Speculation: Wild Powerplay Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Hollow point pucks.

Or, convince the power play coach that the other team being short-handed does not make them a t-rex, whose vision is based on movement.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
I always thought Brodin looked excellent on the pp in the limited time he had.

Parise - Koviu - Granlund
Brodin - Spurgeon

Nino - Haula - Pominville
Suter - Fontaine

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not at all that simple. The players are stationary, passing to other stationary players. Shooting more will just cause more blocked shots and likely cause the opposition to get more zone exits and short handed chances.

The players need to move their feet and cause the opposition to break down before shooting.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I wonder whatever happened to that back-door one-timer to Spurgeon that we used to run? That was at least somewhat creative.

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Not at all that simple. The players are stationary, passing to other stationary players. Shooting more will just cause more blocked shots and likely cause the opposition to get more zone exits and short handed chances.

The players need to move their feet and cause the opposition to break down before shooting.

Every other team seems to use the "shoot for effect" tactic...The resulting chaos from pucks hitting players seems to break down defenses quite well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
To shoot for effect, you still need to be moving your feet yo get the puck through... we can't shoot for effect because the first layer of the box always blocks the shot.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
To shoot for effect, you still need to be moving your feet yo get the puck through... we can't shoot for effect because the first layer of the box always blocks the shot.

This. It's why I'm always confused when people get super excited about a guy with a huge shot. Getting it on net is way more important.

Watch Detroit in their heyday with Lindstrom and Rafalski on the points. That's how you run an umbrella. I understand they were both world class players, but the way they got pucks to the net was everything. They didn't worry about shot quality, they just got it to the net. And Detroit scored...a lot.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
This. It's why I'm always confused when people get super excited about a guy with a huge shot. Getting it on net is way more important.

Watch Detroit in their heyday with Lindstrom and Rafalski on the points. That's how you run an umbrella. I understand they were both world class players, but the way they got pucks to the net was everything. They didn't worry about shot quality, they just got it to the net. And Detroit scored...a lot.

Yup. Also helps though they had one of the greatest goalie screeners in the history of the league. This team likes to just pass it around and wait for someone with a shooting lane to take it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Weber and Chara are pretty damn good blasting away from the point. Agree that it can't be mindless, you have to pick your spots. We seem to spread out so much on our PP that we don't have enough traffic in front of the net when a shot does come in.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Changing the angle on the shot is essential. That's why some of the best scorers (like Ovechkin) drag the shots before shooting. Same thing we saw with Granlund and Spurgeon on a lot of their attempts.

That's something that Ballard brought to the table, and Burns back in the day. Dumba is supposed to be good at this as well, but he's a ways off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad