Confirmed with Link: Wild Sign Goaltender Mat Robson from the U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
Pronman did a little writeup on him with his Top Free agents from college, CHL, and Europe. He was ranked #7 on that list behind one other goalie. So this could mean next year it'll be between Kahkonen and Robson battling it out for starts in the AHL, while Dubnyk and Stalock hold the fort in the NHL.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Why is he on wild roster not iowa? we need someone to make popcorn after prosser went to iowa?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
maybe they want to see if he is better than stalock?
But he's not eligible for the playoffs. There's a good chance Dubnyk starts every game the rest of the way, but if any backup gets a game, you'd figure you'd start the guy who may have to play in the playoffs. If they make it.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
But he's not eligible for the playoffs. There's a good chance Dubnyk starts every game the rest of the way, but if any backup gets a game, you'd figure you'd start the guy who may have to play in the playoffs. If they make it.
idk sir i was trying to wrap my head around it. maybe the misquoted and he is actually going to iowa? or maybe he is in the emergency call up category like read? who knows.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Why is he on wild roster not iowa? we need someone to make popcorn after prosser went to iowa?
Part of the negotiation most likely. 10 games/3 weeks is roughly 1/10th of his salary. In the NHL thats probably close to $100K. If he was in Iowa its about $7K.

Reactions: nstarjim

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Reasons to keep him in the NHL:
-Goalie waivers work different than skater waivers for term. He has 4 years/60 games of waivers exemption.
-Money. A league min player makes ~$3.5k/day and a max ELC makes ~$5k a day in the NHL. An ELC in the AHL makes $70k/season. This could have been a big selling point for him signing in MN as a college FA.
-Callup rules post TDL. Read is being used (daily) as an emergency callup so MN doesn't burn their last (standard) callup option.
-Use him in practices (let Dub so whatever he wants/needs but no extra work).
-Having a 3rd goalie in case something happens to Dub/Stalock. Iowa is in their own Playoff race (AHL schedule is heavy on back-to-backs). So why mess with their team by calling Hammond/KK up to sit on the bench as the backup in MN?
-It doesn't hurt anything: there isn't a cap crunch this year; he's not taking ice time or a roster spot away from anyone; he doesn't have to move, get settled in, live in a hotel, etc.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

There's literally a back to back this week. It'll be interesting to see if they go with Stalock or give this kid a shot right out of the gate.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
There's literally a back to back this week. It'll be interesting to see if they go with Stalock or give this kid a shot right out of the gate.
Dubnyk has done them all at the end of the year in the past and they clearly don't trust Stalock.

My point was they'd probably still play Stalock over the kid because he's the playoff backup.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I actually really like this signing. I think he's a really good goalie and he won't be able to bail out the gophers anymore!
He made the Gophers record look respectable, when in reality they were a crap team until the last month or so of the season.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He's a good goalie and the first Gopher in a long time that I've felt could get decent NHL minutes, but you don't throw him out there when you're still in the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->