.

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
I've pretty much accepted they will miss the playoffs. The fact that they've been so bad this year has made it easier... They've pissed away so many points and followed decent games with abysmal efforts so many times it has become the norm. It' a goddamn miracle they are only out by one point.

The season can't end soon enough. I hope they make it, but man has it been hard to watch games this season. Fire Hextall and at least make the games enjoyable for the final seasons of the 87-71-58 era.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
We are in the worst place we can be at the moment. Too crappy to make a dent in the playoffs. Too high to get a good chance at change/good lottery pick. Just right there at the bubble with 4 games left.

IF the Pens make the playoffs, I will full-heartedly and blindly root for them to go the distance. Until then, I think the best thing for this team's long-term health is to miss the playoffs. Apparently years of first-round exits aren't enough to make any significant changes and instead earn the coach a sweet multi-year contract. Even a crap-filled year of mediocracy isn't enough to make any significant changes apparently. I hope missing the playoffs is what will help turn this sinking ship around.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Florida playing tonight. We can definitely beat Chicago and Columbus. The Wings not so much.

Tonight should be a good indication if we’re going to make it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Florida playing tonight. We can definitely beat Chicago and Columbus. The Wings not so much.

Tonight should be a good indication if we’re going to make it.
Yeah but 3-1 record over the next four games probably won’t do it…requires either the Isles or Fla lose twice…they haven’t been as bad as .500 over the last couple months, as the Pens have

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I wonder how many local media members on the Pens beat are deep down secretly hoping Fleury stonewalls us so they can write their snide, bullshit article how it’s poetic justice that Fleury ended the era? Rossi is foaming at the mouth at the thought of this.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Looks like Rutta is close to returning. Among all the guys Hextall brought in, he's probably the been the best, when he plays. I like what he brings for the most part.
lol, if he sits friedman instead of Ruhwedel for Rutta, that will tell you everything you need to know why this team under this coach has declined in recent years..those kind of decisions erode slowly but surely all the good juices this team had once upon the time

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
On the bright side, we have been incredibly good against teams from the Central this season.

On the other hand, we have been incredibly bad at winning must win games.

So what will it be? Unstoppable force or immovable object?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Yeah but 3-1 record over the next four games probably won’t do it…requires either the Isles or Fla lose twice…they haven’t been as bad as .500 over the last couple months, as the Pens have
Florida might but yeah that’s hard. So we pretty much need to win out and hope one of them don’t?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

That would be cool.
1680796080551.png

We'd have to get passed by 3 teams just to become eligible for Bedard. Bottom 11 get a crack.
So OTT, BUF, STL, DET, WSH could still do that, theoretically.
If you finish 22nd you get a 3% chance.

Florida might but yeah that’s hard. So we pretty much need to win out and hope one of them don’t?
Yep. One of them need to lose 2 points in their combined 8 games left.
1 isn't enough, since we'd lose the tie-break.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Imagine if Hextall would have traded the 1st for some player that would not have lifted us into the playoffs anyways. Not that throwing away a 2nd would have been nice.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Imagine if Hextall would have traded the 1st for some player that would not have lifted us into the playoffs anyways. Not that throwing away a 2nd would have been nice.
Lucky for us Vancouver turned it down, not 1 bu 2 1st!!!

That would be cool.
Better that then missing and picking 15th or 16th. I'll gladly take pick #5 or #6

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
On the bright side, we have been incredibly good against teams from the Central this season.

On the other hand, we have been incredibly bad at winning must win games.

So what will it be? Unstoppable force or immovable object?
Minnesota's offense has been 6th in the league with Kaprizov out. 26th with him in.
He's out tonight lol.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I'm betting Islanders lose tonight against Tampa.
- Win vs Philly
- Toss-up vs Wash
- Win vs Montreal

Florida..
- Win vs Ottawa
- Win vs Wash
- Lose vs Toronto
- Toss-up vs Carolina

Best case for us?
- Win tonight.
- Lose to Detroit.
- Beat Chicago/Columbus. I'm hoping they both want to throw the game to guarantee bottom standings, but that depends on how the next few games play out.

Predictions?
Florida is in. They chose a good time to get hot and string some wins together.
Our only chance is if NY screw ups. It's more likely they won't and we will.

Go Pens go!

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We are in the worst place we can be at the moment. Too crappy to make a dent in the playoffs. Too high to get a good chance at change/good lottery pick. Just right there at the bubble with 4 games left.

IF the Pens make the playoffs, I will full-heartedly and blindly root for them to go the distance. Until then, I think the best thing for this team's long-term health is to miss the playoffs. Apparently years of first-round exits aren't enough to make any significant changes and instead earn the coach a sweet multi-year contract. Even a crap-filled year of mediocracy isn't enough to make any significant changes apparently. I hope missing the playoffs is what will help turn this sinking ship around.
It is impressive how the FO refusing to commit to one path or the other put us in a uniquely terrible place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad