Wild Card Ambitions

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Going into todays deadline the Preds are dead last in the division.

The Preds are also no where near being as consistent and talented as the following teams in the division.

-Chicago
-St. Louis
-Colorado
-Minnesota

It appears we are looking at only being able to slip into a wild card spot for AGAIN for many years to come.

The big picture looks bleak for the Predators no matter how silly Poile and company look for thinking the team is capable of making the playoffs this year.

I hope today is a step forward in not settling for possibly sneaking in the playoffs.

Thoughts and ideas on what the heck to do to even be able to compete in the division??

1stLineCottonCandy

Apr 7, 2013
Chattanooga
Tank. Tank hard and fast. It doesn't really matter this year because the draft is not so great but we need to trade away all of those awful signings and let the young guys play. If they win awesome. If they lose awesome.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't think Minnesota or even Colorado are all that much more talented from top to bottom. Both have much less defensive depth and outside of the Wild's one line, their offensive depth isn't all that impressive.

We're just missing that top offensive line. Guys like Legwand, Fisher, Bourque, Wilson, etc aren't going to be consistent enough offensively to lead a true playoff team.

Is the answer Forsberg, Scissons, Watson? I don't know. I know I don't have faith in Trotz to mold them into offensive players.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
They may not be from top to bottom but Colorado has found a way to be 1 point being Chicago after beating them last night. Minnesota has ran away with the first Wildcard spot and are on a 5 game winning streak. All that without a consistent goalie and their best forward being hurt for a couple of weeks.
More tham likely they will add Vanek next year and will ne evem stronger.

Personally i don't see world beaters in Watson and Sissons

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't think Minnesota or even Colorado are all that much more talented from top to bottom. Both have much less defensive depth and outside of the Wild's one line, their offensive depth isn't all that impressive.

We're just missing that top offensive line. Guys like Legwand, Fisher, Bourque, Wilson, etc aren't going to be consistent enough offensively to lead a true playoff team.

Is the answer Forsberg, Scissons, Watson? I don't know. I know I don't have faith in Trotz to mold them into offensive players.

Colorado maybe, but they are only improving. Minnesota is by far the superior team top to bottom with the exception of netminder.

It's time for us to reverse last off season's horrible decisions and hit the reset button. With Weber, Josi and Rinne, we have a pretty good chance of having a quick rebuild if we can manage to move the right people for the right parts.

Legwand, Ellis (because he has a decent amount of value), Cullen, Stalberg, and Spaling should be moved. Gut the core and rebuild with your three corner stones.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Going to disagree. Minnesota's defensive group is not as deep as ours.

Offesively, They do have a better top line (meaning they have a top line) yet they have produced exactly 2 more goals than our horrible offensive team.

They have 2 more regulation wins but 6 more shootout wins.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Going to disagree. Minnesota's defensive group is not as deep as ours.

Offesively, They do have a better top line (meaning they have a top line) yet they have produced exactly 2 more goals than our horrible offensive team.

They have 2 more regulation wins but 6 more shootout wins.

They are the lead in a wild card spot. The Preds are last in the division and 2 spots from last in the conference.
The Wild also made the playoffs last year. Nashville did not and finished in top 5 worse in the entire NHL.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
it always seems like every subsequent year is going to go look the current one... and then something happens like Colorado going from 1st overall pick to playoff team in one season.

in a year or two a lot could change.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
it always seems like every subsequent year is going to go look the current one... and then something happens like Colorado going from 1st overall pick to playoff team in one season.

in a year or two a lot could change.

It took more than a #1 pick

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Will be interesting to see what Colorado looks like if Stastny and ROR leave. Their defence still leaves something to be desired, and I want to see varlarmov produce year in year out.

Minnesota will be a curious case. Koivu, Pomminville, Parise, Suter, all pull north of 5.5 million Add Vanek and you have 5 guys making roughly half the cap. They have young talent, but theirs is not much better than ours if at all.

I hate Rinne being hurt. I think we are fighting for that 6-7 spot with him rather than hoping to end a **** season

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I don't think the future is bleak. We got used to going to the playoffs, but we continue to stock the pipeline and I actually think the outlook for the next 2-3 years is fairly bright. The forward situation remains the primary area of concern, but my hope is that Fisher / Legwand exiting will give some prospects more NHL time. I think we miss the playoffs again next year and have better luck the following one.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
This team has gone 14-6-1 exactly twice over the last 21 games of the season in its history. That would put us at 91 points. Right now, that would give us a 46% chance of finishing 8th in the West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad