Wild get Oilers 1st round pick = trade up for 2006 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
or spend some of their 15-18 mill in cap money this offseason on aquiring a D man or two...

there is supposed to be what 30+ top 4 dmen UFA's out there.

Thelen, Stoner, Belle all have a chance to be decent.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
No one is going to trade out of the top 6 for 2 picks in the teens or lower. Outside of the top 8 or 9, its a complete crapshoot. One of the weakest drafts in terms of depth since 96.

Unless you catch Mike O'Connell when he forgets to take his medication. And I hope to god you don't.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Wreck Gar said:
Two mid first round picks this year aren't worth one of the lottery picks by any stretch of the imagination.

Finally, a voice of reason. I can understand Minny fans wanting this scenario to happen, but back here on a place I like to call Earth...just ask yourselves, why would a team picking top 3, give that away for two mid level 1sts in a top heavy draft? Let me answer that for you...They wouldn't! So, don't lose any sleep over it. I do agree that Pittsburgh, should they get the top pick, may give seriour consideration to trading down, and rightfully so, but I think they would do it only if they received some talent in return. Picks wont get it done.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Chrisd said:
or spend some of their 15-18 mill in cap money this offseason on aquiring a D man or two...

there is supposed to be what 30+ top 4 dmen UFA's out there.

Thelen, Stoner, Belle all have a chance to be decent.

How true is that? If Minny is willing to spend some coin, this is the off season to do it! Sure they are building a nice little team, with some real nice pieces in place, with some gems coming down the pipe in O'Sullivan, Pouliot and Harding. They could cut the learning curve in half this off-season by acquiring some top level talent on D, which they need desperately. Losing Mitchell will be no big deal, considering what they got in return, so they need to go get some proven D help, and if it costs some dough, pony up. They will need to give Gaborik some help sooner rather than later. Rolston has played out of his mind, but to think he will do that again or improve, is a stretch.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
I trade Malkin for two firsts and Gaborik in about a half a second if I were Craig Patrick.

That would definitely make Patrick sit up and take notice, but to jump at it, may be a bit hasty. I really like Gaborik, and adding him to the good looking young nucleus the Pens are building would be great. That being said, Malkin does appear to be the real deal, and if he shows half the love for the game his fellow countryman Ovechkin does, he will be an incredible talent. In most years the 2 1sts would play a big part, but I just dont think that 2 mid range picks, will really be enough to start salivating over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->