GDT: Wild@Leafs 2PM SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The good news is we just matched the shot totals of the last game they played against the wild. The bad news is that they are not winning

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
There is most certainly something off with him lately. He's still quietly putting up some points. But there is definitely something wrong. A lot of leaf fans here are simply unwilling to accept reality.

I have to agree on this. You look at him during the start of the year (shooting % or not) his body language, shooting, skating, just everything looks off.

Not that I am an expert, but I played sports for a long time, and pretty high level, and I still power lift competitively, and he needs to talk to his strength and conditioning guys, figure out how to get stronger (in his weak areas) I hope it's just random and acute, and not something chronic.

In saying all that, the team needs to also make an effort in defensive positioning.

Reactions: frizzer1

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm all for letting our first PP play most of the time, but we gotta work Nylander in there in that case. He's legitimately been one of the best PP guys in the league in previous years. Not using him would be a waste. Marner is better so he can't have his usual spot, but somewhere. On the left with Matthews in the high slot?

They need to take Kadri off of the first unit, he's being wasted and barely touches the puck on the first unit. I'm not sure replacing him with Nylander wouldn't just lead to Nylander being the one wasted though. Maybe Matthews creates enough room in the high slot that it's not a waste?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Yea let’s take the defenseman with over a PPG off the power play. Do you ever think about what you say before you post?
No need to get emotional, he isnt is effective on pp1. Dont kid yourself it isnt too hard to pick up secondary assists on it...

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
as i've said. several times - if we are picking a younger goaltender - I would want a younger goaltender whom we're grooming to take over Andersen one day. I don't think Sparks is that person.

Thus. I would have stuck with Mcbackup and then got another vet backup next year. most goalie experts don't believe Sparks is going to be a #1 goaltender when it's all said and done - so I guess i just don't care that he's been in the system that long. he's a goalie. goalies bounce all over the place. I would rather a vet than a rookie. next year i'd rather a vet than a sophmore. it would be one thing if we were cultivating him to be the #1 (eventually) but i simply don't think it's the case. so again - for me - it's not being "against" him (Because he's winning and that's all i care about with the backup at the end of the day), he's a leaf so i want him to do well but as I've stated. I'm not confident with him in net, and I think at the end of the day was not the right the decision for the the team. but it is what it is. like i said. if i am wrong and i hope i am, i'll admit it.
Yeah and that's fair, everyone has a different opinion. I'm still on the side of Sparks being the right pick until time passes and we can see what has taken place but given what Dubas knew at the time, I would have also gone with Sparks. I believe a backup position is great for a rookie since Freddie is our vet. Either way, a backup goalie isn't really going to be the deciding factor between success and failure, so it's basically a moot point.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Of course not a mention of how our forwards just let the scorer skate away from them and get an empty net. I mean, absolutely correct that he should have had Staal tied up. The rest has nothing to do with him though, and that's where things went bad.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I hope child-Babcock tears a strip off the team during the intermission.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
No need to get emotional, he isnt is effective on pp1. Dont kid yourself it isnt too hard to pick up secondary assists on it...

He's great on the power play and has setup and scored some great goals on it as well. He's tied for the lead in PP points and you think he's the problem?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Can someone tell that kid coaching to remind the Leafs that they need some sort of decent defensive zone coverage? It's usually not good with this team, but today it is just horrific.

So,who's fault is that?
Can a coach put in a system that helps a group of below average defenders ?( except for Rielly and Dermott)
If not ,what the heck do coaches do, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad