Confirmed with Link: Wild Hire Judd Brackett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I think Guerin likes the East coast hockey guys ... Interesting BG left PJ Fenton on the staff.

Anybody know how former Wild head scout, Guy Lapointe is doing? Last I heard he was diagnosed with cancer in December.
PJ Fenton had a solid showing in last years draft. Doesn't shock me he's still on staff. BG's a professional.

As for Guy, not sure. Can't find anything about him since it was revealed he has oral cancer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canuck fan here. Who held the role that Judd Brackett is taking over? Or at least, who was the head of your scouting department?

Were those guys Fletcher's guys or Fenton's?

Makes sense for BG to grab his own guy.

In terms of expectations, I would say it's still too early to decide how good a hire Brackett is. He's done very well in the first round, but given where they were picking, that should be expected.

Vancouver is still waiting on their post 1st rounders to make a serious impact. Best ones so far post first round are Demko, the goalie, and Gaudette, a center.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Canuck fan here. Who held the role that Judd Brackett is taking over? Or at least, who was the head of your scouting department?

Makes sense for BG to grab his own guy.

In terms of expectations, I would say it's still too early to decide how good a hire Brackett is. He's done very well in the first round, but given where they were picking, that should be expected.

Vancouver is still waiting on their post 1st rounders to make a serious impact. Best ones so far post first round are Demko, the goalie, and Gaudette, a center.

His role was previously held by PJ Fenton, the son of Paul Fenton. I would assume you can guess which GM brought him in.

Surprisingly enough, his haul from 2019 draft has been relatively good, so I'm glad Fento Jr. was just demoted instead of being outright fired.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
His role was previously held by PJ Fenton, the son of Paul Fenton. I would assume you can guess which GM brought him in.

Surprisingly enough, his haul from 2019 draft has been relatively good, so I'm glad Fento Jr. was just demoted instead of being outright fired.
His role was actually shared between two guys, PJ and Yopyk. I think PJ is probably a great scout but he was always a little ripe for a director role. It’s not really a bash to PJ but o think it was always the plan to move to a more experienced guy, otherwise PJ would’ve been elevated when Yopyk was let go

Reactions: Wasted Talent

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

It's more like Risebrough or Fenton. Fletcher didn't have a ton of turnover in the scouting department and even kept LaPointe on as director.

That's where I am at. Madden and Gaudette were good picks.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
any fan here that follows this team closely have any news on what Geurin promised him?

He was originally let go of the Canucks because he wanted full Autonomy at the draft table. is Geurin allowing him that ?

anyways congrats on the hire!

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
any fan here that follows this team closely have any news on what Geurin promised him?

He was originally let go of the Canucks because he wanted full Autonomy at the draft table. is Geurin allowing him that ?

I think Russo reported that the deal was built around the rights to Guerin’s first born son and some very expensive truffles

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

No word on that, nothing in Russo's article.

I get the feeling that it wasn't necessarily full autonomy to operate however he wants to, but more that he and Benning may have butted heads too much with Benning overriding him a bit too often. Not that he needs complete control and no one to answer to, but just a little more say in who gets picked? Just a gut feeling.

Reactions: lindgren

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I get the feeling that it wasn't necessarily full autonomy to operate

On our end that's what he wanted. We had a 2 year extention worked out.

Anyways best of luck to him. Sad to see him go, but was totally expected.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
On our end that's what he wanted. We had a 2 year extention worked out.

Anyways best of luck to him. Sad to see him go, but was totally expected.

That's what Benning said he wanted, anyway. I don't think Benning would come out to the public after letting their top scout go and say "yeah I wanted more control to take guys like Juolevi, he wanted to keep taking guys like Pettersson and Boeser, so we had to let him go"

We may never know the truth about why it fell apart, but I would find it really surprising if a guy whose been in the business and that position for years suddenly decided he needed complete autonomy to do whatever he wants without consequences or supervision. And by all accounts Brackett is a great guy to work with, so I don't believe he's going to offer that ultimatum.

Reactions: lindgren

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That's what Benning said he wanted, anyway. I don't think Benning would come out to the public after letting their top scout go and say "yeah I wanted more control to take guys like Juolevi, he wanted to keep taking guys like Pettersson and Boeser, so we had to let him go"

We may never know the truth about why it fell apart, but I would find it really surprising if a guy whose been in the business and that position for years suddenly decided he needed complete autonomy to do whatever he wants without consequences or supervision. And by all accounts Brackett is a great guy to work with, so I don't believe he's going to offer that ultimatum.

oh no, please don't act like you know what is going on in Vancouver, as I will not act like I know what is going on In Minneapolis, this is why I am asking kindly what was the conditions, if no one knows that's totally fine, it's more of a curiosity thing. We always have non Canuck fans think they know shit about our team, when they are usually wrong as hell. for example some idiot said Judd Bracket was in charge of the Pettersson drafting when in fact it was Ron Delorme. Again local fans know far more then non local fans. Benning was interviewed by the Media, he gave a simple explanation of why they had to part ways, and Judd has equal opportunity to speak to the media but chose not too. An agreement for a 2 year extension was already worked out, we also know he's a great guy to work with, and we are sad to see him go.

if you want to believe he never made that request to have full autonmy at the draft, so be it. Please do. All Canuck fans know that's what he did. btw I'm not a Benning fan.

anyways best of luck to Judd. solid pick up by the Wild.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
oh no, please don't act like you know what is going on in Vancouver, as I will not act like I know what is going on In Minneapolis, this is why I am asking kindly what was the conditions, if no one knows that's totally fine, it's more of a curiosity thing. We always have non Canuck fans think they know shit about our team, when they are usually wrong as hell. for example some idiot said Judd Bracket was in charge of the Pettersson drafting when in fact it was Ron Delorme. Again local fans know far more then non local fans. Benning was interviewed by the Media, he gave a simple explanation of why they had to part ways, and Judd has equal opportunity to speak to the media but chose not too. An agreement for a 2 year extension was already worked out, we also know he's a great guy to work with, and we are sad to see him go.

if you want to believe he never made that request to have full autonmy at the draft, so be it. Please do. All Canuck fans know that's what he did. btw I'm not a Benning fan.

anyways best of luck to Judd. solid pick up by the Wild.

Do you have a source that says he did outside of Benning?
All media I've read said Brackett was a big proponent for Pettersson over Glass or Mittlestadt, but I would love a source on that too if I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to offend you, I told you it was just a gut feeling in my first response.

Guerin said when he was hired he wanted to be more actively involved in amateur scouting eventually, so I don't know why he'd sell the farm to some new guy if that were the case. And if Guerin didn't promise him what "he wanted" in Vancouver, why would Brackett take the exact same job with the exact same stipulations here as he would have gotten in Vancouver? That would seem to indicate there's more behind the scenes Benning isn't saying out loud, wouldn't it?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Do you have a source that says he did outside of Benning?
All media I've read said Brackett was a big proponent for Pettersson over Glass or Mittlestadt, but I would love a source on that too if I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to offend you, I told you it was just a gut feeling in my first response.

Guerin said when he was hired he wanted to be more actively involved in amateur scouting eventually, so I don't know why he'd sell the farm to some new guy if that were the case. And if Guerin didn't promise him what "he wanted" in Vancouver, why would Brackett take the exact same job with the exact same stipulations here as he would have gotten in Vancouver? That would seem to indicate there's more behind the scenes Benning isn't saying out loud, wouldn't it?

over here it was all over twitter from individuals who are reputable, including direct quotes from Benning.

I'm not trying to offend you or anything., this is why I asked. Judd also wanted full to be in charge of hiring and firing scouts. This is not an acceptable thing to ask for in Bennings Point of view Now there is a chance Benning might be making up a fake narrative, since a lot of fans including myself want him gone (Benning)

All media I've read said Brackett was a big proponent for Pettersson over Glass or Mittlestadt

Ben Kuzma: Delorme delivered first hard sell to get Pettersson on Canucks’ draft radar

this is an example of why local fans living in the city will always know more about their team then anyone else on the planet.

anyways regardless, I was just curious, we also knew he was going to get hired regardless by another team.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Ultimately, when you look at their track records, Brackett sure as hell seems like he has an eye for talent.

Boeser, Gaudette, wanting Tkachuk over Juolevi, Pettersson, DiPietro, Hughes, Madden, Podkolzin, Hoglander - he's been money since 2015.

You'd think Benning would be more thankful to the guy who saved his job instead of dragging him through the mud publicly.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Ultimately, when you look at their track records, Brackett sure as hell seems like he has an eye for talent.

Boeser, Gaudette, wanting Tkachuk over Juolevi, Pettersson, DiPietro, Hughes, Madden, Podkolzin, Hoglander - he's been money since 2015.

You'd think Benning would be more thankful to the guy who saved his job instead of dragging him through the mud publicly.

As much has I agree with you, (some) people in powerful positions doesn't like it when it's someone else's merit that they do a "good job".

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've worked in uncomplicated, small companies, or for myself for most of my life. On the rare times I've worked for bigger outfits, I've been amazed at the goings on. A lot of it is counterproductive, stupid, and just doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I've worked in uncomplicated, small companies, or for myself for most of my life. On the rare times I've worked for bigger outfits, I've been amazed at the goings on. A lot of it is counterproductive, stupid, and just doesn't make any sense.
Why do you think I have a job?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Dont listen to lawrence about anything. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Delorme is a useless dinosaur.

Brackett is the crux of the scouting wins over the past several seasons, and Minnesota is going to be extremely pleased to have him in their organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad