Prospect Info: Wild sign Grayson Downing (2 Years | Iowa-bound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
I've religiously followed UNH hockey for the last 25 years - I love Grayson Downing. I'm not going to make any predictions on a pro-career, but as far as an NCAA free agent signing, I think this is a GREAT one for the Minnesota Wild (zero risk, high reward).

UNH is well known for turning out top-end forwards. Unfortunately, the offensive talent to come through Durham the last four years has been incredibly disappointing. The coaches have not recruited well recently and the top recruits they did land, for the most part, never made it to campus.

Except for Downing. If he plays at UNH 5-10 years ago, with the talent the program is known for producing at forward, he blows away 112 points in 144 games and is likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-175. He would have received MUCH more acclaim in terms of conference and national awards and attention and signing him to an NHL free-agent deal would have been an absolute battle...

He is not only the best forward on his own college team this year - he's one of the best in Hockey East and nationally. Over the course of his UNH career he has had to create and generate offense almost by himself. In the last four years, UNH has had very few truly talented forwards and Downing VERY rarely played with any those more talented players. UNH always counted on Downing's ability to balance the scoring, understanding that he could do so much individually and, with the help of lesser skilled forwards give UNH two dependable scoring lines...

The kid has a great stick, a great shot, can carry and handle the puck and is always in the right spot offensively. He works hard, gets to the net and was one of UNH's two-best defensive forwards and the best penalty-killer. He can contribute in so many different ways...

He's not a burner or a guy with super smooth mitts - but when he wants to keep the puck, its awful hard to get it away from him and when he wants to get somewhere on the ice, its awful hard to keep him from doing soo...

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Here's a quote from Mark Dennehey, an opposing head coach in Hockey East. It won't tell you a lot about Downing's game, but it should tell you that he is A LOT more than simply the top scorer on a mediocre team...

“We’re not a team that necessarily has a nuclear weapon. Grayson Downing can change the momentum of a game by himself when he gets the puck.â€

Now, WHY the University of New Hampshire has been SO mediocre lately is a much bigger question in its own right...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
True, but it's still not an ECHL team which can only roll THREE lines. It says a lot more to go straight to the AHL I think, even if Iowa is atrocious.

College Free agents like this usually either go straight to the NHL (See Folin) or go to the AHL (see Fontaine).

Very rarely does a team sign a player to send them to the ECHL at this time of year.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Here's a quote from Mark Dennehey, an opposing head coach in Hockey East. It won't tell you a lot about Downing's game, but it should tell you that he is A LOT more than simply the top scorer on a mediocre team...

“We’re not a team that necessarily has a nuclear weapon. Grayson Downing can change the momentum of a game by himself when he gets the puck.â€

Now, WHY the University of New Hampshire has been SO mediocre lately is a much bigger question in its own right...

Thanks for the info! Good stuff! Certainly no risk - decent reward here, so great signing.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for the insight!

Does Downing play mostly on the wing or does he play some center too?

He played both positions early in his UNH career, but almost exclusively center the last two years. He's pretty responsible on both ends of the ice - I believe he led UNH with a +15 or so this season...

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
He played both positions early in his UNH career, but almost exclusively center the last two years. He's pretty responsible on both ends of the ice - I believe he led UNH with a +15 or so this season...

Great to hear, we need all the C depth and prospects we can get. Hopefully one of them will pan out in the future as a top-6 C.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Bump. What s the story on this guy and can he replace Porter next year for 4th line wing? Weak skill player or can he forecheck and hit too?

6+6 in 13 games is not bad at all, twice the scoring speed of Keranen. Schroeder is only 4+4 in 12 games.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Seems to be producing at a decent clip (16 points in 18 games). Slightly undersized at 6'. Could be a possible Fontaine/Porter replacement.

Not sure about his abilities (PK, PP, etc.)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Bump. What s the story on this guy and can he replace Porter next year for 4th line wing? Weak skill player or can he forecheck and hit too?

6+6 in 13 games is not bad at all, twice the scoring speed of Keranen. Schroeder is only 4+4 in 12 games.

No point in him bumping Porter. Keep him in Iowa until he forces something in the top 9 (if it happens).

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Downing seems to be having a great year in the games he's played.
Three goals in his last three games (5 in his last 7)

16 points (10 goals) in 18 games played this season.

Remarkably, in games he's played he gets a point on roughly 42% of the team's goals which I believe currently leads the AHL!

Looks like you may have a hidden gem

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa prospect hype... Kind of sad that NCAA free agent is 50% of our Iowa forward prospect pool.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Iowa prospect hype... Kind of sad that NCAA free agent is 50% of our Iowa forward prospect pool.

how many times does it need be said that all of the wild top prospects are in college or Europe?They have the wild have three prospects playing in the wjc right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad