Confirmed with Link: Wild and Dumba settle on a 5 year, 6M AAV contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good for him!
He's tries to be a little to fancy for his own good, which is usually his downfall in most of his defensive lapses.
However, he's dynamic and willing to take those chances. Well deserved signing, especially after he showed can carry the load after Suter and Spurg went down.
Yeah, if he could just keep it simple in the D end I'd feel better about his game. Seems to overthink things, or not think about things at all.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Count me in the camp that likes this deal.

Dumba has a pretty unique skill set among the Wild defense corps, and has accomplished a lot for a 23 year old. He just keeps tracking upward, so 6 mil could be a steal by the end of the deal.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
In one of those old "unpopular opinions" threads, I said I thought Dumba would wind up as the best defenseman in his class. I think he's well on his way to proving me right. I love the deal.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In one of those old "unpopular opinions" threads, I said I thought Dumba would wind up as the best defenseman in his class. I think he's well on his way to proving me right. I love the deal.
I saw that same potential going into that draft, which was why I wanted him so badly!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I didn't see Dumba play 1 game before the draft, but was cool with either him or Trouba. Both were organizational needs. Had no idea who Forsberg was.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
while i wanted forsberg , i did like what others were saying about him. then at his first summer dev camp he won me over. he was non stop asking the coaches ? AND LISTENING to them!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I had no idea so many people didn't like Dumba.

He's probably my favorite Wild player.
So many apparently set their opinion his first season, and have never watched him objectively since. Any mistake he makes, they act like it's his 5th or 6th in a game instead of 2nd in a week which is closer to reality.

It's the same group that was never satisfied with Burns, wanted him shipped out, was glad to see him go, but then got ticked we traded him when he became a Norris defenseman in San Jose.

Reactions: AKL

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if memory servs burns wanted more money than we could offer. now im happy with dumba , i did want to trade him or coyle 2 years ago for RNH because we needed a C badly. im sure gmcf gave up haula & tuch to keep dumba and or brodin (keep D core in tact)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
if memory servs burns wanted more money than we could offer. now im happy with dumba , i did want to trade him or coyle 2 years ago for RNH because we needed a C badly. im sure gmcf gave up haula & tuch to keep dumba and or brodin (keep D core in tact)
Yes, we couldn't afford both Burns and Koivu, I'm not arguing that. All I'm pointing out is Burns had a lot of detractors at the time here and those were happy to see him go, and they are likely the same that still hate on Dumba now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I didn't have a problem with the Burns trade, but Management failed to do proper investigation about Seto. Oh well, not the first drunk to play hockey.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I didn't have a problem with the Burns trade, but Management failed to do proper investigation about Seto. Oh well, not the first drunk to play hockey.
We were in a tough spot. No assets in the cupboard, cap hell, only a choice of two players to keep one of and build around the other.

I understood the choice of building around a center, so I was ok with that as well.

It helped that both players were my two favorite on the team though. I had both a Koivu and Burns Jersey (still do if course), wanted both to stay but knew it wasn't possible.

Koivu stayed, and now I have a parrot named Mikko. :laugh:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Also was a situation where Burns was coming off a very good season, but had two injury filled mediocre seasons prior to that. Koivu had 3 seasons of 60+ points.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not to pull this, but it's not like San Jose didn't put Burns back to wing again, nor have they won a Cup with Burns putting up 70+ points and having a offensively-gifted team. Burns has never been the every-minute dominating Dman of the likes of Weber, Chara, Pronger, etc. Nor the ridiculous reliable Doughty, Hedman, Suter, Josi, Keith, etc.

He's always been in the tier of Karlsson, Subban, Letang, Byfuglien. Amazing offensive players. Some of them with a physical element too. But not perfect defensively. Two of those guys were traded. And the third one is about to be.

Wild's problem was the trade they accepted, not the decision to trade Burns. It was new management who (1) didn't hold out for a center, (2) didn't do their due diligence to find out Setoguchi had major red flags, (3) used the pick on a guy with skating and work ethic issues, and (4) got suckered into giving up a 2nd by a more experienced GM.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad