GDT: Wild @ Avs

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We have plenty of cap space for the next 3 years. That's our cup window whether people like it or not. The moment Mack gets his new deal our window is done.

Our players are young enough that we should be able to retool. Hall's contract is just too much for too long IMO.

There is a difference between being aggressive, and being careless.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Our players are young enough that we should be able to retool. Hall's contract is just too much for too long IMO.

There is a difference between being aggressive, and being careless.

If the Avs can re-sign Nate and Landy, which they should have the cap space to do, they'll be competitive for a lot longer than 3 years. That's why Sakic has built the team this way.

They have Mikko signed for 6 years, Girard for 7 more years after this season, Timmins is 21, Makar, Kaut, and Bowers are 20, Newhook and Byram just turned 18.

Even if they lose some of their depth in the coming years, they'll be a prime UFA destination as soon as next year now that everyone sees how good they're about to be. They shouldn't have to overpay for talent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No I don't think that's correct. Bednar has no problems criticizing players. Especially this year. He's not protecting Jost, he would criticize him in a heartbeat if he was upset with him.

In the same pre-season presser where he said Jost played well while everyone said he was terrible, he heavily criticized both Byram and Timmins. If there was anybody that Bednar would protect and shy away from criticizing it's them.

I don't think Jost played well against the Wild, but my point in bringing it up again is that Bednar isn't as down on him as others.

Not all players are the same, nor are all situations. Timmins was doing great leading up to that and playing with confidence because just making it surpassed expectations; Byram was being sent down to a level he was confident he could dominate; so no, they didn't require the protection that Jost does.

...yet...

Reactions: Hornstar

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Eh ? Barrie was a PPG player in March for 2 seasons in a row when Landeskog and Rantanen were injured. He was one of the key factors for us in both runs for the last playoff spot.
And a minus player. He's always going to be a minus player. When you are an opposing forward and you see you are out against him you are licking your chops.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not all players are the same, nor are all situations. Timmins was doing great and playing with confidence, Byram was being sent down to a level he was confident he could dominate, so no, they didn't require the protection that Jost does.

...yet...

They didn't know they were going to send Byram down after the first pre-season game though, and by Sakic and Bednar's admission they thought Timmins was going to start in the AHL. He hadn't started dominating yet, that first game was shaky. Hence the critique from Bednar.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good win last night. They went through another stretch where they didn't play well and seemed to lose some focus but I can't really complain about two points. They're picking up wins while still working through some of the early season issues.

I thought Grubauer was great once again. He made some big saves and both goals he allowed were deflected in front.

Kadri has made some nice plays and come close in both games. In the first one he hit the crossbar and last night he made that little move to cut in front but Dubnyk stopped him. I'm not worried about him at all.

Timmins has to be smarter if he wants more minutes. Can't be falling asleep or making poor plays at the point, especially when you skate like he does.

Reactions: shadow1

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They didn't know they were going to send Byram down after the first pre-season game though, and by Sakic and Bednar's admission they thought Timmins was going to start in the AHL. He hadn't started dominating yet, that first game was shaky. Hence the critique from Bednar.

Judging off his preseason performances, I suspect that Byram's present limitations were on full display in camp as well...but either way, the expectation wasn't for him to start making a difference at the NHL level; like Jost is. Bo struggling with men as an 18-year-old wasn't unexpected or in any way a letdown. Jost continuing to fail to fill a top 6 gig would be.

And I actually mentioned that about Timms in my edit. He wasn't even expected to make the team; so him looking like he belonged and might actually earn an NHL gig, was more than expected from his first hockey in 18 months.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Judging off his preseason performances, I suspect that Byram's present limitations were on full display in camp as well...but either way the expectation wasn't for him to start making a difference at the NHL level; like Jost is.

And I actually mentioned that about Timms in my edit. He wasn't even expected to make the team, so him looking like he belonged and like he might actually earn an NHL gig, was more than expected from his first hockey in 18 months.

I guess we just see Bednar differently. I don't think he's the type of coach to sugarcoat or shy away from criticism. I've always seen him as a coach that will hold both the stars and scrubs to the same level of accountability, and will be honest about whether he thinks a player or line is playing well or not.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess we just see it differently. I don't think Bednar is the type of coach to sugarcoat or shy away from criticism. I've always seen him as a coach that will hold both the stars and scrubs to the same level of accountability, and will be honest about whether he thinks a player or line is playing well or not.

It's not about not holding Jost accountable because he's some fragile snowflake. It's about being mindful of what Bednar says in public to motivate his players & recognizing that different situations require different tactics to get the most out of different dudes...and that sometimes a kid needs a pat on the ass more than he needs to be called out.

Reactions: flyfysher

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not about not holding guys accountable. It's about being mindful of what he says in public & recognizing that different situations require different tactics to best motivate a player / get the most out of them.

I know but I don't think Bednar cares about that. No matter who the player is, if he believes they're not playing well, I think he's gonna say it if asked about it.

Roy would do what you're describing and shield certain players from criticism, but I don't think Bednar is that guy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know but I don't think Bednar cares about that. No matter who the player is, if they're not playing well, I think he's gonna say it if asked about it.

Roy would do what you're describing and shield certain players from criticism, but I don't think Bednar is that guy.

Fair enough, I disagree & absolutely believe that we have seen that Bednar tries different tactics to press different players' buttons...although my high ass can't think of any examples atm...but there's only so much armchair psychology can tell us from press conferences.

PS it's not about being "that guy" or playing favorites. It's just about being a good manager & tailoring your approach to each person that you are responsible for.

Reactions: Foppa2118

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fair enough, I disagree & absolutely believe that we have seen that Bednar tries different tactics to press different players' buttons...although my high ass can't think of any examples atm...but there's only so much armchair psychology can tell us from press conferences.

PS it's not about being "that guy" or playing favorites. It's just about being a good manager & tailoring your approach to each person that you are responsible for.

Z might be the best example of a player Bednar has tried multiple tactics with. Early on Bednar tried building his confidence, and wouldn't say much negative to the public. Even though his usage was all over the map.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Z might be the best example of a player Bednar has tried multiple tactics with. Early on Bednar tried building his confidence, and wouldn't say much negative to the public. Even though his usage was all over the map.

I don't know if that's a great example. Bednar made him a healthy scratch in November during his first year as coach. He also made him a healthy scratch in game 1 the following season. He's been quite tough on Z early in every season.

He'll build guys up by saying how good they can be if they play the right way, but he'll also be critical of what they're doing wrong.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know if that's a great example. Bednar made him a healthy scratch in November during his first year as coach. He also made him a healthy scratch in game 1 the following season. He's been quite tough on Z early in every season.

He'll build guys up by saying how good they can be if they play the right way, but he'll also be critical of what they're doing wrong.

You are thinking in very broad strokes when looking at this IMO. Its actually something that changes daily/weekly.

Bednar literally said to the media he was focused on building Z's confidence. He talked about managing his minutes as well. What we thought was cuts in his ice time. Bednar specifically said had more to do with match ups and situational usage based on Bednar trying to keep Z away from situations that might undermine that goal.

Then yes, not too much later benches him at times. IMO there was an obvious contrast.

Actually in Bednar's first year we thought how he handled players at the NHL level might be his downfall. He clearly patched things up with Soda.

Bednar has definitely made some adjustments I think, and learned some things under fire.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You are thinking in very broad strokes when looking at this IMO. Its actually something that changes daily/weekly.

Bednar literally said to the media he was focused on building Z's confidence. He talked about managing his minutes as well. What we thought was cuts in his ice time. Bednar specifically said had more to do with match ups and situational usage based on Bednar trying to keep Z away from situations that might undermine that goal.

Then yes, not too much later benches him at times. IMO there was an obvious contrast.

Actually in Bednar's first year we thought how he handled players at the NHL level might be his downfall. He clearly patched things up with Soda.

Bednar has definitely made some adjustments I think, and learned some things under fire.

The main context of what we were talking about was whether Bednar would say he thought a player or a line played well, if he didn't think that.

Bednar has tried pumping up Z's tires, and he's also put him in the doghouse and been critical of him, but I don't think he's ever said Z played well when he didn't think he did.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The main context of what we were talking about was whether Bednar would say he thought a player or a line played well, if he didn't think that.

Bednar has tried pumping up Z's tires, and he's also put him in the doghouse and been critical of him, but I don't think he's ever said Z played well when he didn't think he did.

Oh yeah, I don't think he'd bold face lie lol.

Reactions: Foppa2118

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Maybe the thing I’m most impressed with is we’ve gone into the 3rd with 1 goal leads in both games, and were effective at holding it both times. Night and day better than last year and it’ll be necessary to win games like that come playoff time.

We have not even trailed by a goal once.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't really like Jost's game last night and I thought he was much better in the first game. I'd still like to see them try him as the 3C but if they're against that then just leave him where he is and hope the line can click once they build some chemistry.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Good win last night. They went through another stretch where they didn't play well and seemed to lose some focus but I can't really complain about two points. They're picking up wins while still working through some of the early season issues.

I thought Grubauer was great once again. He made some big saves and both goals he allowed were deflected in front.

Kadri has made some nice plays and come close in both games. In the first one he hit the crossbar and last night he made that little move to cut in front but Dubnyk stopped him. I'm not worried about him at all.

Timmins has to be smarter if he wants more minutes. Can't be falling asleep or making poor plays at the point, especially when you skate like he does.

Agreed. It's a nice story of him making the club after his major health issue, but he's been shaky.

The Avs have allowed (3) PP goals already. That's not Timmins fault, but his spot could be used by a veteran that Bednar trusts on the PK - riding Zadorov, Johnson, and Graves exclusively isn't going to cut it. Graves =/= Nemeth.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed. It's a nice story of him making the club after his major health issue, but he's been shaky.

The Avs have allowed (3) PP goals already. That's not Timmins fault, but his spot could be used by a veteran that Bednar trusts on the PK - riding Zadorov, Johnson, and Graves exclusively isn't going to cut it. Graves =/= Nemeth.

The experience Timmins is getting now will help both him and the team in the future. Yea we are trying to win, but getting Makar and Timmins experience before EJ completely falls off is important.

Growing pains should be just that. Also anyone else we put in is going to do dumb shit, and we are not going to get any long term benefit from it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The experience Timmins is getting now will help both him and the team in the future. Yea we are trying to win, but getting Makar and Timmins experience before EJ completely falls off is important.

Growing pains should be just that. Also anyone else we put in is going to do dumb ****, and we are not going to get any long term benefit from it.

I agree he should get experience, but in the AHL where he can play 20 minutes per night. He's playing 10 minutes per night right now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I actually wish they'd give Timmins more of a shot on the PK because of how well he usually reads the play. Nothing against Graves because he has done his job for the most part but my ideal third pairing when everyone is healthy would be Cole-Timmins. Cole can be adventurous at times but last year we heard a couple of guys say how playing with him helped because he talks a lot on the ice.

Anyone want to guess who leads the Avs in CF% through two games? Everyone's favourite analytical darling.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have plenty of cap space for the next 3 years. That's our cup window whether people like it or not. The moment Mack gets his new deal our window is done.
Pens, Caps, Blues, Bruins...possibly Tampa. It's not true that all windows are short. We arent CBJ.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I actually wish they'd give Timmins more of a shot on the PK because of how well he usually reads the play. Nothing against Graves because he has done his job for the most part but my ideal third pairing when everyone is healthy would be Cole-Timmins. Cole can be adventurous at times but last year we heard a couple of guys say how playing with him helped because he talks a lot on the ice.

Anyone want to guess who leads the Avs in CF% through two games? Everyone's favourite analytical darling.

I've liked Burakovsky's game, but that number is certainly from his crazy OZ% start (something like 66% IIRC).

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->