Wild to host 2021 Winter Classic

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Winnipeg would be a great opponent and a match up like that wouldn't be to reliant on the north star's history like ST Louis, Pittsburgh LA or Philly would be.

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
99% sure the opponent will be a Central div team which means 99% chance there will still not be a Pacific Division team ever represented in the January 1 Winter Classic. This streak of keeping an entire division out of the league's single showcase holiday game is pathetic and could only happen in the NHL.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Chicago looks as if they're contracted to play in the Winter Classic in all odd years, so I fully expect Wild/Blackhawks. Pittsburgh hasn't played in it since 2011, so they'll probably be pushed by NBC as well.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
The Wild need to stay somewhat competitive until then so Gabby doesn't get canned. We need another Road to the Winter Classic featuring the living legend.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
99% sure the opponent will be a Central div team which means 99% chance there will still not be a Pacific Division team ever represented in the January 1 Winter Classic. This streak of keeping an entire division out of the league's single showcase holiday game is pathetic and could only happen in the NHL.

I think that's largely time slot, though. The Rose Bowl is at 5 pm ET, 2 pm PT. The Winter Classic is at 11 am PT, so it ends right before the Rose Bowl kicks off so they're not competing for ratings.

An 11 am start time for Pacific teams would be a tough ask.... and of course, the Rose Bowl basically takes LA and Anaheim off the table as potential teams for the Winter Classic (and then you've got possible fan cross-over with Sharks fans going to the Rose Bowl instead of the WC if Cal/Stanford make it; or UW/Seattle NHL Name TBD fans.

I think a great Winter Classic site would be Chase Field in Arizona. I went to a baseball game there in May (92 degrees) and they had the roof closed until after the National Anthem, then they opened the roof... but kept the AC on. You could do open roof Winter Classic there, use AC if you need it (but probably won't because it's like low 40, high of 65 here around New Year's), and there'd be no sun on the ice because the roof is high enough.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
And they have done Ducks/Kings at Dodger Stadium, Kings and Sharks at Levis, and are going to do Kings at Avs next year in Stadium Series games.

NEVER PLAYED in outdoor game:
Tampa Bay, Florida, Columbus, Carolina, Arizona, Vegas

NHL Markets not hosting Outdoor Game:
Tampa Bay, Florida, Columbus, Carolina, Arizona, Nashville, Ottawa, Montreal, and Vegas (but they did have a neutral site preseason game in the 90s, the grasshopper game).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Yesterday's game began about 10:30am PT (12:30pm CT).

Any start before noon local time requires approval by the union (AKA NHLPA). So under most circumstances, the league avoids this by not scheduling before noon. In a case like this, the NHLPA would probably approve.

That would impact any game in the MT or PT (or AZT) time zones to fit the NBC time frame with the 8am-10am Rose Parade and 2pm bowl game.

Start time may be impacted by any network requirements for football or other activities for those thinking about the next NHL TV deal.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Yesterday's game began about 10:30am PT (12:30pm CT).

Any start before noon local time requires approval by the union (AKA NHLPA). So under most circumstances, the league avoids this by not scheduling before noon. In a case like this, the NHLPA would probably approve.

That would impact any game in the MT or PT (or AZT) time zones to fit the NBC time frame with the 8am-10am Rose Parade and 2pm bowl game.

Start time may be impacted by any network requirements for football or other activities for those thinking about the next NHL TV deal.

Was it 10:30 PT, or 11:30 PT time? I'm in Phoenix (MT), and I got to the bar at 11:30 for the game to start after noon....

But yeah, that would be why they're aren't Pacific Division teams involved.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I assume Vegas will get the next one after this, with the new Raiders Stadium being built and opened next year. People don't need much of an incentive to go to Vegas and I'm sure that tons of people would love that trip, you just have to figure out who the opposing team would be.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
That's only because their local stadium is domed, they hosted Ottawa at BC Place.

They did not play outdoors so therefore it was not an outdoor game.

I live in Vancouver. The event was an absolute sham. They gave away thousands upon thousands of tickets and it marked the beginning of their recent attendance issues.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't even know, does Vancouver (or anywhere nearby) have a venue suitable for hosting an outdoor game?

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Vancouver had a very short lived temporary Stadium built at Empire Field around 2010. It was pretty awesome. Capacity was 27,500 so likely not attractive enough for the NHL.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I assume Vegas will get the next one after this, with the new Raiders Stadium being built and opened next year. People don't need much of an incentive to go to Vegas and I'm sure that tons of people would love that trip, you just have to figure out who the opposing team would be.
Raiders stadium is indoors.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I don't even know, does Vancouver (or anywhere nearby) have a venue suitable for hosting an outdoor game?
T-Mobile field in Seattle (where Mariners play). Seattle vs Vancouver there one day. T-Mobile field is outdoors but has a roof, but when the roof is closed, the stadium is not completely enclosed. Centurylink field or Husky stadium may be options as well but then you have to deal with rain anytime during hockey season.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Was it 10:30 PT, or 11:30 PT time? I'm in Phoenix (MT), and I got to the bar at 11:30 for the game to start after noon....

But yeah, that would be why they're aren't Pacific Division teams involved.

10:30am PST (aka 11:30am AZT or 11:30am MST). Phoenix is in Arizona. Arizona does not participate in daylight savings time. They are "always" on MST (never on MDT), which is why some call it AZT.

Allegiant Stadium is under roof. (But there is a "window")

It's possible the NHL could play at Sam Boyd Stadium "outdoors", but I'd guess a bunch of work would be needed on it, in addition to anything the league would do to install rink, as it's old and UNLV is heading to Allegiant to share with the NFL Raiders. (UNLV will play on artificial turf, but NFL games will be on grass; similar to NFL Arizona Cardinals' arena, the NFL field will be in a "tray" that lives outside during the week and comes in for the game once a week.)

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
10:30am PST (aka 11:30am AZT or 11:30am MST). Phoenix is in Arizona. Arizona does not participate in daylight savings time. They are "always" on MST (never on MDT), which is why some call it AZT.

Allegiant Stadium is under roof. (But there is a "window")

It's possible the NHL could play at Sam Boyd Stadium "outdoors", but I'd guess a bunch of work would be needed on it, in addition to anything the league would do to install rink, as it's old and UNLV is heading to Allegiant to share with the NFL Raiders. (UNLV will play on artificial turf, but NFL games will be on grass; similar to NFL Arizona Cardinals' arena, the NFL field will be in a "tray" that lives outside during the week and comes in for the game once a week.)
Pretty sure they will demolish Sam Boyd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad