Wild begin year with dominant win over Edmonton

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
Minnesota couldn't ask much more from opening night. Timely goals and strong defense led the Wild to an easy 3-1 win over the Oilers in Edmonton.

Ladislav Nagy and Patrice Bergeron each had a goal and an assist and Martin St Louis had 2 assists to lead the way. Darcy Tucker also banged in a rebound to round out the scoring. Vesa Toskala was sound in net only allowing a meaningless goal to spoil the shutout with 40 seconds left in the game.

"We really wanted that shutout for Vesa," said Bergeron. "We're disappointed for him but other than that, we really wanted to make a statement opening night and I think we did."

Wild GM Greg Dockus was happy to say the least. "As I said before the season, our goal is to win the Cup. But to win the Cup I think we need home ice. To get home ice we need to win the division. To win the division we have to beat Edmonton. Our first step was a winning one. Our top line will be a force this year. Sundin has big skates to fill, but Bergeron will lead this team and first line to big things this year, I promise you."

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Minnesota couldn't ask much more from opening night. Timely goals and strong defense led the Wild to an easy 3-1 win over the Oilers in Edmonton.

Ladislav Nagy and Patrice Bergeron each had a goal and an assist and Martin St Louis had 2 assists to lead the way. Darcy Tucker also banged in a rebound to round out the scoring. Vesa Toskala was sound in net only allowing a meaningless goal to spoil the shutout with 40 seconds left in the game.

"We really wanted that shutout for Vesa," said Bergeron. "We're disappointed for him but other than that, we really wanted to make a statement opening night and I think we did."

Wild GM Greg Dockus was happy to say the least. "As I said before the season, our goal is to win the Cup. But to win the Cup I think we need home ice. To get home ice we need to win the division. To win the division we have to beat Edmonton. Our first step was a winning one. Our top line will be a force this year. Sundin has big skates to fill, but Bergeron will lead this team and first line to big things this year, I promise you."

At least you aren't 1-5! :madfire: :banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->