Wiggins out of Olympic qaulifier.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
This was my thinking. Knew the team didn't have a fighting chance with basically all its best players injured or not wanting to play.

IMO he'll play for Canada at all the FIBA events and future Olympic events.

In other words, find a weak sauce argument to get out of playing internationally, even though his opposing teams are going to be much weaker in the qualifier.

Fans aren't buying it, obviously, and the changes going on mean that he would have to do a lot more than just play for Canada in the next tournament.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Its you that needs the help.

Its rather strange that you can't grasp the concept on why Barcelona holds such a high regards. Guess you don't even think, for one second, why their supporters take the motto "More Than A Club" as serious in politics and culture than sports.

There's no Republic of Merseyside, no Merseish language, or a history of Mersey players refusing to play for England.

Given that Liverpool and Everton players still contribute to the national team, let alone the fans themselves, ends your assertion about supporting club over country.

Not to mention that you brought an irrelevant discussion into a thread about a players ego and a lack of priority.

I understand completely the complex and tense history between Catalonia (and Basque Country as another example) and the Capital region of Spain, particularly during the Franco regime. I am fully aware of the Cultural differences. This is of course understandable for many Catalans not being invested in the Spanish national team. Thus, this supports my point which was that the local club teams are a higher priority than the national team and Catalan soccer players growing up aspire to play for Barca first and foremost.
There is also a strong Scouse regional identity that you may not be aware of. I can tell you that soccer players from Merseyside aspire to play for one of Liverpool or Everton when they grow up over the national team. Thus, this supports my point which I don't feel to have to state yet again.
This will be my last post on that subject as I agree with you we shouldn't get off track further. My post was not judgemental of either region, the loyalty to the club teams over the national teams are perfectly understandable in my view. We cool now?

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's unfortunate but I can't blame him too much. Playing in the qualifier and then in the Olympics if they do qualify, while also preparing himself for the NBA season under a new coach and completely different system, is asking quite a bit.

Canada (Wiggins included) screwed themselves by choking against Venezuela last summer. This probably wouldn't be an issue if they qualified then. I bet we'd see Wiggins play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad