Wild take stranglehold on division

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
You'd think I'd be avidly cheering for or against someone in terms of possible first round playoffs for the Wings but I'm not. It's really looking to be one of two teams for which there's a story line and a legitimate reason to be concerned.

If It's Nashville, which it would be if the playoffs started today, I'd be facing a team that has had the Wings number this season (hope I didn't give away any secrets to him at that GM conference in Toronto or at the Majors game).

If it's Calgary then I have to face a goalie (Backstrom) angry at being traded and could come back to haunt me. Lets face it, would the Flames be in this position without Backstrom?

Of course there is the possibility of it being some other team but those chances have been decreasing rapidly as of late.

The Canucks or Wild would have have to leapfrog both Calgary and Nashville or Calgary would have to make up 6 points in 9 games on Edmonton as a tie breaker would probably go to Edmonton.

BTW have we sorted out who is going to be simming the playoffs for as long as the Flames stay alive in the postseason?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Calgary 82 (9 left)
Nashville 82 L (9 left)
Vancouver 80 (8 left)
Minnesota 79 (8 left)
------------
Colorado 76 T (8 left)
San Jose 74 W(8 left)
BlueJackets 72 W (8 left)
Anaheim 70 L(9 left)

Another day and nothing is any clearer. Nashville had a chance to end the Jackets realistic hopes, but the CBJ come through with a HUGE 4-0 win to stay in the picture. Tough loss for the Ducks against the Leafs, but they do have a game in hand against the teams they are chasing. The Sharks come through big with a 2-1 win over Dallas to get within 5 points while the Avs can't be happy they only came away with a tie against a Caps squad that had lost 10 straight.

Tomorrow, two massive games in the Northwest. The Wild host the Oilers and the Canucks host the Flames. No doubt the 9-12 teams are hoping Calgary and Edmonton can come away with wins and the Sharks expect to come away with 2 points against the Kings.

Fun stuff.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
You'd think I'd be avidly cheering for or against someone in terms of possible first round playoffs for the Wings but I'm not. It's really looking to be one of two teams for which there's a story line and a legitimate reason to be concerned.

If It's Nashville, which it would be if the playoffs started today, I'd be facing a team that has had the Wings number this season (hope I didn't give away any secrets to him at that GM conference in Toronto or at the Majors game).

If it's Calgary then I have to face a goalie (Backstrom) angry at being traded and could come back to haunt me. Lets face it, would the Flames be in this position without Backstrom?

Of course there is the possibility of it being some other team but those chances have been decreasing rapidly as of late.

The Canucks or Wild would have have to leapfrog both Calgary and Nashville or Calgary would have to make up 6 points in 9 games on Edmonton as a tie breaker would probably go to Edmonton.

BTW have we sorted out who is going to be simming the playoffs for as long as the Flames stay alive in the postseason?

Well consdering the Rangers playoff hopes are shot, I'm assuming I will be again....

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Well consdering the Rangers playoff hopes are shot, I'm assuming I will be again....

I don't know if you can say that just yet, I think the finish in the east is going to be pretty close....

Senators 84 6-2-2 W2 (1 extra game)
Panthers 82 3-6-1 W1 (1 game in hand)
Penguins 81 5-4-1 L1
Leafs 80 4-4-2 W2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruins 75 3-7-0 L2
Rangers 73 2-5-3 L2 (1 game in hand)

So we have 9 games left in the season with 18 points up for grabs... all it takes is one bad loosing streak or one solid win streak and these ranks could change rather quickly...

Just to give a quick summary of the eastern conference playoff race:

OTT (TOR, BOSx2, MTL, LAK, FLA, COL)
Senators are on a real tear right now with a 6-2-2 record and only losing 6 points in their last 10 games. Schedule is pretty scary for the rest of the playoff hopeful eastern teams since they play TOR, BOS and FLA for 4 of their remaining 7 games... the Sens are a virtual lock for the playoffs if they can continue their red hot pace.

FLA (TAMx2, PHI, WASx3, PIT, CHI, OTT)
Something is in the water in florida with the team dropping in the standings on a 3-6-1 record... this looks like a blip though since Florida's facing probably the easiest schedule in the East... especially with 3 games against WAS who has lost all of their last 10 games.

PIT (NYRx4, FLA, ANH, NJD, LAK)
Theres a real story here between the Penguins and the Rangers, both teams facing each other 4 more times. So far this year the Rangers have the Penguins number, winning 3 of the last 4 games ... Thomas playing a big part in all three wins. If the penguins can't figure out Thomas then they'll have to pick up wins against some tough teams. They face FLA, ANH and NJD for 3 of their remaing 4 games.

TOR (OTT, SJS, BUFx2, PHI, NJD, MTL, CAR)
Can't say I'm not biased here but I'm holding my breath for Toronto to squeek into the playoffs. The Leafs have been pretty mediocre in their last 10 games posting a somewhat average .500 record. That being said the next 7 games for the Leafs won't be easy since they face the red hot Senators, Sabres, Flyers and Devils all 4 of which have win percentages of at least .65 in their last 10.

BOS (NSH, OTTx2, CAR, STL, SJS, DAL, NYI)
There's a good chance that Boston can squeeze their way into the playoffs if they can pull themselves out of the 3-7-0 tailspin they've been in their last 10 games. The news doesn't get easier for the Bruins with some tough games against the Sens, Blues and Stars. So, what's the good news? Their only 3 points back from the 8th spot, a very precarious spot held by the Leafs who have arguably a tougher schedule.

NYR (PITx4, CHI, MTL, EDM, BUF, ATL)
Theres a cinderalla story in the making for the Rangers with both Toronto and Boston facing tough schedules. If the Rags can pick up wins against the Penguins they have a good chance of leepfrogging both teams into the 8th spot. Although the Rangers are 7 points back the rest of their schedule is alot easier with three games against CHI, MTL and ATL versus two tough games against the Sabres and the Oilers. However, if the high offense of the Rangers can't continue to find success against the pens (20 goals in their last 4 games against the Pens) it won't matter how easy the rest of their schedule is.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I don't know if you can say that just yet, I think the finish in the east is going to be pretty close....

NYR (PITx4, CHI, MTL, EDM, BUF, ATL)
Theres a cinderalla story in the making for the Rangers with both Toronto and Boston facing tough schedules. If the Rags can pick up wins against the Penguins they have a good chance of leepfrogging both teams into the 8th spot. Although the Rangers are 7 points back the rest of their schedule is alot easier with three games against CHI, MTL and ATL versus two tough games against the Sabres and the Oilers. However, if the high offense of the Rangers can't continue to find success against the pens (20 goals in their last 4 games against the Pens) it won't matter how easy the rest of their schedule is.

The Rangers are definately in since they have no more game schedule against the cross rival New York Islanders. GO RANGERS GO:thumbu:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Current Standings:
Vancouver 80 8 games left (MINx2, COLx2, DETx2, CGY and TBL)
Minnesota 79 8 games left (VANx2, EDM, NJ, NYI, ANA, STL and DET)
-----------------------
Colorado 76 8 games left (VANx2, BUF, MTL, NSH, NYI, OTT and PHI)
San Jose 74 8 games left (LAx3, PHX, CGY, TOR, BOS, BUF and TBL)

Predicted final Standings:
Colorado 88 (39 wins)
San Jose 87 (40 wins)
--------------
Minnesota 85 (37 wins)
Vancouver 85(36 wins)

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

Yeah, there's still a chance for my team, albeit a slim one. I made that post right after seeing my 8-2 loss to Philly yesterday, so you can understand where my frustration is coming from. :cry:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
FLA (TAMx2, PHI, WASx3, PIT, CHI, OTT)
Something is in the water in florida with the team dropping in the standings on a 3-6-1 record... this looks like a blip though since Florida's facing probably the easiest schedule in the East... especially with 3 games against WAS who has lost all of their last 10 games.

Tell me about it. My team picked probably the second worst time to have it's first big slide of the season (the worst being in the playoffs). Part of it was because Emery had gotten too tired and Osgood just couldn't win a damn game for me. I was losing every night while outshooting teams like 35-20. Pretty sad goaltending. I felt like the NHL's Senators.

But I've got Emery back to a strong IT and I've got some games that I should win coming up. I'm hoping I can real off a good record heading into the postseason and claim 5th in the East over the Sens.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Calgary 83 T (8 left)
Nashville 82 (9 left)
Minnesota 81 W (7 left)
Vancouver 81 T (7 left)
--------------
Colorado 76 (8 left)
San Jose 76 W (7 left)
Jackets 72 (8 left)
Ducks 70 (9 left)

Well, teams 9-12 couldn't have been too happy to see Patrice Bergeron score the overtime winner as the Wild beat the Oilers 3-2. Vancouver also picked up a point in a 2-2 tie with the Flames. The Sharks did manage to beat the Kings, but the lights for the BlueJackets and Ducks are getting dimmer and dimmer.

As we've said before, a must win for the Jackets as they play the Preds and the Ducks have to beat the Oilers to stay alive. The Flames can put some distance between them and the Preds, Wild and Canucks as they host the Thrashers.

Last edited:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Current Standings:
Vancouver 81 7 games left (MINx2, COLx2, DETx2 and TBL)
Minnesota 81 7 games left (VANx2, NJ, NYI, ANA, STL and DET)
-----------------------
Colorado 76 8 games left (VANx2, BUF, MTL, NSH, NYI, OTT and PHI)
San Jose 76 7 games left (LAx2, PHX, CGY, TOR, BOS, BUF and TBL)

Predicted final Standings:
Colorado 88 (39 wins)
San Jose 87 (40 wins)
--------------
Minnesota 87 (38 wins)
Vancouver 86(36 wins)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Hey - Columbus hasn't been eliminated yet!

(Although I grant you it's really just a matter of time - a string of injuries in the last several games hasn't helped my cause any...)

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
The Sharks did manage to beat the Kings, but the lights for the BlueJackets and Ducks are getting dimmer and dimmer.

As we've said before, a must win for the Jackets as they play the Preds and the Ducks have to beat the Oilers to stay alive. The Flames can put some distance between them and the Preds, Wild and Canucks as they host the Thrashers.

Wow, huge day 117... Ducks give up a 3 goal lead to the Oil and the Jackets with a huge shutout against the Preds... and to top it all off the Flames get shutout by the Thrash! These last few games are getting really tight and a lot of fun...

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
As previously noted, huge day in the West. We bid adieu to the Ducks, who essentially dropped out of the chase blowing a 3-0 lead to the Oilers. But those pesky Jackets stay alive with a clearcut 3-0 whitewash of the Preds. Calgary dropped by Atlanta as well, so we now have this:

Calgary 83 L (7 left)
Nashville 82 L (8 left)
Minnesota 81 (7 left)
Vancouver 81 (7 left)
--------
Colorado 76 (8 left)
San Jose 76 (7 left)
Columbus 74 W (7 left)

Tonight, another huge day for both conferences. Columbus tries to continue their run as they visit the top team in the league St Louis. 3 interconference games that will effect both sets of standing will take place with Boston hosting Nashville, the Devils hosting the Wild and Colorado visits the Sabres. Just as important is the Vancouver-Detroit game.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
A very telling night in the HFNHL.

Calgary put a severe crimp in the Sharks postseason hopes with a 2-1 win. But the CBJ continues to hang on by a thread as they took it to the West leading Blues 4-1. Another redhot team, the Colorado Avalanche will not go away, dominating the top team in the east 7-2.

However, not much ground was made up. The Wild, led by well-rested Vesa Toskala in net, shut out the Devils 1-0. That win, coupled with the Preds losing to Boston 3-2, propelled the Wild to 6th in the conference. The Preds are in 7th, tied with the Canucks, who tied the Wings 2-2.

No action in the West tonite, so we all take a collective breath for the final 6 or 7 games.

Calgary 85 W (6 left)
Minnesota 83 W (6 left)
Nashville 82 L (7 left)
Vancouver 82 T (6 left)
-------
Colorado 78 W (7 left)
San Jose 76 L (6 left)
Columbus 76 W (6 left)

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The playoff picture in the west will become clearer today with some big games, none bigger than the 8th place Canucks visiting 9th place Colorado. If the Avs hold home ice, it's going to be going down to the wire, but if Vancouver can pickup the road win, it's going to make things really difficult for the Avs. The Bluejackets have a (surprise) must win game as they host the 1st place Blues. Win or set up a tee time for the CBJ. In other action, the Sharks host the Leafs in a big game in both conferences, the Wild visit the Islanders and the Flames take on the East leading Sabres.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The Bluejackets have a (surprise) must win game as they host the 1st place Blues. Win or set up a tee time for the CBJ.

Looks like we're getting the golf clubs out, but with three more games against Nashville, a sweep could still have us sneaking in if the other contenders split their remaining games.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Atl 4 Nash 2
Toronto 2 SJ 1
Van 4 Colorado 3 (OT)
STL 6 CBJ 3
Buff 4 Calgary 3 (OT)
Minn 5 NYI 1

Colorado was hoping to get at least a point, but Brendan Morrison scored in OT to give the Canucks the 4-3 win and a 5 point gap over the 9th place Avalanche. Similar situation in Calgary as the Sabres scored late in the 3rd and then Patrick Marleau tallied in OT to give the Sabres a 4-3 win. Minnesota took advantage of that with an easy 5-1 win on the Island to creep within 1 point of the Flames for 5th in the conference.

But, it seems the life is just about snuffed out in San Jose and Columbus. But for the sake of hopes and prayers, they remain "on the bubble".

Calgary 86 L (5 to go)
Minnesota 85 W (5 to go)
Vancouver 84 W (5 to go)
Nashville 82 L (6 to go)
------------
Colorado 79 L (6 to go)
San Jose 76 L (5 to go)
Columbus 76 L (5 to go)

Tonight, Minnesota can all but lock up a playoff spot with a win over the Ducks and an Avalanche loss to the Canadians. Vancouver can also give themselves some cushion if they can top the Wings in BC

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
another OT loss in a game that was supposed to be a win.. well it's one point, but I need wins.. luckily the nucks lost and wild tied the ducks. Colorado is now 2 points from the preds who they face next. Colorado also faces the nucks once more this season. The nucks are 4 points ahead and the wild are 6 points ahead. Those two teams will still face eachother twice. It's going to be tight, but the hope still lives

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad