GDT: Wild @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST - 2/22/19

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Abby getting choked out by Suter without a word or a push back is the epitome of his season. This guy does not give a **** anymore about hockey if you ask me. He's dogging it.

I have a buddy who thinks it is because he had his first kid. Of course he claims Abby plays better on the road so not sure how seriously I can take that since for me he has been abysmal all year. But it was an interesting thought in terms of you forget normal things that happen to some of these guys.

Abdelkader hasn't been very good since the World Cup of hockey and for me has been a lot worse this year than even last and that was unacceptable. He has a lot of soul searching to do. I don't think he is going to see out this contract either by CBA compliance buyout or just regular, this thing is heading for a pretty ugly ending at this point.

Reactions: Grimm

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Going back to that Bowey interview, at least he didn't sound nearly as vapid as Brendan Smith. He seems to know what he's getting into, and what he needs to do to help.

Here's hoping he can develop a little.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Felt like the entire team was playing at the speed of Minnesota tonight. This team has to play much, much faster if they want to compete and win

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
I have a buddy who thinks it is because he had his first kid. Of course he claims Abby plays better on the road so not sure how seriously I can take that since for me he has been abysmal all year. But it was an interesting thought in terms of you forget normal things that happen to some of these guys.

Abdelkader hasn't been very good since the World Cup of hockey and for me has been a lot worse this year than even last and that was unacceptable. He has a lot of soul searching to do. I don't think he is going to see out this contract either by CBA compliance buyout or just regular, this thing is heading for a pretty ugly ending at this point.

I actually think it's part of it. Married, new child, he had his face busted by Brouwer. He's literally done putting his body out there. Which I can accept because I want him to lead a safe healthy life, but he's gotta replace his grit and toughness and fire with skill. Which isn't happening. He's not only unless for scoring but now he's lifeless too. Have you seen the guy throw a big check all year??? And the fact this happens in a contract like his? Not cool. He played the Wings IMO.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
We lost, the kids looked good and it appears that Gus made it out in one piece. I’ll take it.

But let’s maybe not play Gus on Sunday.

Reactions: ZDH

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Everyone knew the contract was **** at the time, but my god, the Abby being trotted out every night is the Abby I thought we were going to start seeing in like year 5 of the deal.

Absolutely. I used to defend Abby, that last playoff series against Tampa he was one of the only players that had a pulse. Can’t defend him anymore, Abdelkader doesn’t deserve his roster spot. Almost at a loss of words regarding how far his game has slipped, Abby can’t even be relied upon as a physical 4th line winger anymore.

TZE is right, there is a buyout coming up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Everyone knew the contract was **** at the time, but my god, the Abby being trotted out every night is the Abby I thought we were going to start seeing in like year 5 of the deal.

Honestly I liked Abdelkader a decent amount when he was younger. But, we haven't seen that guy for a couple seasons and again I have to say this is what I thought year 6 and 7 would be perhaps, but this is so much earlier into it. I know we have to wait to see what is decided in terms of the CBA plus needing to burn a couple more years off the contract but man alive we are going to have to buy him out or LTIR him Clarkson style here as soon as we can get Franzen and Zetterberg off the books.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Absolutely. I used to defend Abby, that last playoff series against Tampa he was one of the only players that had a pulse. Can’t defend him anymore, Abdelkader doesn’t deserve his roster spot. Almost at a loss of words regarding how far his game has slipped, Abby can’t even be relied upon as a physical 4th line winger anymore.

TZE is right, there is a buyout coming up.

I'd have to think they'd let him go at least to the Expansion Draft... if he doesn't get taken there, definitely a buyout candidate. Giving him a year or two (or whatever because maths) will not only give him a chance to round into some kind of form, but lessen the buyout implications as well.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Honestly I liked Abdelkader a decent amount when he was younger. But, we haven't seen that guy for a couple seasons and again I have to say this is what I thought year 6 and 7 would be perhaps, but man alive we are this early into it. I know we have to wait to see what is decided in terms of the CBA plus needing to burn a couple more years off the contract but man alive we are going to have to buy him out or LTIR him Clarkson style here as soon as we can get Franzen and Zetterberg off the books.
The only time I've wanted him in the lineup was SCF 09 when he got scratched over Cleary. Other than that he is been probably the worst contract in the league for his production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->