Confirmed with Link: Wild Buys-Out Final Year of Thomas Vanek's Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It's not like they're going for those two just because they're from here. They're the top two free agents after Stamkos and both the type of player we need.

Type may be true...but those two are not WHO we need.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Great job - how is Fletcher employed again? Dumb move after dumb move. I had no problem with Vanek. Had no problem either with letting him ride out another year on his contract and be done. Now we have another year?

Also, for a team that is struggling with goals (one of the number 1 priorities for Fletcher when he got here and he has yet to address it), buying out Vanek was really, really dumb.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Was the right move to buy him out. Just like it was the right move to sign him 2 years ago to a 3-year contract. Unfortunately he didn't live up to the contract at all and put us in a predicament. Don't really care what he does next year, he wasn't worth half the cap he took up the past 2 seasons and GMCF needed to do something to work the cap this offseason.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Was the right move to buy him out. Just like it was the right move to sign him 2 years ago to a 3-year contract. Unfortunately he didn't live up to the contract at all and put us in a predicament. Don't really care what he does next year, he wasn't worth half the cap he took up the past 2 seasons and GMCF needed to do something to work the cap this offseason.

Who is? Koivu isn't worth the 6.75 million. Pominville isn't worth the 5.6 million.

We. Had. One. Year. That was it. Done. Over. It wasn't like Vanek was signed to a 7 year contract. 3 years. So what if he didn't live up to his contract? We knew the risks going into it and had to suck it up for 3 years. I mean Granlund isn't worth the 3 million and Parise is starting to really suck it up with the 7.5 million.

This wasn't the right move. The right move would be to deal with it, be patient and figure out your moves this off-season for next season.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Now I'm starting to wonder what happens when the other shoe drops.

There's always another shoe with GMCF moves like this.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
What if the shoe doesn't drop?

I think there has to be. I think if we didn't have something in the works we probably would have just eaten the final year and seen how he does under BB. It makes absolutely no ****ing sense unless theres something else coming down the chute.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Agreed.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I will refrain from commenting on whether this was a good move until I see what else is coming. In a vacuum, I don't like the move, but hopefully he was sacrificed for a good reason.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Signing Vanek was a good move to acquire scoring. Short contract, too.

Shame it didn't pan out. I wanted to see him in BB's system, but it was not to be. Good luck going forward, Thomas. Shame you didn't have the drive to match your skill.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Vanek was signed to bring goals with his shoot first mentality... but he never had that shoot first mentality, thus was never the goal scorer we signed him to be.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Still don't like the $2.5M of dead money next year. They might have to count on Vegas taking Brodin/Scandella just to get under the cap.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
We know have Vanek looming for two more years instead of one.

Parise goes from 33 goals and 62 points to 25 goals and 53 points. There were 3 hat tricks? in there. Which is good but when 1/3 of you goals were from hat tricks not very consistent.

Pominville goes from 18 goals 54 points to 11 goals 36 points

Zucker 21 goals to 13 and he played in 20 more game this year.

Fonzy 31 points to 16

Last year was a system wide failure with a few bright spots. Coyle, Nino, end of the year Haula. Fire the coach, check. Should have ended there.

Didnt we do this with Cooke. Get some more money get a goal scorer. We got Vanek. With Vanek's money do we get another similar guy? The cycle continues.

Can we even afford to pay Stamkos a high price for a long contract. Have all your money in three guys

Kane-Keith-Toews are not Parise-Suter-Stamkos they're much better. Parise and Suter from 2007 yes but not their 2016-17 selves.

Bottom line. We had our chance a few years ago. Vets are aging too fast and youth is not rising to the top.

Patience is not a bad thing. Panic patch work is.

Slow Motion

Jun 1, 2014
I'm mostly sad because my "Vanek with the turnover" drinking game will have to be replaced. One great shift followed by three disinterested shifts (Randy Moss on skates) did nothing for me. I have defended Vanek as still a very good NHL player 9when he has his heart in it you can see he still has it), but he wasn't much better than Heatley last year. If replaced with more speed and heart/effort I think it is a good move.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hopefully we stay away from the big names. At least Vanek wouldn't have counted for the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad