Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
$_20.JPG

GAME DAY: Wild at Maple Leafs
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
GAME DAY: Wild at Maple Leafs

MINNESOTA WILD (18-17-3) at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (26-11-2)
2 p.m., Scotiabank Arena, SNO, The Fan 590
BIG MATCHUP
Eric Staal vs. Auston Matthews

Now in his third season with the Wild, Eric Staal has 25 points in 37 games and continues to enjoy a resurgence to an extent after his career hit the skids in a brief tenure with the New York Rangers in 2015-16. Staal used to light up the Leafs during his Carolina Hurricanes days, and has 51 points in 46 career games versus Toronto. Whether it’s on the shoulders of Auston Matthews or John Tavares, the Leafs centres will have to remind themselves that the crafty Staal remains capable.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Defusing Sparks

Garret Sparks will make his fourth consecutive start in goal, the most action he has seen in a short span since helping to lead the Toronto Marlies to an AHL title last spring. Leafs coach Mike Babcock wants to ensure that Sparks is settled throughout the game, not in spurts.
“He made a lot of good saves against the Islanders (last Saturday),” Babcock said. “I thought when the fourth goal went in, he got rattled for a bit. There is no sense getting rattled. It’s (concentrating on) the next shot.”
2. Rest time is over
The Leafs want to start off the New Year properly in a month of January that has a favourable schedule, and playing with proper structure and effort from the opening faceoff would put them in the right direction. It’s the first of seven home games in the month, with just three on the road. “With the number of days off (the team has had), I would like to think we’re excited to get back at it with a pretty good schedule ahead of us,” centre John Tavares said.
3. Evening out
While special teams have the potential to influence the outcome in any NHL game, they might not be a large factor. The Leafs have had 105 power plays, second-fewest in the league entering games on Wednesday, while the Wild was not much better with 112. At five on five, the Leafs have 100 goals for and 72 against; the Wild has 70 for and 72 against. The Leafs’ talent has a chance to outshine the group that Minnesota will ice.
4. A Wild run
Minnesota arrives in Toronto trying to put a difficult month of December firmly in the past. Staring with a loss on Dec. 1 at home against the Leafs, the Wild went 4-8-1 and has scored just 10 goals in its past seven games. “I don’t really care if you’re positive or frustrated, whatever gets you going,” Wild captain Mikko Koivu said on Wednesday. “At the end, it’s the work ethic that gets you through it individually and as a team. It’s all about that.”
5. Long memories?
Despite losing to the Leafs just over a month ago, the Wild was the better team in St. Paul, limiting the Leafs to 23 shots on goal, tied for the second-fewest Toronto has had in a game this season. The Leafs were opportunistic with five goals, and know they will have to fight for each inch. “They’re a really good team defensively, they don’t give you much space,” Leafs centre Auston Matthews said. “They just stay above you the whole night.”
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW

Connor Brown-John Tavares-Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Kasperi Kapanen
Par Lindholm-Frederik Gauthier-Trevor Moore
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Igor Ozhiganov
Goaltenders
Garret Sparks
Michael Hutchinson/Kasimir Kaskisuo
WILD LINES
LW-C-RW

Jason Zucker-Eric Staal-Mikael Granlund
Zach Parise-Charlie Coyle-Luke Kunin
Jordan Greenway-Mikko Koivu-Nino Niederreiter
Marcus Foligno-Eric Fehr-Matt Hendricks
Defence pairs
Ryan Suter-Jared Spurgeon
Jonas Brodin-Greg Pateryn
Nate Prosser-Ryan Murphy
Goaltenders
Devan Dubnyk
Alex Stalock
INJURIES
Wild — D Mathew Dumba (pectoral), D Nick Seeler (upper body).
Maple Leafs — G Frederik Andersen (groin), LW Zach Hyman (ankle), F Tyler Ennis (ankle).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Wild: 23.2% (10th)
Maple Leafs: 23.8% (7th)
Penalty kill
Wild: 83.9% (3rd)
Maple Leafs: 79.6% (16th)

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Leafs would be wise to start on time and score first and get Hutch some breathing room.

If they fall behind it could lead to Kitty bar the door firewagon hockey.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I know!
Let’s ban booze from every game!
The crowd is into the game and not that rediclousoy gorgeous server making drinks with crushed ice you would think it is snow!
Get the Children of the Suits in before they have fun educated out of them, it will not be the same!

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Hey everybody. I'm starting up fundraising for the Andersen's Groin Fund. Groins all over the league suffer every day needlessly. You can make a difference! Any amount you can give will help, even just a few dollars.

Together, lets make a difference!

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why are we playing at 2pm? I'll be getting a haircut during the 2nd period lol.

Seriously what a weird start time. My own fault for not looking at the schedule I guess.

Who schedules a haircut? Nevertheless, why won’t your barber have the game on?

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Hey everybody. I'm starting up fundraising for the Andersen's Groin Fund. Groins all over the league suffer every day needlessly. You can make a difference! Any amount you can give will help, even just a few dollars.

Together, lets make a difference!

And wikipedia thinks I'm going to donate 3 bucks when there's pressing issues like this in the world. You got my money bud.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Who schedules a haircut? Nevertheless, why won’t your barber have the game on?

I do. Same guy so i know what im getting.

If not, I know to schedule my # 2 guy, arguably just as good, but sometimes cleans up the sides a bit off.

If that is gone, I know to schedule my # 3 guy at a different location. A different style he has to my fade, but... Its still good.

Never ever do you walk in randomly at a random place, for a random cut, at a random time for a random barbor.
You will end up lookin like a guy with a random hairstyle which could be randomly....

crap.

GO LEAFS!!!!

P.s. My barbor does plays games on the screen :D

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I'm just here for the over analyzing of every save and potential goals against Hutchinson to be honest. I look forward to it.
You see? Trade Sparks to Edmonton for McDavid
Sparks is lousy and no good and trade Nylander while our brains are so s*it
Thank goodness for Hutchinson maybe he can be our new backup and Sparks won't be reinstated!
The Leafs have a proud tradition of drumming future stars like Sparks out of town, and we would rather that then have Sparks sit.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I do. Same guy so i know what im getting.

If not, I know to schedule my # 2 guy, arguably just as good, but sometimes cleans up the sides a bit off.

If that is gone, I know to schedule my # 3 guy at a different location. A different style he has to my fade, but... Its still good.

Never ever do you walk in randomly at a random place, for a random cut, at a random time for a random barbor.
You will end up lookin like a guy with a random hairstyle which could be randomly....

crap.

GO LEAFS!!!!

P.s. My barbor does plays games on the screen :D

Ok. That seems like a lot of effort. I have never been to a barber shop that didn’t have a TV.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Great GDT, Budsfan! 9pm start time here, yay. Only problem is that is around the time my daughter heads to bed. Might miss some of the first period.

Reactions: Budsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad