Speculation: Wild Goaltending 2020-21 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
As of today of the top four goalies in the system - Dubnyk, Stalock, Kahkonen, and Robson - only Stalock is signed past this season.

Any thoughts as to who stays, who goes, and whether the long-term solution is currently in the organization, the pipeline, or must come from elsewhere.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Dubnyk needs to be gone. Stalock can go to Iowa and mentor Robson. Sign or trade for a solid veteran goalie to split time with Kahkonen

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I was thinking Brian Elliot.
There's a handful of guys like Elliot. One of them should be a good fit for the Wild. I also like the idea of grabbing Raanta from Arizona if they're not looking to pay him and Kuemper at the same time.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
There's a handful of guys like Elliot. One of them should be a good fit for the Wild. I also like the idea of grabbing Raanta from Arizona if they're not looking to pay him and Kuemper at the same time.

A Raanta/Kähkönen tandem i would like a lot.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Brian Elliot has more than proven he's capable of being a good goalie behind a competent defense.

Yeah, I can't deny that, he was a pretty good goalie behind a good defense, but that also ended 4 seasons ago when the guy was 31. He's 35 now, coming off of 4 years that range from average in the first year, to well below average last year. He's been trending downward for a while now. You can certainly fault his defense for some of it, but all of it? Anyway, I'm just thinking that I'd rather ride out the downward trending 34 year old goalie's contract that we have now than buy him out and then purchase the exact same thing, but a year older, for even more money and cap space on top of a Dubnyk buyout.

For comparison's sake, Elliot's save% above expected this year was -.469%, putting him right around the Stalock ballpark (and nearly identical to Dubnyk in 18-19). Stalock had a nice stretch of games in the second half this year, but are we now calling him a league average goalie? If so, we don't need Elliot because we've got Stalock, and if not, we don't need Elliot because he's not a league average goaltender. There were 44 goalies above him in that stat this year, and 21 below him. That's well below average, and is adjusted for the difficulty of shots against him. His regular save% would improve, but it wouldn't be much better than we're getting with our backup goalie, and that's assuming he doesn't continue his decline, like Dubnyk has.

I, like you guys, think Dubnyk is done, but I don't see Elliot as the solution, even in the short term and even as a band-aid. He's just more of what we already have, so isn't needed. Either a better solution is presented, or you ride out Dubnyk's contract with Stalock or Kahkonen starting. Targeting a younger goalie who isn't getting a chance behind a good starter might be a good idea, but we should probably see what we have in our prospects, first.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Robison, Lindberg, Jones?

Even bigger question marks and further away than Kahkonen.

I wouldn't mind offering Lehner a longer term contract as long as the AAV isn't too high, but it's bad timing because I would prefer to give Kahkonen the chance first, and you can't really do both.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Even bigger question marks and further away than Kahkonen.

I wouldn't mind offering Lehner a longer term contract as long as the AAV isn't too high, but it's bad timing because I would prefer to give Kahkonen the chance first, and you can't really do both.
If you can get a guy like Lehner on a good deal? I would sign him and then hope to have the "problem" of having two #1 goalies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you can get a guy like Lehner on a good deal? I would sign him and then hope to have the "problem" of having two #1 goalies.

Yeah my hesitation would be the good deal part. I know he's looking for term, but I'd bet he's looking to get paid too, and I'm not a fan of paying goalies a lot for a long time. But yeah, on a good deal, would love to get Lehner here.

Reactions: BagHead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->