Confirmed with Link: Wild sign J.T. Brown ( 2 years, 687.5K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Even though he was signed to a 2 year deal, I never thought he was a lock to come back next season anyways...this arrest certainly doesn't help his cause.

Reactions: BigT2002

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Voiding contract should not be an option.

Don't just throw the player onto the streets, if it is an abuse issue, get him help.

If it is a behavior issue, get him help.

Reactions: Minnesota

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Going out the night before a game shouldn't be an issue. Being out until 2 AM and getting drunk enough to get arrested certainly is.

Maybe I'm assuming incorrectly, but I don't think that guys in their 20's are going to places like New York City on road trips and are going to bed at 9:30.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe I'm assuming incorrectly, but I don't think that guys in their 20's are going to places like New York City on road trips and are going to bed at 9:30.
No not at all. But there is quite a difference between 9:30 PM and 2:30 AM, and there's never a good time to actually get arrested.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No not at all. But there is quite a difference between 9:30 PM and 2:30 AM, and there's never a good time to actually get arrested.

Which is why I tried to separate those two things at least a little bit. As far as I know, it isn't actually known what he did besides being drunk in public. That can be a pretty wide spectrum from stumbling a little bit to punching police horses. I'd like to know more about what end of the spectrum he fell on.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Voiding contract should not be an option.

Don't just throw the player onto the streets, if it is an abuse issue, get him help.

If it is a behavior issue, get him help.

JT Brown is contracted to play hockey. He got himself into a situation where he was unable to render the services he is under contract for due to choices he made. That's a breach of contract, and Fenton should void it with cause under Section 14 of the standard player contract.

The rest is just noise. He can get all the "help" he wants, and doesn't change that he broke his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: 907campbell

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Which is why I tried to separate those two things at least a little bit. As far as I know, it isn't actually known what he did besides being drunk in public. That can be a pretty wide spectrum from stumbling a little bit to punching police horses. I'd like to know more about what end of the spectrum he fell on.
I would bet that he was asked to leave whatever bar he was at and was drunk enough to decide that he didn't want to do that. Then the police were called to persuade him to leave and he still didn't want to go. The fact that he wasn't charged with any kind of assault or resisting, most likely means that he probably wasn't causing any real trouble.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
wow, pretty harsh. Unless JT has a history of missing games , meetings, or simply being a jackass, then firing him because of missing one meaningless game?

Different story if he is assaulting someone or driving drunk. Simply discipline him with a suspension, and move on.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
JT Brown is contracted to play hockey. He got himself into a situation where he was unable to render the services he is under contract for due to choices he made. That's a breach of contract, and Fenton should void it with cause under Section 14 of the standard player contract.

The rest is just noise. He can get all the "help" he wants, and doesn't change that he broke his contract.

The Wild shouldn't do that. Players are human. It was a tough year for JT and the Wild. I hope he can get things figured out.
At least the man didn't get behind the wheel of a car with his kid and drive across town in rush hour traffic. (Oh, and laugh during his sobriety test)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Is it ok to cut him loose for no other reason than he's a marginal hockey player at best?
Can't really "cut him loose". Still have to pay him. I would guess he ends up like Quincey, where they pay him to stay home next year.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Wild shouldn't do that. Players are human. It was a tough year for JT and the Wild. I hope he can get things figured out.
At least the man didn't get behind the wheel of a car with his kid and drive across town in rush hour traffic. (Oh, and laugh during his sobriety test)

To be blunt, who cares. He's a poor hockey player, who broke his contract. If the Wild can get out of the deal, they should.

Who knows how the eventual arbitration would come out, but by the letter of his contract the Wild would be within their rights to terminate.

Reactions: 907campbell

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If this isn't normal behavior (as in he's not regularly getting blasted drunk on nights before games), and the arrest is just due to getting kicked out of a bar or something minor.... I'm not in favor of kicking him to the street.

The Wild season was basically done, the entire roster knew that and had pretty much checked out ON the ice the moment they were eliminated officially.

So imo it really depends on what the arrest was really for. It makes a difference on translating the seriousness of the issue.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If this isn't normal behavior (as in he's not regularly getting blasted drunk on nights before games), and the arrest is just due to getting kicked out of a bar or something minor.... I'm not in favor of kicking him to the street.

The Wild season was basically done, the entire roster knew that and had pretty much checked out ON the ice the moment they were eliminated officially.

So imo it really depends on what the arrest was really for. It makes a difference on translating the seriousness of the issue.

If your a fringe NHLer, like Brown is, there are no off days. Every game is an opportunity to show you belong in the NHL.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
If your a fringe NHLer, like Brown is, there are no off days. Every game is an opportunity to show you belong in the NHL.
B.S.
Almost every NHL player is out the night before a ROAD game partying in some way,shape or form.
It's a common practice

Getting arrested is a different situation,

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Get things figured out? I'm sorry, but the guy is 28 years old. He is doing what 28 year old single males do in the United States...partying. Regardless of his ability, he is within the 1% of income in this country -- he was also in a city that is notorious for having a great night scene. I think some of you are overblowing this as if it is a cry for help. He is doing what literally millions of guys do on the weekend...enjoying life.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm aware that Brown is under contract for another year, but has his play on the ice justified bringing him back? It's not like it would be a major cap hit if we released him.

IMO, his arrest in Dallas is irrelevant.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm aware that Brown is under contract for another year, but has his play on the ice justified bringing him back? It's not like it would be a major cap hit if we released him.

He won't, or at least, shouldn't be back on the Wild roster. Can't imagine that they want him in Iowa either.

Reactions: BigT2002

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Which was my exact point from the other day. He literally was riding the Prosser Presser or playing in Iowa. What in the world was he bringing to this team to even want him back here to begin with? Because he played for UMD and won a National Championship? Plays Fortnite?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Get things figured out? I'm sorry, but the guy is 28 years old. He is doing what 28 year old single males do in the United States...partying. Regardless of his ability, he is within the 1% of income in this country -- he was also in a city that is notorious for having a great night scene. I think some of you are overblowing this as if it is a cry for help. He is doing what literally millions of guys do on the weekend...enjoying life.
JT is married, with kids, I think. Alcohol and hockey players have a long and storied history. All that has happened here is that Brown got caught...either he was making a real ass of himself, or this (I hate to bring it up, but..) had something to do with race, also. He raised a fist in salute a couple of times at games in 2017 as a protest against police brutality. It's possible that the cops knew about this and decided to embarrass him. Seems unlikely. I mean, how many Dallas cops follow TBL hockey?

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
JT is married, with kids, I think. Alcohol and hockey players have a long and storied history. All that has happened here is that Brown got caught...either he was making a real ass of himself, or this (I hate to bring it up, but..) had something to do with race, also. He raised a fist in salute a couple of times at games in 2017 as a protest against police brutality. It's possible that the cops knew about this and decided to embarrass him. Seems unlikely. I mean, how many Dallas cops follow TBL hockey?

In all likelihood this is going to end up being a story (if we even get it) where JT Brown did some jackassery that got him kicked out of the bar and he started yelling that he was a pro athlete. Makes a scene, cops get called. The odds this was racial or even a "backlash" for his fist in the air 2 years ago is about as likely as you and I winning the Powerball together.

This guy is a nobody outside of MN. And even people in this state could run right into him at the mall and not even bat an eye. To think some local cop in a state not even remotely close to us is going to recognize him, that would be

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Doesn't matter about his minutes and production, he is a human being.

Would you like it if your employer fires you for coming in hung over?

Damn,

Reactions: a79krgm

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Doesn't matter about his minutes and production, he is a human being.

Would you like it if your employer fires you for coming in hung over?

Damn,

Uh ya. I have worked for two different employers who had that exact policy in place. Hungover? Stay home. You're useless anyways at the office and no one wants to listen to you moan about your headache.

DUI/Arrested = you should probably start updating your resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad