Confirmed with Link: Wild sign SHL defenseman Eric Martinsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
As I said in another thread. Odd to sign a LD unless he can play his offhand side.

This really is a head scratcher without a GM in place. I know nothing about his game so dunno, maybe he'll challenge for a roster spot. :dunno:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As I said in another thread. Odd to sign a LD unless he can play his offhand side.

This really is a head scratcher without a GM in place. I know nothing about his game so dunno, maybe he'll challenge for a roster spot. :dunno:
I'd assume this means Olofsson and his 1-way contract are gone for a draft pick at some point this summer, if that wasn't already a foregone conclusion.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Iowa LHD options, under contract, pre-signing: Seeler and Soucy.

I think we're all assuming that Seeler will be on the NHL club, so there is definitely a hole there. Palmquist, Labbe and Loov are options as well, but not under contract.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd assume this means Olofsson and his 1-way contract are gone for a draft pick at some point this summer, if that wasn't already a foregone conclusion.

I'd keep him around through camp. Makes only $725k and it doesn't just hand a spot to Seeler or Soucy.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Iowa LHD options, under contract, pre-signing: Seeler and Soucy.

I think we're all assuming that Seeler will be on the NHL club, so there is definitely a hole there. Palmquist, Labbe and Loov are options as well, but not under contract.

Actually Seeler is a RFA and needs a new contract. I am thinking Olofsson or Seeler will be on the opening night roster.

I wonder if Martinsson has a physical aspect to his game?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Actually Seeler is a RFA and needs a new contract. I am thinking Olofsson or Seeler will be on the opening night roster.

I wonder if Martinsson has a physical aspect to his game?

Yeah, I worded it a bit wrong, but I have it as a 99.9% certainty that he's re-signed, where guys like Palmquist etc... are 50/50 at best.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well this signing is already better than the Quincey signing last year. So he has that going for him.

Reactions: Bazeek

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Is there anybody here that follows this league that can give us more information on him?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting. Puts up pretty decent points for the SHL and is just reaching prime years. This last offseason he put up 11 points in 13 games. Wow! Looking at his playoff history, he's always been a big performer that time of year, offensively. I don't post this to say "we got an awesome offensive defender!" or anything like that, I'm just noting that he's been very good at the pro level, and must have some skill. 2 way deal means it's safe from a financial aspect. I have no problem with the Wild taking a flyer on a guy like this.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Kind of a weird connection but the Oilers signed two guys from his former USHL team in the last year: Nick Ellis and Joe Gambardella.

I have to agree, I like this. And I'm serious that I think Brent Flahr should keep the GM role this season. What is there to lose - if he's drafted well, let us see what he can add over the next year. The bigger decisions about the franchise are going to be collaborative and they're going to take place in large part above GM level.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
he is very much like jonas brodin in terms of playing style

Interesting. Very. Of course, we can only watch the stats as not many posters here follow SHL. But, Brodin has not been known as an offensive force during his time in Minnesota. Granted, he does have good two-way game, is intelligent, very mobile, and seems like a good passer.

But, from my knowledge, SHL isn't an easy league to score points in, hence why his stats raise an eyebrow. How is his shot? Is he more of a PP QB type of player in terms of points scoring, as well as the occasional long pass for a primary/secondary assist, or does he actually carry the puck to the zone himself and blast from there?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Interesting. Very. Of course, we can only watch the stats as not many posters here follow SHL. But, Brodin has not been known as an offensive force during his time in Minnesota. Granted, he does have good two-way game, is intelligent, very mobile, and seems like a good passer.

But, from my knowledge, SHL isn't an easy league to score points in, hence why his stats raise an eyebrow. How is his shot? Is he more of a PP QB type of player in terms of points scoring, as well as the occasional long pass for a primary/secondary assist, or does he actually carry the puck to the zone himself and blast from there?

he carry the puck himself but also makes good passes. his shot is decent. there is plenty of dmans in shl who produces alot of points, but martinsson does not, he is not a point producer.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Another article.

Bit longer this time. From a brief look, and my rudimentary (very) Swedish, there's nothing groundbreaking. Martinsson has apparently been more of a playmaker in the past, but these days he is more of a two-way defenseman (as mentioned in the other thread). When asked about the challenges of the NHL, he mentioned that he needs to get faster and stronger, because of the pace difference between SHL and NHL. Also, mentioned how he thinks his hockey IQ is good enough, which wouldn't come as a total surprise all things considered.

There was also a mention of Minnesota having a very good defense (Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Dumba were mentioned). Martinsson admitted that it is going to be tough to make the NHL squad, but not impossible. He said he has played with NHL players in the past, and while they were very skilled, he said he could hang with them due to his intelligent style.

At the end, there is a tidbit about how his USHL team (Des Moines Buccaneers) is based in the same city as Minnesota's AHL affiliate, so he is familiar with that from the past. "It's a smaller city. I had a great year there, and having that experience helps going forward. It is easier to move over now that I am not completely new to the American culture and their ways."

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Another article.

Bit longer this time. From a brief look, and my rudimentary (very) Swedish, there's nothing groundbreaking. Martinsson has apparently been more of a playmaker in the past, but these days he is more of a two-way defenseman (as mentioned in the other thread). When asked about the challenges of the NHL, he mentioned that he needs to get faster and stronger, because of the pace difference between SHL and NHL. Also, mentioned how he thinks his hockey IQ is good enough, which wouldn't come as a total surprise all things considered.

There was also a mention of Minnesota having a very good defense (Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Dumba were mentioned). Martinsson admitted that it is going to be tough to make the NHL squad, but not impossible. He said he has played with NHL players in the past, and while they were very skilled, he said he could hang with them due to his intelligent style.

At the end, there is a tidbit about how his USHL team (Des Moines Buccaneers) is based in the same city as Minnesota's AHL affiliate, so he is familiar with that from the past. "It's a smaller city. I had a great year there, and having that experience helps going forward. It is easier to move over now that I am not completely new to the American culture and their ways."
All signs point toward him starting in Iowa then, unless he blows them away in camp or we're down a defenseman to start the season. Not impossible.

I hope he sticks around though, because this year was a good example of how quickly big opportunities can present themselves even in areas of apparent depth. I don't think anyone was penciling Seeler into 2018-19's line-up last October.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

That should make it an easier transition back to NA hockey a little easier on him. He should know at least a couple of people, and how to get around the city. It's much better than coming into a situation alone and lost.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
All signs point toward him starting in Iowa then, unless he blows them away in camp or we're down a defenseman to start the season. Not impossible.

I hope he sticks around though, because this year was a good example of how quickly big opportunities can present themselves even in areas of apparent depth. I don't think anyone was penciling Seeler into 2018-19's line-up last October.

Indeed. There is going to be even more competition now, especially for that 3rd pairing LD slot. But, ultimately, AHL is not a bad destination for him at all to start with. We'll see how he does in the camp and pre-season, and work from there. I have certain expectations to his style of play based on what others have said and described him as. Of course, that transition from SHL to AHL/NHL can be quite drastic - perhaps not as much skill-wise as with timing and sheer pace of the game. Less room to work with, more physicality, so on. But I do find it a good sign that he seems to have a decent idea of what he's supposed to do in order to improve his game, and even mentioned having a good hockey IQ. Those are all assets that will help him improve going forward.

All in all, it's a really no risk, medium reward -signing. At worst, he takes up a contract spot for two years and plays mediocre hockey in Iowa. At best, he plays well in Iowa and challenges for a roster spot in Minnesota. I like it.

Reactions: Bazeek

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I know Seeler was fairly impressive during his time in the NHL, but I'd prefer it if the #3 LD spot was a true open competition.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know Seeler was fairly impressive during his time in the NHL, but I'd prefer it if the #3 LD spot was a true open competition.
Agreed, and I assume it will be. I was thinking more in terms of how the Wild sold him on signing here when he'd face less competition for an NHL spot on other teams. If he felt like his chances of playing in the AHL were pretty high regardless, it makes sense to sign with the team that would send him to a familiar area.

But yeah, this team needs more healthy competition for bottom-pairing/bottom-6 spots in general.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
wonder if he can play RD.

Ah, i see. another 6'1" LH Swedish Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad