wider feet by gaining weight ?

denace

May 29, 2010
Holland
Last year I've bought my skates online, and yes that was not my brightest moment. Since april last year, I've gained a whopping 44 pounds (20 kilo ) due to a severe backinjury and by quitting smoking :handclap:

A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to lace up my CCM Vector 06's width E for the first time since the injury. To my surprise they didn't fit anymore. It looks and feels like my feet turned wider, because 44 pounds ago, they did bother me, but not nearly as much as they do now. After 3 weeks of agony, I'm thinking about buying new skates. My skates are a little bit to big lengthwise, not bigger than the width of my fingertip :)

Does this make any sense, because my English is really rusty at the moment:shakehead

Anyways, should I buy new skates or should I wait ? I'm currently doing a lot of cardio and weight training to get rid of the fatsuit. Within 3 months I'll certainly lose at least 22 pounds.

Last edited:

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I have very wide feet naturally and I just cant wear CCM skates. CCM has a nice wide heal cup but I find that they never in the toe cup. I really wanted U+ skates a few years back.

Yes weight gain will give you fat feet. I lost weight and my skates fit a bit better.

As was posted by Jarick you can take them to a skate shop and have them pushed for now. you may want to hold off on buying new skates until you decide that your new found 44 Lbs are part of you or if you are going to louse the weight.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Oddly enough, playing hockey will make you want smaller shoes...I was a size 9.5-10 a few years ago and even though I've gained a few pounds, I've been opting for 8-8.5 shoes lately. I got so used to super tight fitting skates that loose, sloppy shoes feel weird now.

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
Oddly enough, playing hockey will make you want smaller shoes...I was a size 9.5-10 a few years ago and even though I've gained a few pounds, I've been opting for 8-8.5 shoes lately. I got so used to super tight fitting skates that loose, sloppy shoes feel weird now.

I hear you on that. I used to wear a size 12 shoe. Now I get mostly size 11, sometimes 10.5. They just feel better.

denace

May 29, 2010
Holland
Does it make a big difference when you have them baked ?

I've tied my skates a lot looser than usual tonight but the pain was still there. Besides, my heel started to slip a bit and the feeling was really wobbely. This weekend I'll try some skates on to see what feeling I'm looking for.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If your CCM skates used to fit well, and are still good skates in good shape, then maybe just pick up some cheap used skates that fit properly for now? Fitting back into your old skates could be good motivation to lose the new weight.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, your body can store fat in your feet. I used to wear an 11E Bauer skate, and nowadays I fit into a 10.5D Bauer skate. Both are Vapors (the 11 is a Vapor 3, the current is a Vapor XXXI or smth like that)

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
to OP i feel your pain...i was in the same situation with the back (which is basically all metal now)...gained 50 pounds, kept playing hockey and lost it all and then some, im 5'11'' and down to 170 now but i never noticed my skates feeling any different then and now...good luck though

denace

May 29, 2010
Holland
When I was fit, my skates didn't feel really that good to begin with. The pain in my feet was always there, but after a couple of minutes, it was manageble. I didn't know what to expect from a mid ranged skate, I just thought it was me. So they were not the most comfortable skates in the world but 168 dollar for vector 06 (normal price over here is 385) was a really good deal....until I went Elvis on myself lol.

Is width E the most wide skate CCM has to offer ?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
When I was fit, my skates didn't feel really that good to begin with. The pain in my feet was always there, but after a couple of minutes, it was manageble. I didn't know what to expect from a mid ranged skate, I just thought it was me. So they were not the most comfortable skates in the world but 168 dollar for vector 06 (normal price over here is 385) was a really good deal....until I went Elvis on myself lol.

Is width E the most wide skate CCM has to offer ?
I think so, most skates just come in two widths, regular and wide. CCM and Rbk call it D/E, Bauer calls it D/EE, Easton and Graf call it R/W. Certain skate models by certain companies will come in more than 2 widths (a lot of Graf skates especially will come in "N" widths as well, i.e. narrow), but in general most skates will only be available in regular or wide, and the specific letters used are just the letters that said company happens to use. As far as I know the fact that Bauer calls their wide skates "EE" vs. CCM's "E" doesn't actually mean they're wider.

If you really need super wide skates you'd either have to get custom skates (ridiculously expensive), get your skates punched (best if they're pinching only in certain areas), or get skates that are too big for you based on foot length (not a great option, but possibly the only option you have).

denace

May 29, 2010
Holland
I think so, most skates just come in two widths, regular and wide. CCM and Rbk call it D/E, Bauer calls it D/EE, Easton and Graf call it R/W. Certain skate models by certain companies will come in more than 2 widths (a lot of Graf skates especially will come in "N" widths as well, i.e. narrow), but in general most skates will only be available in regular or wide, and the specific letters used are just the letters that said company happens to use. As far as I know the fact that Bauer calls their wide skates "EE" vs. CCM's "E" doesn't actually mean they're wider.

If you really need super wide skates you'd either have to get custom skates (ridiculously expensive), get your skates punched (best if they're pinching only in certain areas), or get skates that are too big for you based on foot length (not a great option, but possibly the only option you have).

Thanks, but my skates are already half a size to big for me. I'll try baking them, then I'll try getting them punched out. If that doesnt work, I'll have a liposuction on my feet;) But first, I'll try on some other brands like Graf or something..

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
Because your weight gain was rapid, and due to injury, there is actually a good chance that your feet have swollen, happens a lot to people with congestive heart failure and pregnant women

you should probably wait til your weight normalizes before new skates

umpft

Nov 19, 2010
Last year I've bought my skates online, and yes that was not my brightest moment. Since april last year, I've gained a whopping 44 pounds (20 kilo ) due to a severe backinjury and by quitting smoking :handclap:

Congrats for quitting smoking! Well done.

I have a friend who had to wear their wedding ring on their thumb after losing 40lbs. Hands get skinnier/fatter as you lose/gain weight, it seems reasonable that the same happens to your feet.

Enjoy being able to breathe again, I bet you'll drop that extra weight quickly.

denace

May 29, 2010
Holland
Congrats for quitting smoking! Well done.

I have a friend who had to wear their wedding ring on their thumb after losing 40lbs. Hands get skinnier/fatter as you lose/gain weight, it seems reasonable that the same happens to your feet.

Enjoy being able to breathe again, I bet you'll drop that extra weight quickly.

Thanks mate ! I think I will :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->